Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There really is no such thing as a "regular" baptist church. SBC is the largest (I think). I go to American Baptist and there are a bajillion independent baptist churches.

Biggest thing I see between the SBC and the ABC I go to is that the SBC is a more stable, more conservative, and follows the bible more closely.

Oh, and they tend to be more southern;) (pass the grits ma'am)

Upvote 0

thepianist

Sep 6, 2005
✟5,574.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CareBearPrincess said:
I've always been curious, but I've never had the opportunity to ask what the differance is. I've only attended Southern Baptist churches, purely by coincidence I assure you, so I don't have a clue. :scratch:
Thank you!

:wave: Hello, my dear! I was raised in the SBC and never really knew anything different until I was about 26. In fact, my daddy was an evangelist who mainly worked through the SBC until around 1981.

Yes, the SBC have what is called a convention. They have a cooperative program that every SBC church is to give money to. These monies don't get sent to just a missionary (like Lottie Moon) but are used to run the 'business' as well. Daddy was usually in attendance at the annual meetings - he liked to stay involved. Well, one year at the convention, it was brought up that the KJV 1611 was questionable - hey they had always believe it inerrant! Then they began talking about abortion, thinking maybe it should be okay - they have always been definitely against that! Needless to say, my parents got up and walked out of the meeting. He decided that was enough of that nonsense....and really I can't blame him.

I am one of those 'just a Baptist' kind of people. We don't really fit into a specific group - besides that, Jesus didn't die on a cross for me to argue with someone about what their denomination thinks! The little church that my daddy started before his death 7 years ago is "Baptist".......we believe that the KJV 1611 IS the inspired word of God (not that it contains some of the words of God). We teach that Jesus - plus nothing and minus nothing - is the door to heaven.....when you have once accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour, He never leaves you. Basically, I believe the way the 'old' SBC taught. Amazing how things can change with time!!!

Hope this helps dear. By the way, are you saved? :hug:

Upvote 0

pressingon

pressingon
May 18, 2004
Visit site
✟15,582.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
thepianist said:
Yes, the SBC have what is called a convention. They have a cooperative program that every SBC church is to give money to. These monies don't get sent to just a missionary (like Lottie Moon) but are used to run the 'business' as well.
Here's a website where you can find some information on the cooperative program: http://www.cpmissions.net/2003/default.asp

They do not post their budget online, but it is provided free of charge to SBC churches (there is a link where one can request it in the FAQ section of the site). I'm personally quite interested in seeing where the money actually goes.

I'm sure you're correct in stating that it doesn't all go to missionaries... the issue is just what 'running the business' entails.

thepianist said:
Daddy was usually in attendance at the annual meetings - he liked to stay involved. Well, one year at the convention, it was brought up that the KJV 1611 was questionable - hey they had always believe it inerrant! Then they began talking about abortion, thinking maybe it should be okay - they have always been definitely against that! Needless to say, my parents got up and walked out of the meeting. He decided that was enough of that nonsense....and really I can't blame him.

I found your statements rather hard to believe, given everything I've ever known about the SBC and it's stances. I did a search on the SBC website, under resolutions, to see if I could find what you mentioned. Here are links to resolutions approved by the convention on the topics of "Bible" and "Abortion".

Bible: http://sbc.net/resolutions/AMResSearchAction.asp?SearchBy=Subject&DisplayRows=10&frmData=bible&Submit=Search

Abortion: http://sbc.net/resolutions/AMResSearchAction.asp?SearchBy=Subject&DisplayRows=10&Submit=Search&frmData=abortion&offset=10

I don't see the concerns you've mentioned here. That doesn't mean that there were not countering voices arguing the stances you mentioned (there are almost always some dissenting voices to the approved resolutions), just that in the resolutions approved by the convention, there does not appear to be record.

thepianist said:
I am one of those 'just a Baptist' kind of people. We don't really fit into a specific group - besides that, Jesus didn't die on a cross for me to argue with someone about what their denomination thinks! The little church that my daddy started before his death 7 years ago is "Baptist".......we believe that the KJV 1611 IS the inspired word of God (not that it contains some of the words of God). We teach that Jesus - plus nothing and minus nothing - is the door to heaven.....when you have once accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour, He never leaves you. Basically, I believe the way the 'old' SBC taught. Amazing how things can change with time!!!

You've hit the nail on the head... Knowing Jesus, and accepting Him as Lord and Savior is all that matters. I wish the various denominations could set aside some of the bickering and disagreements over issues not central to the gospel, and truly experience some of the unity Jesus desired for us (John 17).

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hey they had always believe it inerrant

There is a difference between inspired and inerrant. I attend a baptist chruch and have visited several others who read from several different versions and its not seen as a big deal.

I believe the KJ was the best of its day, but it is the writings of Paul and Moses and others who were inspired and they did not write the King James--it is a translation, subject to no more or less error than any other. JMHO.:wave:

Reactions: paulnoel
Upvote 0

CareBearPrincess

Nov 15, 2005
Luray,VA
✟210.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you everyone, that really helps a lot! My hubby and I are both very conservative, so I think that we are on the right path. We attend a SBC church and we are considering joining in the spring once we've been there a year.

thepianist said:

Yes, I've been saved for about nine years now. Wow! Where did the time go? :eek: Don't get me wrong, I don't think SBC is the only church that's right (and I don't think that about any church) so no flaming please. :pray:

God bless!

Upvote 0

thepianist

Sep 6, 2005
✟5,574.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CareBearPrincess said:
Thank you everyone, that really helps a lot! My hubby and I are both very conservative, so I think that we are on the right path. We attend a SBC church and we are considering joining in the spring once we've been there a year.

Yes, I've been saved for about nine years now. Wow! Where did the time go? :eek: Don't get me wrong, I don't think SBC is the only church that's right (and I don't think that about any church) so no flaming please. :pray:

God bless!

:thumbsup: It thrills my soul to know that you're saved....after all, that is the only thing that counts!!! I hope you didn't think I was jumping on some kind of band wagon or trying to 'bash' any Baptist (of any kind) because I wasn't. You were merely asking about differences between the 'types' of Baptists, so I responded to the best of my ability. I hope I didn't offend anyone - that was not my desire, and if I did.....please know that I am truly sorry. There are so many different 'kinds' of Baptist - frankly, I'm not interested in them. I just know that I believe the Bible, that God said it, Jesus did it, I believe it, and that settles it!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear. God Bless you. :hug:

Upvote 0

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
menno said:
There really is no such thing as a "regular" baptist church. SBC is the largest (I think). I go to American Baptist and there are a bajillion independent baptist churches.

Biggest thing I see between the SBC and the ABC I go to is that the SBC is a more stable, more conservative, and follows the bible more closely.

Oh, and they tend to be more southern;) (pass the grits ma'am)

I tend to agree with your assessment....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CareBearPrincess

Nov 15, 2005
Luray,VA
✟210.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CareBearPrincess said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think SBC is the only church that's right (and I don't think that about any church) so no flaming please. :pray:

I'm sorry! :cry: I didn't mean you, I took it the way you meant it, in a kind way. I just didn't want someone to ask why I think Southern Baptist is the one true church or something.

Again, I apologize!

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am doing this from memory so if I relate something incorrectly it isn't my fault, I'm old. :D

The Sourthern Baptist denomination basically started beacuse of (actualy it may have been just before) the second war for independance(the Civil War for you Yankees ;) ) While they were not Reformed in the strict sense they were Calvinistic in their soteriology. Three men, Boyce, Broadus and Manly started the Sourthern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Ky. It was intended to train young men for the ministry in the SBC. Over the years the SBC have left their foundations and turned to Arminianism as the basic doctrines of the denomination. That certainly isn't to say that there are no Calvinists in the SBC but that it isn't the norm.

I started this from memory but some things have become a little foggy so I am going to stop here and continue after I do a little refreshing of my memory. I beg your patience.

BTW; Perhaps I should make it known that while I am a Baptist I am not SBC.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.