Did Jesus give us an Eleventh Commandment?

How do you see Jesus' new commandment?

• An additional commandment brings the total commandments to eleven in the new covenant.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A replacement of the ten previous commandments where we no longer have to keep the Sabbath.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the Gentiles turning to God would have obeyed the writings of Moses independently from the tradition of Judaism. Moses was not forced on them through Judaism, they were to follow Moses on their own as they listened to Moses read every Sabbath.

When they had finished, James stood and said, “Brothers, listen to me. Peter has told you about the time God first visited the Gentiles to take from them a people for himself. And this conversion of Gentiles is exactly what the prophets predicted. As it is written: ‘Afterward I will return and restore the fallen house of David. I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, so that the rest of humanity might seek the LORD, including the Gentiles—all those I have called to be mine. The LORD has spoken—he who made these things known so long ago.’ “And so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead, we should write and tell them to abstain from eating food offered to idols, from sexual immorality, from eating the meat of strangled animals, and from consuming blood. For these laws of Moses has been preached in Jewish synagogues in every city on every Sabbath for many generations.” (Acts 15:13-21 NLT fixed)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge
Brother, may the Lord bless you and keep you every day!

So... the gentiles who are turning to God are to obey the writings of Moses, but without the tradition of Judaism. And then, why does James go on to list four laws?

United in discussing the scriptures in an edifying way!

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brother, may the Lord bless you and keep you every day! So... the gentiles who are turning to God are to obey the writings of Moses, but without the tradition of Judaism. And then, why does James go on to list four laws? United in discussing the scriptures in an edifying way!
Brother, James was sure that these requirements were not colored by human tradition in Judaism. They served as a model for further adoption by hearing Moses read every Sabbath.

When they had finished, James stood and said, “Brothers, listen to me. Peter has told you about the time God first visited the Gentiles to take from them a people for himself. And this conversion of Gentiles is exactly what the prophets predicted. As it is written: ‘Afterward I will return and restore the fallen house of David. I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, so that the rest of humanity might seek the LORD, including the Gentiles—all those I have called to be mine. The LORD has spoken—he who made these things known so long ago.’ “And so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead, we should write and tell them to abstain from eating food offered to idols, from sexual immorality, from eating the meat of strangled animals, and from consuming blood. For these laws of Moses has been preached in Jewish synagogues in every city on every Sabbath for many generations.” (Acts 15:13-21 NLT fixed)​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, James was sure that these requirements were not colored by human tradition in Judaism. They served as a model for further adoption by hearing Moses read every Sabbath.

Wait... Weren't the gentiles always free from the tradition of Judaism?

United in discussing the scriptures in an edifying way!

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brother, may the Lord bless you and keep you every day! Wait... Weren't the gentiles always free from the tradition of Judaism? United in discussing the scriptures in an edifying way!
Brother, James was too close to Judaism to add more without possibly imposing Judaism's human traditions on Gentiles who were turning to God. James let them adapt Moses without coloring Moses with the influence of the human traditions of Judaism to protect the Gentiles who were turning to God from what God was against in the following passage.

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother, without Jesus' many forgivenesses allowing growth through practice, we could not escape our "slavery to sin"! We are led by the Holy Spirit through the guaranteed word of God through the prophets. We should not follow a spirit that twists Paul's message to excuse continual sin against God's law. We grow through the practice, which Paul calls "slavery", when we "choose to obey" God in order to "become slaves to righteous living", thanks to Jesus' many forgivenesses making us "pure, just as he is pure".

I never said that we don't have to make a choice to obey, or that we don't back everything up with scripture (which is how we "test the spirits") that aside, when it's the Holy Spirits leading, there is usually no doubt.

John 10:27

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit

15 “If you love me, obey[d] my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[e] who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.[f] 18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”

The only commandments Jesus says to obey are the 10 commandments, with the over-arching meaning of those commandments to be: Love God, and love others as yourself.

What do you think Jesus meant when he said he didn't come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it?
He lived a sinless life by showing us how to love in action.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, James was too close to Judaism to add more without possibly imposing Judaism's human traditions on Gentiles who were turning to God. James let them adapt Moses without coloring Moses with the influence of the human traditions of Judaism to protect the Gentiles who were turning to God from what God was against in the following passage.

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​

What do you mean "add more"? Doesn't the entire church keep the same set of commandments?

1 Corinthians 12
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit.

United in one spirit, one Church!

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
What do you think Jesus meant when he said he didn't come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it?
Brother, it means Jesus came to separate sin from our flesh. Circumcision is now done by Jesus and is no longer done by humans.

When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcisionthe cutting away of your sinful nature. For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. (Colossians 2:11-12 NLT)​

The purpose of the law is to show our sin and remove it when obeyed. His forgivenesses as our High Priest through His death makes it possible to grow through a practice that Paul calls "slavery" in obedience to His law. Freedom from our "slavery to sin" already began when we first believed that Jesus' daily forgiveness removes our past sins as many times as we need to grow in obedience to Jesus' Eleven Commandments in the following passage.

Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.’” The man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Luke 18:18-22 NLT)​

We grow in obedience to Jesus' Eleven Commandments above through practice that Paul calls "slavery", thanks to our High Priest Jesus' daily forgiveness cycle. Like a child who learns to walk by getting up again and again until he no longer falls.

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living. Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living. (Romans 6:15-18 NLT)​

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brother, may the Lord bless you and keep you every day! What do you mean "add more"? Doesn't the entire church keep the same set of commandments? 1 Corinthians 12 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit. United in one spirit, one Church!
Brother, we Gentiles who are turning to God, are still turning and the turn is not complete because we have a lot of Moses still to adopt free of human traditions, like the Sabbath.

See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him. Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is. And all who have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as he is pure. Everyone who sins is breaking God’s law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God. And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, and there is no sin in him. Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is. (1 John 3:1-6 NLT)​

Moses is to be obeyed! Paul did not want the new Gentiles who were turning to God to join Judaism through circumcision because Jesus was against how Judaism colored Moses with their human traditions.

James is allowing God to "restore the fallen house of David", as the Gentiles who are turning to God listen to Moses every Sabbath independent of the influence of human traditions in Judaism. His allowing the separate growth of Gentiles who are turning to God as God "restores the house of David". At some point in the future, there will be a merging of the Gentiles who are turning to God and Judaism, allowing the continuation after Jesus of Judaism freed from human tradition. We Gentiles who are turning to God have a lot to adapt from Moses to fully "restore the fallen house of David".

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, we Gentiles who are turning to God, are still turning and the turn is not complete because we have a lot of Moses still to adopt free of human traditions, like the Sabbath.

See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him. Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is. And all who have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as he is pure. Everyone who sins is breaking God’s law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God. And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, and there is no sin in him. Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is. (1 John 3:1-6 NLT)​

Moses is to be obeyed! Paul did not want the new Gentiles who were turning to God to join Judaism through circumcision because Jesus was against how Judaism colored Moses with their human traditions.

James is allowing God to "restore the fallen house of David", as the Gentiles who are turning to God listen to Moses every Sabbath independent of the influence of human traditions in Judaism. His allowing the separate growth of Gentiles who are turning to God as God "restores the house of David". At some point in the future, there will be a merging of the Gentiles who are turning to God and Judaism, allowing the continuation after Jesus of Judaism freed from human tradition. We Gentiles who are turning to God have a lot to adapt from Moses to fully "restore the fallen house of David".

Brother, may the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you every day!

Well... this part makes it sound like there is one set of laws that Jewish believers are to keep and one set of laws that gentile believers are to keep. Don't gentile believers have to keep a law from Moses as soon as they learn of it?

Also, are you using human tradition to mean something different from the tradition of Judaism?

United in one spirit, one Church!

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother, it means Jesus came to separate sin from our flesh. Circumcision is now done by Jesus and is no longer done by humans.

When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcisionthe cutting away of your sinful nature. For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. (Colossians 2:11-12 NLT)​

The purpose of the law is to show our sin and remove it when obeyed. His forgivenesses as our High Priest through His death makes it possible to grow through a practice that Paul calls "slavery" in obedience to His law. Freedom from our "slavery to sin" already began when we first believed that Jesus' daily forgiveness removes our past sins as many times as we need to grow in obedience to Jesus' Eleven Commandments in the following passage.

Once a religious leader asked Jesus this question: “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.’” The man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Luke 18:18-22 NLT)​

We grow in obedience to Jesus' Eleven Commandments above through practice that Paul calls "slavery", thanks to our High Priest Jesus' daily forgiveness cycle. Like a child who learns to walk by getting up again and again until he no longer falls.

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living. Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living. (Romans 6:15-18 NLT)​

Even though I understand what you're saying, Jesus never said "I command you to follow me" he extends an invitation. It is entirely up to us to make that choice.
However, he did say "if you love me, you will keep my commandments"

John 14

15 “If you love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[e] who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth.

So again this points to it being a choice.

I do also believe that once we have received the Holy Spirit, the process of "circumcision" has begun. But this is still our choice to accept the leading of the Holy Spirit or to resist the process. Does that mean I believe God doesn't finish what he starts? No. I believe he will finish the process of conforming us to become like Christ, but by quenching the Holy Spirit, we may not end up participating in the FULLNESS of his plan for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brother, may the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you every day! Well... this part makes it sound like there is one set of laws that Jewish believers are to keep and one set of laws that gentile believers are to keep. Don't gentile believers have to keep a law from Moses as soon as they learn of it?
No, GOD is to be obeyed.
Brothers, there is no difference in what must be obeyed. The Gentiles turned to God and the early Jewish Christians had to obey God's instructions from the beginning. The problem is that Judaism has added to its Godly traditions its own human traditions that Paul does not want the Gentiles who are turning to God to keep as if they came from God.

Also, are you using human tradition to mean something different from the tradition of Judaism? United in one spirit, one Church!
The traditions of Judaism are a mixture of Godly traditions and human traditions. For example, the tradition embedded in Judaism around the globe that the day is from morning to morning is a godly tradition.

idl-png.323948

On the other hand, the thinking by Judaism that a day is from evening to evening because of the Sabbath in Jerusalem is a human tradition contrary to God's embedded Godly tradition of a day with Manna for 40 years, being from morning to morning and not from evening to evening. In the special case of the first day from first light to light again in the morning, with subsequent days being from morning to morning.

Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was LIGHT. And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day” and the darkness “night.” And evening passed and MORNING came, marking the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NLT)​

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brothers, there is no difference in what must be obeyed. The Gentiles turned to God and the early Jewish Christians had to obey God's instructions from the beginning. The problem is that Judaism has added to its Godly traditions its own human traditions that Paul does not want the Gentiles who are turning to God to keep as if they came from God.

The traditions of Judaism are a mixture of Godly traditions and human traditions. For example, the tradition embedded in Judaism around the globe that the day is from morning to morning is a godly tradition.

idl-png.323948

On the other hand, the thinking by Judaism that a day is from evening to evening because of the Sabbath in Jerusalem is a human tradition contrary to God's embedded Godly tradition of a day with Manna for 40 years, being from morning to morning and not from evening to evening. In the special case of the first day from first light to light again in the morning, with subsequent days being from morning to morning.

Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was LIGHT. And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day” and the darkness “night.” And evening passed and MORNING came, marking the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NLT)​

Now you are veering off track from your OP.

Your question was "Did Jesus give us an eleventh commandment?"

The answer is no.

And to say he did is adding to scripture. The scripture says:

Deuteronomy 4

2 Do not add to or subtract from these commands I am giving you. Just obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you.

Exodus 20:1-17

Ten Commandments for the Covenant Community

20 Then God gave the people all these instructions[a]:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery.

3 “You must not have any other god but me.

4 “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. 5 You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me. 6 But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.

7 “You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.

8 “Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 You have six days each week for your ordinary work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; but on the seventh day he rested. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.

12 “Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You must not murder.

14 “You must not commit adultery.

15 “You must not steal.

16 “You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.

17 “You must not covet your neighbor’s house. You must not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.”

And in the Gospel, Jesus said:

Mark 12

The Most Important Commandment

28 One of the teachers of religious law was standing there listening to the debate. He realized that Jesus had answered well, so he asked, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’[g] 31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[h] No other commandment is greater than these.”

Matthew 5

Teaching about the Law

17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. 19 So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

20 “But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

This is why I said earlier there is only one "command" Jesus gave, and it was the encompassing of the 10 commandments.
He lived a sinless life, and that is how he "accomplished their purpose" as the above passage says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just thought I would add this disclaimer again, the teaching of the OP is not a teaching of the Seventh Day Adventist church, this is unique to this poster. God said pretty clearly there are Ten Commandments Exodus 34:28, God wrote with His own finger Ten Commandments Exodus 31:18 and we are told not to add or subtract from God‘s commandments.

The teaching on the Sabbath by the OP is not an SDA teaching either.

This is what the SDA church teaches and believes on the Sabbath commandment based on scripture.

The gracious Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God’s kingdom. The Sabbath is God’s perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God’s creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Exod. 20:8-11; 31:13-17; Lev. 23:32; Deut. 5:12-15; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Ezek. 20:12, 20; Matt. 12:1-12; Mark 1:32; Luke 4:16; Heb. 4:1-11.)

I think we need to be careful on what we teach each other especially when it comes to God’s commandments. Matthew 5:19. We are accountable for everything we say and do. There is no mention anywhere in scripture that we must keep the Sabbath according to the time zone of Eden, this is not something found in scripture and is leading people to breaking one of God’s commandments. There is no scripture stating there is an eleventh commandment. We are warned not to add to God’s Word for good reason. Proverbs 30:5-6

Last edited:
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
God said pretty clearly there are Ten Commandments Exodus 34:28, God wrote with His own finger Ten Commandments Exodus 31:18 and we are told not to add or subtract from God‘s commandments.
Sister, Jesus can add a "new commandment" not possible before Jesus as He tells us He did!

As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, “The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory, and God will be glorified because of him. And since God receives glory because of the Son, he will give his own glory to the Son, and he will do so at once. Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can’t come where I am going. So now I am giving you a new commandment (entolé): Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” (John 13:31-35 NLT)​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sister, Jesus can add a "new commandment" not possible before Jesus as He tells us He did!

As soon as Judas left the room, Jesus said, “The time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory, and God will be glorified because of him. And since God receives glory because of the Son, he will give his own glory to the Son, and he will do so at once. Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can’t come where I am going. So now I am giving you a new commandment (entolé): Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” (John 13:31-35 NLT)​

Your quote of scripture is the fulfillment of the law. It's not a "new" commandment, it's the result you should get when you follow the 10 commandments: which is love.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". (Something else Jesus said).

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

There are over a 1000 new commands in the New Testament, new commandments does not delete previous ones, nor does it change the Ten Commandments that God alone wrote with His own finger, only the Ten Commandments are inside the ark of the covenant in the Most Holy of God’s Temple where God dwells and is revealed in heaven. Revelation 11:19. Most of the new commandments are not really new, like love God or love your neighbor, that is all from the OT.

• Agree
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
There is no mention anywhere in scripture that we must keep the Sabbath according to the time zone of Eden, this is not something found in scripture and is leading people to breaking one of God’s commandments.
Sister, have you considered the evidence embedded in the tradition of Judaism without Judaism understanding it, confirming what we find in Genesis? The tradition embedded in Judaism around the globe is that the day is from morning to morning. It did not come from their misunderstanding of the Sabbath as a day of the week when the Sabbath in Jerusalem starts half a day before the seventh day of the week.

idl-png.323948

The thinking by Judaism that a day is from evening to evening because of the Sabbath in Jerusalem is a human tradition contrary to God's embedded Godly tradition of a day with Manna for 40 years, being from morning to morning and not from evening to evening. In the special case of the first day from first light to light again in the morning, with subsequent days being from morning to morning.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just thought I would add this disclaimer again, the teaching of the OP is not a teaching of the Seventh Day Adventist church, this is unique to this poster. God said pretty clearly there are Ten Commandments Exodus 34:28, God wrote with His own finger Ten Commandments Exodus 31:18 and we are told not to add or subtract from God‘s commandments.

The teaching on the Sabbath by the OP is not an SDA teaching either.

This is what the SDA church teaches and believes on the Sabbath commandment based on scripture.

The gracious Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God’s kingdom. The Sabbath is God’s perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God’s creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Exod. 20:8-11; 31:13-17; Lev. 23:32; Deut. 5:12-15; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Ezek. 20:12, 20; Matt. 12:1-12; Mark 1:32; Luke 4:16; Heb. 4:1-11.)

I think we need to be careful on what we teach each other especially when it comes to God’s commandments. Matthew 5:19. We are accountable for everything we say and do. There is no mention anywhere in scripture that we must keep the Sabbath according to the time zone of Eden, this is not something found in scripture and is leading people to breaking one of God’s commandments. There is no scripture stating there is an eleventh commandment. We are warned not to add to God’s Word for good reason. Proverbs 30:5-6
Say, SB, SDA teachings aside, can you show from the scriptures how to deal with a spherical Earth and a continuous, never-ending sunset?

Numbers 34
The two tribes and the half-tribe have received their inheritance beyond the Jordan at Jericho eastward, toward the sunrise.

Peace be with you :heart:

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Say, SB, SDA teachings aside, can you show from the scriptures how to deal with a spherical Earth and a continuous, never-ending sunset?

Numbers 34
The two tribes and the half-tribe have received their inheritance beyond the Jordan at Jericho eastward, toward the sunrise.

Peace be with you :heart:

Perhaps you can show me exactly where Eden is located from scripture and show me where it says we need to keep the Sabbath on the time zone of Eden. This is a distraction leading people away from God's Word.

God did not make the Sabbath for the earth; He made it for mankind. Mark 2:27 and regardless of where one is located if they can find the first day of the week, they can find the seventh day, God's holy Sabbath day. Exodus 8-11, Isaiah 58:13

This has already been discussed at length and it's just a distraction from obeying one of God's commandments. Not something I am interested in continuing to debate.

Take care and God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0