✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 6:
21 Then they were glad to take him into the boat, and immediately [G2112] the boat was at the land to which they were going.
Did Jesus instantly teleport the boat miraculously to the destination?

I don't think so. The word appears 87 times.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:
εὐθέως, adverb (from εὐθύς), straightway, immediately, forthwith: … shortly, soon

Ellicott:
The word rendered “immediately”—which is more exactly our straight-way—may find its full meaning in the straight line of the boat’s after-course, as contrasted with its being tossed hither and thither during the storm. The whole context seems to find its full meaning in the sense of difficulty and danger before our Lord was received into the boat, and in the sense of safety and peace afterwards.

The same John used the same word G2112 elsewhere in 3 John 1:
14 I hope to see you soon [G2112-immediately], and we will talk face to face. Peace to you. The friends here send their greetings. Greet the friends there by name.
In this case, it wasn't a miraculous teleporting.

There is another Greek word with a more instantaneous meaning, Luke 8:
44 She came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment, and immediately [G3916] her discharge of blood ceased.
immediately
παραχρῆμα (parachrēma)
Adverb
Strong's 3916: Instantly, immediately, on the spot. From para and chrema; at the thing itself, i.e. Instantly.

This word appears 18 times.

Did Jesus teleport the boat in John 6?

No. The word "immediately" means that they quickly arrived at the destination without any further complications.

Last edited:

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it was used in the literal sense
But the storm could have lifted and they found themselves to be there.
But don’t limit Jesus. He was all powerful to do this among so many other miracles.
Everything doesn’t have to be all cut and dried and figured out, for me. It doesn’t say. We know Jesus could have done anything out of love for his disciples if it would have helped them. Maybe even Peter didn’t know. He didn’t make a big thing about it. That’s part of the mystique of the gospel. The hopeful unknown makes it seem far greater than it is on the surface. Jesus was God, how awesome is that. I am content with not knowing and with imagining what happened that dark stormy night on the Sea of Galilee.

I wish I could make a joke and add some humor if I’m too preachy. We need humor in our lives. My wife and I laugh a lot it is good medicine. Don’t be afraid to accept Jesus as a little child.

Upvote 0