• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Did the Founding Fathers get anything Wrong?

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,246,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That whole owning people while founding a country on the idea that all men are created equal was pretty bad and we’re still dealing with the effects of that hypocrisy today.
Obviously they had a measure of hypocrisy, but I think someone has to "turn the ship" at some point, and when all ships were moving in that wrong direction, whoever made the move first is obviously going to be a hypocrite on paper.

If there were a group of 10 of us all engaging in various forms of stealing as "the norm", whoever puts pen to paper first and drafts a rulebook that says "no more stealing" is going to be hypocritical to a degree as we were all doing it and unfairly benefiting from it in some fashion. Even if they continued to engage in a certain level of the behavior after the fact.

And if that new legal framework happens to be the thing that allows future generations get it right (or at least curtail the worst excesses of it), I still see that as a net positive.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,246,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Their initial voting issues and then the electoral college "fix" come to mind as something they could of done better.
At the time they did it, I think there was more of a necessity for it, and they were trying to create a "compromise" between selection of the president by congress, and selection of the president by popular vote.

The electoral college isn't a necessary system anymore, but logistically speaking, trying to do a "popular vote" method of any variety at a national level back then would've been tricky to say the least.

So I think it is fair to point out the distinction between "bad idea", and "good idea for the time that would be a bad idea if pitched today"

For instance, if someone pitched "The Pony Express" as shipping and mail delivery solution circa 2024, they'd get laughed out of the room, it'd obviously be a terrible idea compared to the options at our disposal now that we have better technology. But pre-telegraph, it wasn't necessarily a terrible idea for the time period given the limitations of the time.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I've been this way ten years to the day...
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟273,872.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You just want me to shut up about them.
This is a Christian forum. You can expound on your beliefs all day. What I want is for you to stop imposing your beliefs on me.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,776,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is a Christian forum. You can expound on your beliefs all day. What I want is for you to stop imposing your beliefs on me.
Right. Like I says, you want me to shut up. Not gonna happen. :)

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,488,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For example (and I am NOT a historian so please feel free to eviscerate and enlighten me)....I don't understand how a judge appointed by a president would be permitted to try that same president in their court room. How is it that this did not have some kind of stop gap measure?

IMO, the founders presumed the American people would never elect a person who would be criminally indicted.

We have a major political party today that has all but forsaken virture in the public office.

Benjamin Franklin said: “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.” [8]

James Madison stated: “To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without any virtue in the people, is a chimerical [imaginary] idea.”[9]

Thomas Jefferson wrote, “No government can continue good but under the control of the people; and … their minds are to be informed by education what is right and what wrong; to be encouraged in habits of virtue and to be deterred from those of vice … These are the inculcations necessary to render the people a sure basis for the structure and order of government.”[10]

Samuel Adams said: “Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt. He therefore is the truest friend of the liberty of his country who tries most to promote its virtue.”[11]

Patrick Henry stated that: “A vitiated [impure] state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom.”[12]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟213,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟383,571.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
He didn't tell you to shut up. Don't act like you are being persecuted because he disagrees with Christian doctrine because that's aaaall he's doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,776,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Link?

The fact that it's in print doesn't make it true.
I know. The fact that it’s true is why it’s in print, though.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,776,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He didn't tell you to shut up. Don't act like you are being persecuted because he disagrees with Christian doctrine because that's aaaall he's doing.
I never said anything about being persecuted. Never even crossed my mind.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟449,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The fact that the Constitution allows for Amendments means they covered their bases in my opinion.
Except for the grip that political parties have - since the process for amendment now has to go through the parties, essentially. They will never tolerate any amendments that diminish their duopoly.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

I've been this way ten years to the day...
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟273,872.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You appear to have difficulty in understanding the basic sentence structure I'm using. You can post what you like. But don't for one second think that any of it applies to me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,174,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are suppressing the truth.

How are they "suppressing" the truth, specifically? To say that they deny Christ isn't a specific description or analysis about what and how they are doing this, so the statement you've made remains vague. Maybe if you were less vague they'd more likely be able to see the light?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,776,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You appear to have difficulty in understanding the basic sentence structure I'm using. You can post what you like. But don't for one second think that any of it applies to me.
It does apply to you, though.

Upvote 0