• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Difference between churches of Christ

Discussion in 'United Church Of Christ' started by 1watchman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. actionsub

actionsub Mike, he's just this guy, you know?

+155
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    In general the UCC, with its Lutheran and Congregationalist influences, is liturgical in worship, though the degree of "high church" worship varies by congregation.

You would generally hear two to three Scripture readings from the lectionary during UCC worship, as opposed to just hearing the sermon text as one would in a Baptist church. Infant baptism is commonly practiced rather than believer's baptism; though we wouldn't hesitate to baptize an adult convert (generally by sprinkling). That said, a UCC'er is not likely to say that baptism is necessary for salvation, and many in the UCC are reluctant to talk of a "decision" for salvation in a way that a Baptist would.

Hope that helps.

2. godenver1

godenver1 Guest

+0
    Oh, I had forgotten about this!

Thanks for the reply.

3. briquest

briquest Member

+21
    Christian
    1 Peter 4:11King James Version (KJV)
    11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
    Matthew 16:18 King James Version (KJV)
    18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
    Romans 16:16 King James Version (KJV)
    16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
    Matthew 19:14 King James Version (KJV)
    14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
    Acts 2:46-47
    42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43
    47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
    And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine.
    The Lord adds you to his church.
    church of Christ
    1 Timothy 4:1American Standard Version (ASV)
    4 But the Spirit saith expressly, that in later times some shall fall away from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons,

Matthew 15:9
    King James Bible
    But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    Isaiah 29:13
    The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught.
    Matthew 15:9
    King James Bible
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Faith Issues

Faith Issues New Member

+4
    Christian
    Married
    Great discussion!

I've been going to churches of Christ churches for the past 25 years. I've always struggled with the "baptism is essential for Salvation" point of view. In my heart it seems that saying baptism is essential for Salvation is saying that what Jesus did was not enough. I've always struggled with that. But there are scriptures seem to say baptism is essential. But I've been studying this topic lately because I have a 12 year old who is asking a lot of questions about being saved. He's being told by his "grandmamma" that he needs to be baptized to be saved. It bothers me a little that she doesn't even mention the Cross. But the subject is SO important, I really don't want to steer him wrong. Don't get me wrong. I believe baptism is VERY important. No one who was ever saved said, "Baptism? Nah. No thanks!" We have many examples of it's significance.

Hey... while I'm here, are there any scholars that can help explain the following verses as it relates to salvation/baptism? Is this saying baptism IS essential for salvation? Or is there something I'm missing in the original language/interpretation that explains why it's really not necessary for salvation? Here are a few of those scriptures...
    • Acts 2:38 - Says "...for the remission of sin..." meaning that's how to become saved.
    • Acts 22:16 - Says "...Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away..."
    • Mark 16:16 - Says "...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved..."
    • John 3:5 - Says "...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."
    • 1 Peter 3:21 - Says "...baptism that now saves us..."
    • Romans 6 – The entire chapter.
    Of course, if it really is saying that baptism IS essential for Salvation, I'll accept that. It'll be weird in terms of how I'm thinking of it, the Cross, etc. But I'm just in search of the TRUTH.

Looking forward to the different points of view out there.

5. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+794
    Christian
    Married
    One needs to see that baptism is obedience to take a stand with the Lord Jesus against the unbelieving world. If one does not want to be baptized that one is not willing to honor the Lord in this world. Baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only two ordinances given to a Christian to keep.

As to Acts 2:38 the rendering is properly translated as "unto the remission of sin", not how to be saved as "into";
    Acts 22:16 is counsel to Paul as he was being called to his apostolic mission;
    Mark 16:16 speaks of obedience to honor God, and note there in the KJV at least that not believing is the issue rather than baptism for salvation;
    John 3:5 speaks of water as the Word of God, not baptism (water is often used as God's Word);
    1 Pet. 3:21 is self-explanatory if properly read, and shows baptism is not salvation, but a matter of honor and conscience;
    Romans 6 needs to be read prayerfully in conjunction with the whole testimony to see it does not say baptism saves.

6. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,860
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Just so you know, this forum is for the United Church of Christ. It is a fairly liberal church in the Reformed tradition. You're probably thinking of one flavor of Church of Christ. It's covered in this forum: http://www.christianforums.com/forums/no-creed-but-christ-restoration-movement.448/.

A typical United Church of Christd position would be that baptism is the normal sign of entrance into the Church, and a participation in Christ’s death and resurrection, but that that doesn’t make it a legal requirement for salvation.

Apparently most UCC churches do not require baptism for someone to participate in communion. (http://www.ucc.org/should-the-non-baptized-receiv), though not all members and pastors agree that this is appropriate.

Here’s a paper from the UCC about baptism and communion: http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...sm-eucharist-and-ministry-1982.pdf?1418423630

7. Korah

Korah Anglican Lutheran Supporter

+100
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, Hedrick,
    No Restorationist Church of Christ off-shoot is anything like the United Church of Christ.
    However, before dropping this misplaced subject, can someone confirm or deny whether there are three main offshoots from the Campbellities? Yes, Church of Christ has been well-explained above as the legitimist Fundamentalist preserver in contrast to the rather liberal Disciples of Christ. However, what about the group(s) in the middle, called variously above as CC or Churches of Christ and quite possibly also as instrumental Churches of Christ? Putting aside the out-of-bound Boston Church of Christ, are the three or four main groupings from right to left, namely Churches of Christ (non-instrumental), Churches of Christ (instrumental), Christian Church, and Disciples of Christ? Are the two in the middle for all practical purposes the same? Do any of them admit the Nicene Creed, which would make that one a conceivable future choice for me (I liked the Christian Church I attended occasionally from 2004 to 2005).