Difference between Church of the Brethren and United Brethren?

RSchlap

Jun 20, 2015
Michigan
✟15,155.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
In my area we have a large number of Brethren churches. Several are Church of the Brethren, and two are United Brethren. We also have a Grace Brethren.
I have been trying to find the difference between these. What sets the United Brethren apart from the Church of the Brethren? Are there doctrinal differences? Is Grace Brethren entirely different?
I plan to try these churches out and see what is a good fit for us, but I would like to know a little more about them before I do. Thank you in advance for any help!

Caretaker

Jun 7, 2013
✟18,132.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
In my area we have a large number of Brethren churches. Several are Church of the Brethren, and two are United Brethren. We also have a Grace Brethren.
I have been trying to find the difference between these. What sets the United Brethren apart from the Church of the Brethren? Are there doctrinal differences? Is Grace Brethren entirely different?
I plan to try these churches out and see what is a good fit for us, but I would like to know a little more about them before I do. Thank you in advance for any help!

I am not thoroughly familiar with church history, so I may be wrong in some of this, but my understanding is the Grace Brethren were once part of the Church of the Brethren originated by Alexander Mack, i.e., the original Schwarzenau Brethren. The United Brethren have roots in the Mennonite and German reformed movements. But that history doesn't help a whole lot with what their differences are today.

And while I'm familiar with today's Church of the Brethren, unfortunately that won't help much either because there is such a wide variety within the Church of the Brethren.

My suggestion would be to visit the churches and ask people who attend about their church history, church doctrines, and what is important to them. Combine that input with your personal observations and that should give you sufficient information to decide which one(s) to give a try.

Upvote 0

RSchlap

Jun 20, 2015
Michigan
✟15,155.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Thank you, Caretaker, that does help some :) I am going to start going and see if any of them are a good fit. There are two that have lots of children's play equipment, and so I assume lots of children, which is a big benefit as I have 5 kiddos. I think we will try those first.

MrJim, I am in Michigan :) I don't think we have nearly the anabaptist population as PA, but my little section is very rural with a large Mennonite population. About fifteen miles southeast we have a large Amish community where I do a lot of my business. I figure, I have to drive at least that far to get to town, might as well support locally owned businesses :)

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:clap:
Thank you, Caretaker, that does help some :) I am going to start going and see if any of them are a good fit. There are two that have lots of children's play equipment, and so I assume lots of children, which is a big benefit as I have 5 kiddos. I think we will try those first.

MrJim, I am in Michigan :) I don't think we have nearly the anabaptist population as PA, but my little section is very rural with a large Mennonite population. About fifteen miles southeast we have a large Amish community where I do a lot of my business. I figure, I have to drive at least that far to get to town, might as well support locally owned businesses :)

Upvote 0

Cade_One

Jan 5, 2023
Ohio
✟8,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have the same question. My co-worker is United Brethren, my Wife used to attend Grace Brethren, and I've read a book titled, "Will Catholics be 'Left Behind'?" that talks about how pre-trib theology was popularized in the late 1800's by a Plymouth Brethren by the name of John Darby. Also, about half of my co-workers from a previous job all attended the Church of the Brethren or simply Brethren Church. Is there an overlap between these faith traditions/movements or are they all completely different?

My Wife's old Youth Group at Grace was big into the premillennial rapture, which as a Catholic Christian I had never heard before. There is an Early Church Fathers who believed something similar, but most in the Early Church did not hold this relatively modern teaching.

If someone (preferably someone who is "Brethren") could shed some more light on the history between these presumably different Brethren Churches, I too am curious. Thanks : )

Upvote 0

Hotschott90

Mar 6, 2023
Houston
✟19,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have the same question. My co-worker is United Brethren, my Wife used to attend Grace Brethren, and I've read a book titled, "Will Catholics be 'Left Behind'?" that talks about how pre-trib theology was popularized in the late 1800's by a Plymouth Brethren by the name of John Darby. Also, about half of my co-workers from a previous job all attended the Church of the Brethren or simply Brethren Church. Is there an overlap between these faith traditions/movements or are they all completely different?

My Wife's old Youth Group at Grace was big into the premillennial rapture, which as a Catholic Christian I had never heard before. There is an Early Church Fathers who believed something similar, but most in the Early Church did not hold this relatively modern teaching.

If someone (preferably someone who is "Brethren") could shed some more light on the history between these presumably different Brethren Churches, I too am curious. Thanks : )
I am part of an open Plymouth brethren church. There is no affiliation with United brethren, church of brethren, Grace brethren, etc. an easy way to find a Plymouth brethren church is any church called “Bible chapel” or “gospel hall”. Only those 2 are Plymouth bretheren churches. Hope this helped. If you have any questions about what we believe, ask away.

Reactions: Cade_One
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
United Brethren are Pietists, similar to Wesleyans, descendents of German Pietists during the Second Great Awakening. Some United Brethren joined the Methodists, others did not.

My family traditionally were German-American United Brethren that joined the United Methodist church decades ago. Traditionally, Pietists and Wesleyans did not believe in the Rapture or anything like that.

Plymouth Brethren are an unrelated group that have their origins in British fundamentalist separatists. They have more in common with other British fundamentalist evangelicals.

Upvote 0

Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟36,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Church of the Brethren is one of the historic peace churches that stood against bearing the sword in war. That witness has dwindled among all these (Quakers, Mennonites) as success and the American life style gained more sway. The Ch of Brethren has had some splits as the main church became more liberal. Like all denominations, you can find a wide range. Originally they had a strong testimony and would have agreed with Spurgeon ( a Baptist) with their peace testimony.
SpurgeonMemeQ.png

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I do know most in the Brethren Church differ greatly with other Anabaptist and also Baptist concerning Baptism. Most Anabaptist sprinkle, while most Baptist dip you once. Whereas the Brethren dip/immerse you 3 times. Can’t remember if it because of Three Members of the Trinity/Godhead, our three days that Christ was in the grave or maybe both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I do know most in the Brethren Church differ greatly with other Anabaptist and also Baptist concerning Baptism. Most Anabaptist sprinkle, while most Baptist dip you once. Whereas the Brethren dip/immerse you 3 times. Can’t remember if it because of Three Members of the Trinity/Godhead, our three days that Christ was in the grave or maybe both.

Anabaptists practice baptism by effusion (pouring) of water.

Upvote 0