Difference between receiving a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom and a prophecy?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 12 (KJV) says:

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

From a practical point of view (based on your own understanding and personal experience), what is the difference between a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge and a prophecy? Are they synonymous/interchangeable expressions to some extent, or do they mean different things?

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

From a practical point of view (based on your own understanding and personal experience), what is the difference between a word of wisdom, a word of knowledge and a prophecy? Are they synonymous/interchangeable expressions to some extent, or do they mean different things?
Wisdom usually comes from years experience, knowledge comes from those who study earnestly and prophetic utterances come from those who specifically and continually remind the Body of Christ of God's truth whether it be past ,present or future. My take anyway. Blessings.

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Knowledge informs — Awareness
Wisdoms instructs — Application of what we know
Prophecy foretells — What is; what is to come

Speaking gifts often work together. It isn’t uncommon for someone with a word of knowledge to also have a word of wisdom. The pair are more insightful than one alone.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Knowledge informs — Awareness
Wisdoms instructs — Application of what we know
Prophecy foretells — What is; what is to come

Speaking gifts often work together. It isn’t uncommon for someone with a word of knowledge to also have a word of wisdom. The pair are more insightful than one alone.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

How do you call it when person A receives specific revelations from the Holy Spirit about person B's life that person B has not shared with anyone, and person A shares these revelations with person B and B is in shock ("how did he/she know that ?!!!!"). Is that a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom or a prophecy?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you call it when person A receives specific revelations from the Holy Spirit about person B's life that person B has not shared with anyone, and person A shares these revelations with person B and B is in shock ("how did he/she know that ?!!!!"). Is that a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom or a prophecy?

Knowledge. :)

I’ll use myself to demonstrate them as received from the Lord.

My calling as a fashion designer = Knowledge
My 10 year business plan = Wisdom
My 4 layered ministry = Prophecy

I received the prophecy first: Who I am
Then knowledge: My mission
Then wisdom: Order of events

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A word of knowledge reveals information about the past or the present that the minister could not have know him/herself. It reveals God's mind/knowledge

A word of wisdom reveals God's will for the future. It is not automatically expressing what will happen, but God's will. We can reject the word, but that doesn't mean it wasn't God's will.

Prophecy is God expressing His heart to a person or group of people. Prophecy is often the vehicle that delivers words of knowledge and words of wisdom.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
These are manifestation gifts of the Holy Spirit, not natural talents or abilities. The HS is present in them. A word of knowledge reveals facts concerning the past or present. Jesus had a word of knowledge about the woman at the well's past and current life. A word of wisdom gives insight into how to approach a situation. It often will run counter to conventional wisdom. For instance, once I was dress-rehearsing the church choir, and it was horrendous. We were acapella and kept going flat. I had no idea what to do. The in my spirit I knew it was not going to be a problem the next day (Easter Sunday), and I shouldn't pay it any concern. And that is exactly how it worked out.

Prophecy is the revealing of things from heaven. We most often think of it as foretelling, but it also can be anointed forthtelling of the Gospel in such a way that it has great effect. Again, sometimes the forthtelling can run counter to what we learned in Evangelism 101.

Upvote 0

Po1eca7

Jan 2, 2021
North Staffordshire
✟15,736.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm intrigued. Is this something that has happened? Or is it a purely hypothetical question?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a word of knowledge

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm intrigued. Is this something that has happened? Or is it a purely hypothetical question?

It hasn't happened to me personally, but I've come across a few testimonies where these sorts of experiences are testified. Edit: e.g. see this Gift/word of knowledge?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Po1eca7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Po1eca7

Jan 2, 2021
North Staffordshire
✟15,736.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It hasn't happened to me personally, but I've come across a few testimonies where these sorts of experiences are testified. Edit: e.g. see this Gift/word of knowledge?
That's great - thanks very much for the link. I don't have these gifts, and it hasn't happened to me. I've long been curious to find out from people with these experiences what it is like. But on the very rare occassion I've come across people relating such experiences, I've been too scared they might think I'm disbelieving them to ask! It looks like I just need to spend a bit of time reading Job3315's writings...

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi.

From what I understand, wisdom used in this context is in some sense the awareness of of the power of the cross.
And Knowledge seems to be a knowing of theology in some sense.
Regarding these two, I found this in one of my lexicons:
“gnōsis [knowledge] is simply intuitive, sofia [wisdom] is ratiocinative also; gnōsis [knowledge] applies chiefly to the apprehension of truths, sofia [wisdom] superadds the power of reasoning about them and tracing their relations.”
As for prophesy, I see this more as a working of a word of the Holy Spirit.
I found this:
"of the endowment and speech of the Christian teachers called profētai (see profētēs, II. 1 f.): Rom. 12:6; 1 Cor. 12:10; 13:2; 14:6,22;"

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's great - thanks very much for the link. I don't have these gifts, and it hasn't happened to me. I've long been curious to find out from people with these experiences what it is like. But on the very rare occassion I've come across people relating such experiences, I've been too scared they might think I'm disbelieving them to ask! It looks like I just need to spend a bit of time reading Job3315's writings...
If you are born again you have these gifts, you just need to believe that you do and be trained and activated in them.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are born again you have these gifts, you just need to believe that you do and be trained and activated in them.

How can you be trained and activated in the spiritual gifts? Are there biblical examples of this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Po1eca7

Jan 2, 2021
North Staffordshire
✟15,736.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To be explicit: I don't doubt the existence of such gifts, nor did I mean to imply any doubt about the existence of such gifts. In response to topher694's reply to me, I would probably have been more accurate saying "I don't believe I've experienced these gifts personally".

I've not heard anyone argue, though, that it is necessary to believe that all Christians have got all of the spiritual gifts. Mind you, I am new here.

At the moment it's merely fair to say that I do doubt that much.

Upvote 0

Po1eca7

Jan 2, 2021
North Staffordshire
✟15,736.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
How can you be trained and activated in the spiritual gifts? Are there biblical examples of this?
There is ample Biblical evidence at least some of the original Apostles had multiple types of these gifts. In spades. Book of Acts (most of it, actually). There is at least one of Paul's letters, as well, in which he indicates he can pass on such gifts to others. I think it might be 1 Thessalonians but I'm not 100 percent sure.

There exists debate about the extent to which this applies to today, and if I understand the rules (I'm new), this thread is intended for people who accept this is the case.

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." I Cor 12:7

"Every man" in this case is referring to all believers = "For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ" I COR 12:12

Over 10 times in this chapter, it states the Spirit gives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be explicit: I don't doubt the existence of such gifts, nor did I mean to imply any doubt about the existence of such gifts. In response to topher694's reply to me, I would probably have been more accurate saying "I don't believe I've experienced these gifts personally".

I've not heard anyone argue, though, that it is necessary to believe that all Christians have got all of the spiritual gifts. Mind you, I am new here.

At the moment it's merely fair to say that I do doubt that much.

I do believe the gifts of the Spirit (which I believe are better understood today as the "tools" of the Spirit) occur today, but my reading of scripture indicates that most people will have only one or two of them, not all of them.

We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. -- Romans 12

This does not mean that someone without the gift of teaching cannot be pressed by circumstances into that role, or that someone without the gift of serving ("helps") cannot serve, or that someone without the gift of giving cannot ever give.

But those people won't have the ability from the Holy Spirit to "run and not grow weary" in that effort as would someone who has the spiritual gift.

I've seen people operating within their spiritual gifts, and such people don't grow weary...operating in their spiritual gift stokes them. If you ever see it happening in front of you, it's like a "wow" moment. Oh, their physical bodies will need to get rest at some point, but as soon as they wake up and eat a meal, they're ready to get back into it.

I've even seen people who truly have the gift of giving who just can't run out of money. As much as they give, their businesses thrive even more to allow even more giving. But not everyone has that gift.

• Agree
Reactions: Po1eca7
Upvote 0

Po1eca7

Jan 2, 2021
North Staffordshire
✟15,736.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." I Cor 12:7

"Every man" in this case is referring to all believers = "For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ" I COR 12:12

Over 10 times in this chapter, it states the Spirit gives.
It doesn't say every manifestation, though. Many of Paul's other writings indicate different people have different gifts, and that all are of value, like as different parts of the body are in spite of having different functions. This isn't a big thing for me. I mean it is not credal. And I think it's almost certainly fine to believe all Christians may be given access by God to any of the gifts of the spirit, and in today's age. My doubt is only over the extent it's necessary to do so. I'm merely unconvinced of that.

[EDIT: just a couple of typos and a misplaced apostrophe!]

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0