did the leaders and preachers of the reformation believe in a flat earth?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No.

The Reformation started in 1517. Contrary to popular belief, people in the Middle Ages already knew the earth was round. One of the basic textbooks of mediaeval times was the Almagest, that explicitly said this. Most leaders of the Reformation were well educated and would be aware of this, and the first circumnavigation of the world occurred in 1522 when Magellan's fleet limped into Europe. I am unaware of any statement to this effect by any Protestant leader of the Reformation, and seeing that the "flat earth" is a more modern infatuation of certain literalists, I doubt they would have thought it required to repudiate it.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
did the leaders and preachers of the reformation believe in a flat earth?
Yes, because women were more flat chested at the time and also, priests couldn't marry. And so men didn't understand the moon phases or, lunar cycle, at that time, until they were enabled to get married! :0

I am sooo going to hell! :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that the "flat earth" is a more modern infatuation of certain literalists
An invention of those who want to discredit Christianity and the bible.
The last time I looked the flat earth society, believed in evolution, so it is rightly a problem for them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Though Luther's and Calvin's statements about geocentrism are embarrassing, and in later centuries orthodox Lutherans did not follow their lead, outside perhaps of some more fundamentalist LCMS types in the 19th century.

Upvote 0