Did Jesus have faith? (Note: I have an answer, but I am curious as to what others have to say).

Did Jesus have faith?

• I don’t know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did Jesus have faith?
Side Note:
Please use Scripture to support your position. Thank you.

Jesus had perfect Faith in the Father and was therefor perfect.
But being a man, he also lived by faith. It was clear that Jesus
has some insights into the future and world events, but there
is no evidence He knew everything and had perfect knowledge.
Perhaps this was His decision.

Jesus’ three prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane
Jesus’ three prayers on the Cross:
  • “Father forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34)
  • “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34)
  • “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46)
Jesus’ prayer of thanks
“I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will” (Matthew 11:25-26 ESV)

Jesus’ prayer before the raising of Lazarus (John 11:41-42)
“Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

Jesus’ prayer after entering Jerusalem
“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:27-28)
10 Prayers of Jesus in the Bible [+Audio]

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,308.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, see Galatians 2:16 (YLT)

having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.
Most English translations conveniently change the Greek wording 'faith of Jesus' to 'faith in Jesus', but the latter is really what the Greek says ... :)

In addition, like @SkyWriter says, Jesus trusted and relied upon GOD the Father. 'Trust' is the deeper meaning of the word 'faith' (Greek: pistos). Believing in something without putting all your weight on it, is 'cheap' faith so to speak.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did Jesus have faith?

No. Faith is from man in or towards God, not from God to man or God to God.

G4102
πίστις
pistis
Thayer Definition:
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
1a) relating to God
1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
1b) relating to Christ
1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
1c) the religious beliefs of Christians
1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
2) fidelity, faithfulness
2a) the character of one who can be relied on
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3982
Citing in TDNT: 6:174, 849

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, see Galatians 2:16 (YLT)

having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.
Most English translations conveniently change the Greek wording 'faith of Jesus' to 'faith in Jesus', but the latter is really what the Greek says ... :)

In addition, like @SkyWriter says, Jesus trusted and relied upon GOD the Father. 'Trust' is the deeper meaning of the word 'faith' (Greek: pistos). Believing in something without putting all your weight on it, is 'cheap' faith so to speak.

I respectively disagree. Galatians 2:16 is merely saying the same thing as Romans 3:3.

“For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?” (Romans 3:3).

In other words, we would not dare read Romans 3:3 as referring to how God the Father has faith like a man does. So what Romans 3:3 is saying is that it is referring to the New Covenant teaching in trusting initially and foundationally in Jesus as one’s Savior and or the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 for salvation. Galatians 2:16 is saying a similar thing.

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” (Galatians 2:16).

For the context that defines “the faith of Jesus Christ” says… even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified. This again is the faith of Christ just like it is the faith of God because both God the Father, and Jesus are the givers of the faith we have today. Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.” (John 14:1). Jesus spoke and did everything the Father commanded of Him. Jesus said He came down from Heaven.

Jesus cannot have faith because He is one with the Father (See: John 10:30). Jesus is a second person of the triune Godhead or Trinity. The Word was merely made flesh.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus had perfect Faith in the Father and was therefor perfect.
But being a man, he also lived by faith. It was clear that Jesus
has some insights into the future and world events, but there
is no evidence He knew everything and had perfect knowledge.
Perhaps this was His decision.

Jesus’ three prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane
Jesus’ three prayers on the Cross:
  • “Father forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34)
  • “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34)
  • “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46)
Jesus’ prayer of thanks
“I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will” (Matthew 11:25-26 ESV)

Jesus’ prayer before the raising of Lazarus (John 11:41-42)
“Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

Jesus’ prayer after entering Jerusalem
“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:27-28)
10 Prayers of Jesus in the Bible [+Audio]

Just because the second person of the Trinity (the Word made flesh) talked with the first person of the Trinity (God the Father) while on Earth does not mean the second person of the Trinity (the Son of God) has faith like a man does. That’s a huge leap of assumption. Jesus (the Word made flesh) prayed simply as a way of example to others. At other times, Jesus spoke openly around others to God the Father so that others might believe that God sent Him, too.

John 11:41-42
41 “…And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.”

But Jesus made it clear that God the Father always hears Him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

G4102
πίστις
pistis
Thayer Definition:
1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man’s relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
1a) relating to God
1a1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
1b) relating to Christ
1b1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
1d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

Well said. I agree.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,308.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

G4102
πίστις
pistis
Thayer Definition:
1a) relating to God
1b) relating to Christ

My point highlights the meaning related to Thayer's point 2) - Trust is faith in action; relying on conviction in real life. (see also https://biblehub.com/greek/4102.htm)

And ... Jesus (also) is a man, so even with your presupposition, Jesus would be able to have faith:

1 Timothy 5:21 (ESV)
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men (Greek: antropon), the man (Greek: antropos) Christ Jesus ..​

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But Jesus made it clear that God the Father always hears Him.

And when we heard Jesus praying,
He spoke as a person who has
full faith in who He was speaking to.
So Yes, Jesus had perfect Faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus have faith?
(Note: I am not asking because I don’t know).

Side Note:

Please use Scripture to support your position. Thank you.

Surprisingly enough, Jesus has no faith.

Faith is the substance of things HOPED for, and the evidence of things NOT SEEN, Hebrews 11:1.

Jesus doesn’t have to hope for anything, He has the omnipotent power of Almighty God to get, and do, anything He wants.

And there’s nothing unseen for Him, He has omniscience and omnipresence.

We need faith. Jesus does not.

And BTW the KJV erroneously translated faith IN Christ as faith OF Christ, in at least one passage, but we are saved by faith IN Christ, not by faith OF Christ.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith is the substance of things HOPED for, and the evidence of things NOT SEEN, Hebrews 11:1.
Jesus doesn’t have to hope for anything, He has the omnipotent power of Almighty God to get, and do, anything He wants.And there’s nothing unseen for Him, He has omniscience and omnipresence.

We have no evidence that Jesus could see everything or into the future.
Though He did have many insights and faith in the future. Analysts
have proposed that his limited sight was voluntary. Why he attended
school and such.

Still he demonstrated a life of full faith, which He portrayed in honesty.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus doesn’t have to hope for anything, He has the omnipotent power of Almighty God to get, and do, anything He wants.

But the question was "DID Jesus have faith?"
He was God incarnate, but he was also fully human. Did he, as a human being, have, or need, faith?

I'd say "yes".
In the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross he surely had faith that his Father's will was good - even as the soldiers smashed nails into his hands, and his Father left him as he felt the full weight of our sin.

But the OP has already said that he knows the - or his - answer, so I don't know the reason for the question.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But the question was "DID Jesus have faith?"He was God incarnate, but he was also fully human. Did he, as a human being, have, or need, faith?I'd say "yes".In the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross he surely had faith that his Father's will was good - even as the soldiers smashed nails into his hands, and his Father left him as he felt the full weight of our sin.But the OP has already said that he knows the - or his - answer, so I don't know the reason for the question.

Everyone knows the answers to their own questions. If they seek to change those answers all depends on what they wish to consider from others.

I have my own pet claims and they hold up unless somebody provides good evidence that my arguments are faulty. If the evidence remains weak then I hold my ground. I've changed my stand on about half of my main issues over time.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone knows the answers to their own questions. If they seek to change those answers all depends on what they wish to consider from others.

So there's nothing really to debate then.
The addition of the words "note, I'm not asking because I don't know", suggests either an "I'm posting in case you don't know the truth, so I can teach you", or "I'm curious to know what you think, but it won't change my views and I'll tell you if you're wrong" attitude.

Why ask a question?
Why not write "this is something that has struck me/spoken to me; Jesus didn't need to have faith, because ..... I'd be interested to know what you think about this"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So there's nothing really to debate then.
The addition of the words "note, I'm not asking because I don't know", suggests either an "I'm posting in case you don't know the truth, so I can teach you", or "I'm curious to know what you think, but it won't change my views and I'll tell you if you're wrong" attitude.

Why ask a question?
Why not write "this is something that has struck me/spoken to me; Jesus didn't need to have faith, because ..... I'd be interested to know what you think about this"?

It would be wonderful if we could control what others do. So wonderful.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us, only sky
Imagine all the people
Livin' for today
Ah
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,308.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And there’s nothing unseen for Him, He has omniscience and omnipresence.

We need faith. Jesus does not.

And BTW the KJV erroneously translated faith IN Christ as faith OF Christ, in at least one passage, but we are saved by faith IN Christ, not by faith OF Christ.

- at least in Galatians 2:16 the Greek really has 'faith of Jesus Christ' (check for yourself when in doubt), so we also should translate it that way - and leave whatever that means to the reader for interpretation; not mis-translate to 'correct' the text for better understanding
- in Hebrews 11:1 the Greek word 'hypostatis' (rendered 'substance' in your quote) can be better translated 'security' (e.g. there is archeological evidence of the word having the meaning of 'title deed')

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,308.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I respectively disagree. Galatians 2:16 is merely saying the same thing as Romans 3:3.

“For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?” (Romans 3:3).

In other words, we would not dare read Romans 3:3 as referring to how God the Father has faith like a man does. ...

If Romans 3:3 is translated differently it makes more sense; at least the 'of' construct is kept intact:

"For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?"

This fits the logical flow of the sentence perfectly and matches fully with the range of meanings the word 'pistis' has. I know of at least the YLT and CLV translations that follow this pattern. When doing so the similarity with Galatians 2:16 falls away.

Jesus cannot have faith because He is one with the Father (See: John 10:30). Jesus is a second person of the triune Godhead or Trinity. The Word was merely made flesh.

Jesus certainly said he is one with the Father, yet we also have many Biblical statements emphasising He is quite distinct from the GOD the Father (GOD the Father being the God Jesus, Jesus being seated at the right hand of GOD, GOD being the head of Christ, etc.); so the one-ness statement in itself does not seem convincing enough to argue that Jesus could not have faith/trust/loyalty towards GOD the Father.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think this is an argument of symentics. Our doctrines put Christ in a unique position of being fully God and fully man and where saying that is easy it's a logical mess. Your argument is weighted on the fully God part while sacrificing the fully man part. I would argue the human condition requires various levels of faith and for Christ to be human he must experience having faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Did Jesus have faith?
Hebrews 12:
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Our author/captain/prince perfected faith in the flesh by obedience and suffering.
Hebrews 2:
For it was fitting for Him, for whom all things and by whom all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
1 For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason
He is not ashamed to call them brethren
The Prince of life is the Prince of faith
Acts 3:
But you denied the Holy One and the Just, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you,
15 and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses.
16 And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know.
Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence
of you all.

Christ Jesus, as the author/captain/prince of our faith imparts unto the members of His body
the measure of faith. Our faith is not our own, it is the perfected faith of Christ.

Romans 12:
For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think
more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one
a measure of faith.
4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the
same function,
5 so we as many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.
6 Having then gifts that differ according to the grace that is given to us: if prophesying,
in proportion to our faith….

We receive our measure of faith from the Prince of immeasurable faith.
John 3:34 For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give
the Spirit by measure.
And faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

The righteousness of God is found in the faith of Jesus Christ
Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by the faith of Jesus Christ
unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference.

The faith of Jesus Christ imparts the divine nature into the believer.
2 Peter 1:4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises,
that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption
in the world through lust.

The faith of men undermines the faith of Christ through doubt, therefore,
our faith is not our own,
but a gift of grace from the author of faith.
Matthew 21:
So Jesus answered and said to them, Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done.
22 And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.

The doubts of man originate from the sinful nature, which is overcome
by the faith of Christ Jesus.

Romans 14:23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat
from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

Only the faith of Jesus Christ, which He perfected in the flesh through suffering,
can overcome the sinful nature of the one who abides in the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:
For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God by sending
His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according
to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Upvote 0