The Wild West
✟470,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That said, the "Christian Church" that merged with the Congregational Church was itself a prototype of the Restoration Movement that spawned the Disciples of Christ. James O'Kelly, Abner Jones, and Elias Smith in upper New England had become dissatisfied with denominationalism and formed small, localized restoration movements. Barton Stone, who with Alexander Campbell are credited with the larger Restoration Movement, had formed his own group that had been influenced by O'Kelly's views. These groups all merged into the Christian Connection in 1804. However, when Stone and Campbell joined forces in 1832, many from the O'Kelly and Smith/Jones movements chose not to participate, but continued using the name "Christian Church". This was the faction that would merge with the Congregationalists a century later.

I think some stayed independent, and can be found as a mini denomination, sort of like the small group of Evangelical United Brethren who refused to join with the Methodist Episcopal Church.

So by the way I was chatting earlier today with my Episcopalian friend on this forum about the UCC. We were both curious if anyone else presently or formerly affiliated with it is in membership on this forum.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think some stayed independent, and can be found as a mini denomination, sort of like the small group of Evangelical United Brethren who refused to join with the Methodist Episcopal Church.

So by the way I was chatting earlier today with my Episcopalian friend on this forum about the UCC. We were both curious if anyone else presently or formerly affiliated with it is in membership on this forum.

I was on staff at a UCC church for a couple of years, so I can answer some questions.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The UCC actually has some churches that came from the Restorationist movement, and has close ties with the Disciple of Christ.

The UCC is alot like Episcopalians or Anglicans in being a broad church with a great deal of theological pluralism. Individual congregations also aren't necessarily as liberal as the national body.

I've recently been listening to alot of podcasts of the Rev. Michael Landsman, who is a UCC pastor in Pennsylvania. His congregation is relatively conservative, and he grew up Pentecostal. There is also an associate pastor at our current church who grew up as a Pentecostal as well, and I've gotten to know him. He joined the UCC after working as a church planter in Connecticut, and decided to make the switch to being a Mainline Protestant pastor instead. Our congregation here in Orlando is more liberal than the Rev. Michael Landsman's, but I wouldn't say it's even close to being the most liberal in the denomination.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0