Difference between receiving a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom and a prophecy?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm intrigued. Is this something that has happened? Or is it a purely hypothetical question?

Check out this testimony. This is the best testimony on Word of Knowledge I've ever watched:

Word of knowledge testimony

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi.

From what I understand, wisdom used in this context is in some sense the awareness of of the power of the cross.
And Knowledge seems to be a knowing of theology in some sense.
Regarding these two, I found this in one of my lexicons:
“gnōsis [knowledge] is simply intuitive, sofia [wisdom] is ratiocinative also; gnōsis [knowledge] applies chiefly to the apprehension of truths, sofia [wisdom] superadds the power of reasoning about them and tracing their relations.”
As for prophesy, I see this more as a working of a word of the Holy Spirit.
I found this:
"of the endowment and speech of the Christian teachers called profētai (see profētēs, II. 1 f.): Rom. 12:6; 1 Cor. 12:10; 13:2; 14:6,22;"

Hi!

I find understanding things in the way in which we understand them naturally often comes with implicit biases. I have not given my definition(s) without looking into the topic as I demonstrated with clear signification where I was getting my info.

Hi all. I just want to point out that I fully agree that the Gifts of the Spirit, or as it says in the Greek, "The Spiritual" are for today. I have just found that what we often think about these terms in our modern understanding of words is often far removed from the original meaning. So I would fully affirm that as a word of wisdom is a kind of "deep understanding of Christ and the cross" that this is very much a Spiritual thing, just as a word of knowledge is a kind of "deep understanding of theology" is equally a Spiritual thing. Further I did not wish to cause a matter of contention of the Spiritual Gifts, I just wanted to illuminate what those terms (knowledge, wisdom, prophesy) actually mean in the context Paul meant them.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting that word of knowledge testimony TruthSeek3r.

That's one thing I've noticed that often when a word of knowledge is given, it is accurate and only God could know that information, It gets our attention..

When I hear folks say, I wouldn't accept anything spoken to me unless I know the prophet. One guy said he would rebuke him openly in the church. But I had rather it be someone I don't know because there's no way for them to know that info but God.

The word of wisdom doesn't always follow. But folks are more prone to "hear" it after a word of knowledge has been given. Even with the testimony above - it was the word of knowledge that really got his attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Hi all. I just want to point out that I fully agree that the Gifts of the Spirit, or as it says in the Greek, "The Spiritual" are for today. I have just found that what we often think about these terms in our modern understanding of words is often far removed from the original meaning. So I would fully affirm that as a word of wisdom is a kind of "deep understanding of Christ and the cross" that this is very much a Spiritual thing, just as a word of knowledge is a kind of "deep understanding of theology" is equally a Spiritual thing. Further I did not wish to cause a matter of contention of the Spiritual Gifts, I just wanted to illuminate what those terms (knowledge, wisdom, prophesy) actually mean in the context Paul meant them.
Given you think our understanding is so far from the original meaning of the words, how about showing us how your theology works out in real life.

Please give us your personal, real life experiences of the word of knowledge, word of wisdom, and word of prophecy in action.

Such experience might include both receiving such words from other believers, or giving words you have received from the Holy Spirit, to other believers.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting that word of knowledge testimony TruthSeek3r.

That's one thing I've noticed that often when a word of knowledge is given, it is accurate and only God could know that information, It gets our attention..

When I hear folks say, I wouldn't accept anything spoken to me unless I know the prophet. One guy said he would rebuke him openly in the church. But I had rather it be someone I don't know because there's no way for them to know that info but God.

The word of wisdom doesn't always follow. But folks are more prone to "hear" it after a word of knowledge has been given. Even with the testimony above - it was the word of knowledge that really got his attention.
Exactly. Spot on on all counts. The word of Knowledge will often come to bring more weight to the word of Wisdom and both are often delivered through Prophecy. (The gifts very often work together).

When I minister I prefer to not know anything about the situation. Now, that's not always possible, but for me it is preferred. I will even stop people from giving me information before I prophesy so I have less opportunity to be influenced by my natural knowledge.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have a friend who God uses to prophecy some, Asking him about it. Sometimes God shows him a few words that have been written and when he speaks those, God reveals a few more, etc til the end. (I'm envious of that method).

A question - some say the manifestation of the spiritual gifts is just for believers. Imo think they're directed by the Holy Spirit so we just need to obey His leading. The different translations state everyone, all who are His, and all creatures.

But what do you think "...to profit withal" means?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Have a friend who God uses to prophecy some, Asking him about it. Sometimes God shows him a few words that have been written and when he speaks those, God reveals a few more, etc til the end. (I'm envious of that method).
I move in various gifts, somewhat erratically! But often in prophecy, it starts off with a single word, or a picture. When I start to speak, it comes out like ticker tape. I don't know where its going to lead.
A question - some say the manifestation of the spiritual gifts is just for believers. Imo think they're directed by the Holy Spirit so we just need to obey His leading. But what do you think "...to profit withal" means?
The gifts are meant for those who the Lord directs them to be given, believer or not. the best example is to see who the Lord spoke to, anyone and everyone, and he was the very source of all gifts.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A question - some say the manifestation of the spiritual gifts is just for believers. Imo think they're directed by the Holy Spirit so we just need to obey His leading. The different translations state everyone, all who are His, and all creatures.

But what do you think "...to profit withal" means?
I flow that way quite often as well. It's not as difficult as it sounds. As with all prophesy it takes trust in God, but once you get some practice with it you find it comes pretty naturally. God will often give me a initial word, phrase, picture/vision or combination, when I step out and begin to speak the rest begins to fall into place... it actually makes it easier to prophesy because it gives you less room to over-think things.

Are the gifts for believers only? Think about it this way. If a prophetic word, or miracle causes an unbeliever to give their life to Christ, was that word/miracle technically given to a unbeliever or a believer? I guess that would depend on how one looked at it. How does God look at it? His will is that none would perish but all would come to repentance (come to Him). The gifts are meant to edify the body of Christ... is adding souls to the body edifying? It certainly is.

The "withal" word actually bears this out as well. NKJV and others say it something like "for the profit of all". However, the Greek word used here talks not only about helping or being profitable but it also talks about bringing "together". So the gifts are designed to produce unity. Another way we could look at bringing an unbeliever into the kingdom of God is bringing them in "together" with us.

Now, order is very important, and there are times and places where this is appropriate and where it is not. For example we shouldn't go around operating in the gifts publicly as we please or to people who didn't give us permission.

• Winner
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Appreciate you guys time and input Thanks for giving needed info.

Wondered about these for a long time, Plus they might help others.

How to give a corrective word? Ex - God wants you to spend more time with Him in praise and worship, etc

Have you had someone openly reject what's been said to them and how did you handle it?

"Despise not prophesyings. So do you explain - "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (I Thess 5:20-21).

Has God given you a word that you really didn't want to say like He did with Jonah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How to give a corrective word? Ex - God wants you to spend more time with Him in praise and worship, etc
How = in love. When operating in the gift of prophesy this should be done very carefully. A right word can be delivered in a wrong way and cause damage. The example you give is fine. But say you sensed someone was having an affair (not likely to happen when operating in the "gift" but it's just an example) instead of calling out the affair you can say something like, "you have come to a fork in the road and one path leads to darkness the other to light, choose the light and follow me" The recipient would know what that meant, yet would not be embarrassed and the word still encouraged them to follow God.

The more direct style of correction should be reserved for 5-fold ministers and only once other forms have been rejected... but still done with a heart of love.

Have you had someone openly reject what's been said to them and how did you handle it?
Many times. The most memorable is a time a guy came up to me after service and was super excited about what I preached. He tells me multiple times how I can give it to him straight and he can handle it. Then he tells me about how bad his wife is and how much deliverance she needed. I could easily discern that was reversed and he was hiding something... I didn't need God to help me with that. So I ever so slightly... and I mean slightly... nudged him to first examine himself. Because he can't change his wife anyway, but we can always improve ourselves. I didn't even get to finish. He shouted, turned and stormed off in a rage slamming the door behind him... have never seen him since.

I've also had people flat out reject prophetic words. However, I have also had a good number come back to me later and repent and tell me that I was right (It was God, but you know what I mean) and they just didn't want to listen.

The way you handle it is this: You have thick skin, but maintain a soft heart. When operating in the gifts, especially prophesy, your job is releasing it, not the fulfillment. Fulfillment is between them and God and their pastor/mentor if they so choose. In other words release it then let go of it.

Has God given you a word that you really didn't want to say like He did with Jonah?
Many times, probably not for the same reason as Jonah though. This is why I always try to say a quick prayer grounded in God's love for that person before I release a word... it puts my mind in the correct place.

Usually when I have a word I don't want to release it is because it is super specific and/or big (major life event). Big life events should be limited to 5-fold ministers, the very seasoned, or prophetic presbytery. But I've gotten such words from time to time and I'm super careful to release them. Just had one a few weeks ago. SUPER specific and a big deal for this person. I almost didn't release it, but God wouldn't let me move on until I did. 2 weeks later it basically happened (it's still ongoing, but it is happening). The word was needed to prepare this person for this very unique and unexpected situation.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Example of a Word of knowledge.
The following was initially posted elsewhere on the forums. Can a born-again Christian have a demon? | Page 4 | Christian Forums

Over 30 years ago, (here in the UK) when I was still fairly new in the game, I and a friend were asked to pray for a visitor to the church.
She gave very little clues as to what her problem was, so after committing the problems to the Lord, I suggested we waited on God for a word of knowledge or something.

After a few minutes, I received the following word. "The spirit of Mormon".
At the time, I had no real understanding of Mormonism to guide me, so I spoke out the word to her.
She was immediately very indignant, saying she had never had anything to do with Mormonism. I apologised and we carried on waiting and doing some general prayer.

Then suddenly, she cried out and put her hand over her mouth in shock. "I've just remembered," she said, "When I was a little girl, my mother told me the story of my great great great great grandfather. He went to America and went out on the great trek to Salt Lake with Brigham Young!"

That trek to Salt lake happened about 140 years prior to us praying with this faithful Christian lady. Nevertheless, by a simple Word of Knowledge, God revealed that a demon of Mormonism had travelled down the family line, father to daughter etc, and was still within her and spiritually oppressing her, and making her walk difficult
Needless to say, we drove it out, making sure it had no right to continue any further down her family line.
As can be seen, the recipient initially reacted with indignation, denying the very idea, until the Lord triggered her memory..

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Silly question here, but if God gives you prophecy do you have to tell it to all or what happens if you keep it to yourself? I think I would feel guilty if I kept it to myself, but would be afraid to tell anybody because fearing nobody would believe me. Very informative thread btw thanks!

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Silly question here, but if God gives you prophecy do you have to tell it to all or what happens if you keep it to yourself? I think I would feel guilty if I kept it to myself, but would be afraid to tell anybody because fearing nobody would believe me. Very informative thread btw thanks!
One of the most important parts of prophecy is timing and delivery. Knowing when to release it and who to release it to. That being the case, one area that is often missed in prophesying is talking back to God. When God gives us a word, we can take some time and talk to Him, ask Him who it's for and when and where it should be delivered. That being said, God will never ask you to do something out of order. Glory follows order.

I have had prophetic words that I have never released. This can be a powerful tool God uses to train us and build up our confidence. We have a word, don't release it, then someone else releases something very similar, or we see it come to pass. Now we have learned and grown without ever releasing anything. Now, the idea is to grow enough so that you DO eventual release the words God gives you, but this can be a part of the process. I could give all kinds of examples, it's actually quite common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do we know if we are just picking clues mentally about a person, or Holy Spirit is actually telling us?
Practice and being around the prophetic as much as you can be. I've found people are hearing the Holy Spirit more often than they think, but they often doubt it and dismiss it as their own thoughts.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
One of the most important parts of prophecy is timing and delivery. Knowing when to release it and who to release it to. That being the case, one area that is often missed in prophesying is talking back to God. When God gives us a word, we can take some time and talk to Him, ask Him who it's for and when and where it should be delivered. That being said, God will never ask you to do something out of order. Glory follows order.

I have had prophetic words that I have never released. This can be a powerful tool God uses to train us and build up our confidence. We have a word, don't release it, then someone else releases something very similar, or we see it come to pass. Now we have learned and grown without ever releasing anything. Now, the idea is to grow enough so that you DO eventual release the words God gives you, but this can be a part of the process. I could give all kinds of examples, it's actually quite common.

I would like to know what kind of words you have been given? I think I have difficulty to understand difference between words of knowledge and words of prophecy.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to know what kind of words you have been given? I think I have difficulty to understand difference between words of knowledge and words of prophecy.

I think this video explains it quite well, plus they share very impressive anecdotes of word of knowledge a few minutes in.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've flowed in all of them many times as have many in my congregation. One time recently that sticks out is when a young man who regularly attends our church came in a bit late, after worship had started, so I had no chance to talk with him. During worship myself and another person both got a prophetic word for him, a "call out" prophecy. Doesn't happen all that often, but it's not unusual either. Anyway, between the two of us we prophesied promotion, and that God was going to give him a business that would also be a ministry along with a few other details and encouragement.

What I couldn't know at the time was that he had walked in with a notebook, and in that notebook he had written down a business plan that he thought the Lord had given him and he wanted to ask me about it after service. Well the two of us basically prophesied everything that he had written down including - unknowingly - the name of the business. Additionally a few weeks later he also got promoted.

Now, that would be a word of knowledge, and word of wisdom delivered via a prophetic word.

Here's the thing, understanding the what the gifts of the Spirit are and how they work is good, but Paul considers that the "milk" of the word, not "meat" (see 1 Cor 3... basically he says the entire letter is "milk"). When writing to more mature churches Paul doesn't differentiate between the gifts, instead he says things like, "continue to walk in the Spirit". My point is, there should come a time in our growth where which gift is which and which I am operating in stops mattering (understand I'm not saying the gifts don't matter but the differentiating) and just doing what God asks you to matters.

When I was ministering to that young man I wasn't worried about which gift I needed, I just knew I was supposed to minister to him because I know the voice of the Holy Spirit and trust Him so I just acted on that... I was walking in the Spirit. Afterwards I learned which gifts were in operation (likely some of the gift of faith was in action as well)

Don't get me wrong, discussions like this are very valuable and necessary, but I believe it is valuable to know that the goal of the maturing process is to move beyond them and just respond to His Spirit. Hope that makes sense!

Upvote 0