Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To my knowledge, it's my understanding the CoC view baptism as necessary to salvation- what is the view of the UCC?

I think someone earlier mentioned the UCC has Lutheran influence, is the UCC liturgical in worship? How would it differ from a regular Baptist church?

In general the UCC, with its Lutheran and Congregationalist influences, is liturgical in worship, though the degree of "high church" worship varies by congregation.

You would generally hear two to three Scripture readings from the lectionary during UCC worship, as opposed to just hearing the sermon text as one would in a Baptist church. Infant baptism is commonly practiced rather than believer's baptism; though we wouldn't hesitate to baptize an adult convert (generally by sprinkling). That said, a UCC'er is not likely to say that baptism is necessary for salvation, and many in the UCC are reluctant to talk of a "decision" for salvation in a way that a Baptist would.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

briquest

Jun 11, 2015
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
1 Peter 4:11King James Version (KJV)
11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Romans 16:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
Matthew 19:14 King James Version (KJV)
14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Acts 2:46-47
42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43
47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine.
The Lord adds you to his church.
church of Christ
1 Timothy 4:1American Standard Version (ASV)
4 But the Spirit saith expressly, that in later times some shall fall away from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons,

Matthew 15:9
King James Bible
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Isaiah 29:13
The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.
Matthew 15:9
King James Bible
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nova2216
Upvote 0

Faith Issues

Oct 7, 2015
✟15,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great discussion!

I've been going to churches of Christ churches for the past 25 years. I've always struggled with the "baptism is essential for Salvation" point of view. In my heart it seems that saying baptism is essential for Salvation is saying that what Jesus did was not enough. I've always struggled with that. But there are scriptures seem to say baptism is essential. But I've been studying this topic lately because I have a 12 year old who is asking a lot of questions about being saved. He's being told by his "grandmamma" that he needs to be baptized to be saved. It bothers me a little that she doesn't even mention the Cross. But the subject is SO important, I really don't want to steer him wrong. Don't get me wrong. I believe baptism is VERY important. No one who was ever saved said, "Baptism? Nah. No thanks!" We have many examples of it's significance.

Hey... while I'm here, are there any scholars that can help explain the following verses as it relates to salvation/baptism? Is this saying baptism IS essential for salvation? Or is there something I'm missing in the original language/interpretation that explains why it's really not necessary for salvation? Here are a few of those scriptures...
  • Acts 2:38 - Says "...for the remission of sin..." meaning that's how to become saved.
  • Acts 22:16 - Says "...Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away..."
  • Mark 16:16 - Says "...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved..."
  • John 3:5 - Says "...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."
  • 1 Peter 3:21 - Says "...baptism that now saves us..."
  • Romans 6 – The entire chapter.
Of course, if it really is saying that baptism IS essential for Salvation, I'll accept that. It'll be weird in terms of how I'm thinking of it, the Cross, etc. But I'm just in search of the TRUTH.

Looking forward to the different points of view out there.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great discussion!

I've been going to churches of Christ churches for the past 25 years. I've always struggled with the "baptism is essential for Salvation" point of view. In my heart it seems that saying baptism is essential for Salvation is saying that what Jesus did was not enough. I've always struggled with that. But there are scriptures seem to say baptism is essential. But I've been studying this topic lately because I have a 12 year old who is asking a lot of questions about being saved. He's being told by his "grandmamma" that he needs to be baptized to be saved. It bothers me a little that she doesn't even mention the Cross. But the subject is SO important, I really don't want to steer him wrong. Don't get me wrong. I believe baptism is VERY important. No one who was ever saved said, "Baptism? Nah. No thanks!" We have many examples of it's significance.

Hey... while I'm here, are there any scholars that can help explain the following verses as it relates to salvation/baptism? Is this saying baptism IS essential for salvation? Or is there something I'm missing in the original language/interpretation that explains why it's really not necessary for salvation? Here are a few of those scriptures...
  • Acts 2:38 - Says "...for the remission of sin..." meaning that's how to become saved.
  • Acts 22:16 - Says "...Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away..."
  • Mark 16:16 - Says "...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved..."
  • John 3:5 - Says "...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."
  • 1 Peter 3:21 - Says "...baptism that now saves us..."
  • Romans 6 – The entire chapter.
Of course, if it really is saying that baptism IS essential for Salvation, I'll accept that. It'll be weird in terms of how I'm thinking of it, the Cross, etc. But I'm just in search of the TRUTH.

Looking forward to the different points of view out there.

One needs to see that baptism is obedience to take a stand with the Lord Jesus against the unbelieving world. If one does not want to be baptized that one is not willing to honor the Lord in this world. Baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only two ordinances given to a Christian to keep.

As to Acts 2:38 the rendering is properly translated as "unto the remission of sin", not how to be saved as "into";
Acts 22:16 is counsel to Paul as he was being called to his apostolic mission;
Mark 16:16 speaks of obedience to honor God, and note there in the KJV at least that not believing is the issue rather than baptism for salvation;
John 3:5 speaks of water as the Word of God, not baptism (water is often used as God's Word);
1 Pet. 3:21 is self-explanatory if properly read, and shows baptism is not salvation, but a matter of honor and conscience;
Romans 6 needs to be read prayerfully in conjunction with the whole testimony to see it does not say baptism saves.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Great discussion!

I've been going to churches of Christ churches for the past 25 years. I've always struggled with the "baptism is essential for Salvation" point of view.

Just so you know, this forum is for the United Church of Christ. It is a fairly liberal church in the Reformed tradition. You're probably thinking of one flavor of Church of Christ. It's covered in this forum: http://www.christianforums.com/forums/no-creed-but-christ-restoration-movement.448/.

A typical United Church of Christd position would be that baptism is the normal sign of entrance into the Church, and a participation in Christ’s death and resurrection, but that that doesn’t make it a legal requirement for salvation.

Apparently most UCC churches do not require baptism for someone to participate in communion. (http://www.ucc.org/should-the-non-baptized-receiv), though not all members and pastors agree that this is appropriate.

Here’s a paper from the UCC about baptism and communion: http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...sm-eucharist-and-ministry-1982.pdf?1418423630

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Hedrick,
No Restorationist Church of Christ off-shoot is anything like the United Church of Christ.
However, before dropping this misplaced subject, can someone confirm or deny whether there are three main offshoots from the Campbellities? Yes, Church of Christ has been well-explained above as the legitimist Fundamentalist preserver in contrast to the rather liberal Disciples of Christ. However, what about the group(s) in the middle, called variously above as CC or Churches of Christ and quite possibly also as instrumental Churches of Christ? Putting aside the out-of-bound Boston Church of Christ, are the three or four main groupings from right to left, namely Churches of Christ (non-instrumental), Churches of Christ (instrumental), Christian Church, and Disciples of Christ? Are the two in the middle for all practical purposes the same? Do any of them admit the Nicene Creed, which would make that one a conceivable future choice for me (I liked the Christian Church I attended occasionally from 2004 to 2005).

Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Sin separates one from the Lord according to (Isa.59:1,2) (Rom.3:23 ; 6:23) (Jas.1:13-15).

So sin is the problem no doubt.

We must learn how sins are forgiven.

It's not by belief "ALONE" for it is nowhere taught in Gods word.

It is not by prayer b/c the Lord does not hear sinners according to (Jn 9:31).

If Paul was saved before water baptism then he was saved while still in his sins.

The Lord told Paul to -

go to Damascus,

to the street called straight,

to Judas' house,

to see Ananias and he will tell you what you "MUST" DO (Ac.9).

Three Days Later
(Acts 9:9)

We see Paul in Damascus at Judas's house in (Ac.22:16).

He is still in his sins.

Sin separates man from God (Isa.59:1,2).

your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

So we know Paul was "not" saved when he gets to Judas house.

Ananias tells Paul what he "must do" to be saved in (Ac.22:16).

16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Notice the word "and" connects "baptize" and "wash away thy sins". (Ac.22:16)

Why did they Holy Spirit use the word "and" here? (Ac.2216)

Now read (1Peter 3:20,21) - baptism doth also now save us

Question - When was Paul's sins washed away?

1. Arise
2. Be Baptized
3. Wash Away Your Sins

When was Pauls sins washed away?

BEFORE or AFTER - baptism (Ac.22:16)

Question - Did Paul come to water baptism thinking his sins were "already forgiven" or was he "looking forward to having his sins forgiven" (by the blood of Jesus) at the point of water baptism? (Eph.1:7) (Rev.1:5) (Ac.22:16) (Mark 16:15,16)

Thanks

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My knowledge of the CoC and DoC are somewhat limited. The UCC is very different in most every way form these other two. It tends to be liberal, ordaining both women and active GLBT.

It does have some conservative congregations, though when compared to other conservative denoms, they too are rather liberal.

The UCC started back in the 50's by a merging of the Congergational and the Evangelical/Reformed Churches. It has a heavy Lutheran influence.

To learn more, go to www.ucc.org

Actually, the Lutheran influence in the UCC is minimal. What happened was in Prussia, the Calvinist monarchy desired to merge the Calvinist and Lutheran churches into a single state church, the result being a bland and compromised Church of Prussia. On the basis of ethnic identity, German immigrants to the US from Prussia initially tried to transplant the Prussian church here, with a congregational polity. Soon, however, there was a massive rupture, and the result was the Lutheran Churh - Missouri Synod, and the Calvinist Evangelical and Reformed Church, which in 1957 merged with most of the Congregationalists, whose backbone was the former Puritan community in New England, specifically those Congregational churches which remained true to the Christian faith and did not embrace Unitarians (sadly, several of our oldest and most important churches, such as the oldest intact church building in the US, the Old Ship Church in Rhode Island, wound up in Unitarian hands, due to an abuse of the congregational polity).*

Also in the 1950s, frustrated traditional congregationalists who were opposed to the political direction of the movement broke away to form the CCCC, whose oldest and most famous parish is the Park Street Church in Boston, which I use as my avatar.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There were 4 streams of Christianity that fed into the UCC in 1957. I wonder how you would characterize them all?

The German Reformed Church in the United States + The Evangelicals Church = the Evangelical and Reformed Church. (1934 merger)

The Congregational Church + Christian Church = The Congregational Christian Church (1931 merger).

The Congregational Christian Church + The Evangelical & Reformed Church = The United Church of Christ (1957 merger)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kepp

Nov 18, 2005
✟19,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin separates one from the Lord according to (Isa.59:1,2) (Rom.3:23 ; 6:23) (Jas.1:13-15).

So sin is the problem no doubt.

We must learn how sins are forgiven.

It's not by belief "ALONE" for it is nowhere taught in Gods word.

It is not by prayer b/c the Lord does not hear sinners according to (Jn 9:31).

If Paul was saved before water baptism then he was saved while still in his sins.

The Lord told Paul to -

go to Damascus,

to the street called straight,

to Judas' house,

to see Ananias and he will tell you what you "MUST" DO (Ac.9).

Three Days Later
(Acts 9:9)

We see Paul in Damascus at Judas's house in (Ac.22:16).

He is still in his sins.

Sin separates man from God (Isa.59:1,2).

your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

So we know Paul was "not" saved when he gets to Judas house.

Ananias tells Paul what he "must do" to be saved in (Ac.22:16).

16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Notice the word "and" connects "baptize" and "wash away thy sins". (Ac.22:16)

Why did they Holy Spirit use the word "and" here? (Ac.2216)

Now read (1Peter 3:20,21) - baptism doth also now save us

Question - When was Paul's sins washed away?

1. Arise
2. Be Baptized
3. Wash Away Your Sins

When was Pauls sins washed away?

BEFORE or AFTER - baptism (Ac.22:16)

Question - Did Paul come to water baptism thinking his sins were "already forgiven" or was he "looking forward to having his sins forgiven" (by the blood of Jesus) at the point of water baptism? (Eph.1:7) (Rev.1:5) (Ac.22:16) (Mark 16:15,16)

Thanks

Paul's recollection of his conversion in Acts 22 (verse 16, specifically) answers the question for me:

"Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name."

It seems that he entered baptism looking forward to having his sins forgiven. Thoughts?

Reactions: Nova2216
Upvote 0

kepp

Nov 18, 2005
✟19,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was the thief on the cross baptized? :scratch:
3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. -Romans 6:3-4

Can't be baptized into Jesus' death if he hadn't yet died. And...

"But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" from Mark 2

Jesus certainly had the authority to do what He did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What version(s) do you consider sound?

The KJV has been studied and supported by Bible scholars over 300-400 years, and many esteemed teachers support it. I use the Scofield KJV Study Bible, which holds to the wording, and adds some footnotes for clarity; and commentary to that which were allowed by various printers to please modernists who want language simple for modern readers ---not a scholarly thing to do.

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Was the thief on the cross baptized? :scratch:
The cross of Christ is the partition which lies between the OT Law and the NT Law. (Rom.10:4)

Before the cross of Christ was the OT Law and after the cross of Christ the NT Law was established. (Eph. 2:14-17) (Heb.7:12 ; 8:6-13 ; 9:15-17) (Rom.10:4) (Col. 2:14-17).

Now consider "WHEN" the thief on the cross was saved. It was under the OT Law (not the NT Law). Baptism (in water) was not commanded for all men until the NT Law was established (Mt. 28:18-20) (Gal.3:27) (Rom.6:3-6 ; 16-18) (Jn 3:3-5).

One might as well be asking why wasn't Noah baptized in water as to ask why wasn't the thief baptized. They both lived under the OT Law.

Another point is that the thief could have been baptized by John.

Johns baptism was in water and for the forgiveness of sins (Mark 1:4).

Why is it so difficult for people today to accept water immersion is for the forgiveness of sins when Johns baptism accomplished the same goal? (Acts 2:38,47 ; 8:5,12,13,26-40 ; 16:30-34 ; 22:16) (Heb.10:22) (Mark 16:16) (Rom.6:3-6,16-18) (Col.:12).

Thanks

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Proper rendering of Acts 22:16 is "...and have thy sins washed away calling on the Name of the Lord" ---see a sound concordance and sound Bible version. It is by faith, not works.

(Acts 22:16) defines how to "call on the name of the Lord".

1. Arise
2. Be Baptized (in water) (Acts 8:5,12,13,26-40 ; 16:30-34)
3. Wash Away Your Sins (Acts 2:38,47) (Rom. 6:3-6, 16-18)
4. Calling on the Lord

Did Paul come to water immersion thinking his sins had "ALREADY" been forgiven?

OR

Did Paul come to water immersion thinking he "NEEDED" to have his sins forgiven?

In (1Kings 18) we see how Elijah called on the name of the Lord.

Notice all Elijah had to do in this chapter before the Lord accepted the sacrifice.

1Ki 18:30 And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down. 31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name: 32 And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed. 33 And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood. 34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time. 35 And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water. 36 And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word. 37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again. 38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. 39 And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.

How did Elijah "CALL ON THE LORD" ?

Thanks

Upvote 0

kepp

Nov 18, 2005
✟19,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The KJV has been studied and supported by Bible scholars over 300-400 years, and many esteemed teachers support it. I use the Scofield KJV Study Bible, which holds to the wording, and adds some footnotes for clarity; and commentary to that which were allowed by various printers to please modernists who want language simple for modern readers ---not a scholarly thing to do.
Thank you. I will check it out.

Upvote 0