Did Jesus give us an Eleventh Commandment?

How do you see Jesus' new commandment?

• An additional commandment brings the total commandments to eleven in the new covenant.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A replacement of the ten previous commandments where we no longer have to keep the Sabbath.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother, happy Sabbath! You are not listening to Paul's message! Relying on bad translations that add to the word of God what is not in the original! Paul is not against God's law as assumed by those who misrepresent Paul's message. Paul is against the "human effort" in Judaism to sabotage the law of God to not remove sin, sin that the law of God is meant to remove.
You have no scriptural evidence for this - the fact that you systematically rewrite scripture to suit your purposes shows this. Paul repeatedly declares the end of the law and and the fact you are inventing a different story and misrepresenting the word of God to others does not change this.

I consider my moral responsibility to ensure that other readers do not fall for your edits to the word of God. Look, reader, at what guevraj has done to the following text from Romans 6:
Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law (of Judaism), does that mean we can go on sinning (lawlessness)? Of course not (don't misunderstand God's grace)! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey (sin or God)? You can be a slave to sin (lawlessness), which leads to death (like Judaism's example of sabotaging God's Ten Commandments to not remove sin), or you can choose to obey God (Eleven Commandments), which leads to righteous living (freedom from sin). Thank God (Jesus's many forgivenesses as our High Priest allowing us to grow in obedience through practice of the Eleven Commandments)! Once you were slaves of sin (lawlessness), but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you (Eleven Commandments). Now you are free from your slavery to sin (when you obey God's Eleven Commandments), and you have become slaves to righteous living (obeying the Eleven Commandments). (Romans 6:15-18 NLT)
You are clearly rewriting scripture by adding your own words that

Again, let me point out what you are doing.

Scripture says this:

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!

You change it - you alter divinely inspired words - in order to make it say this:

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law (of Judaism), does that mean we can go on sinning (lawlessness)? Of course not

You are intentionally altering the Bible to suit your view. I do not believe I have ever seen another poster do this here. You add the words "of Judaism" to misrepresent what Paul actually says, that we are free from the "the law". Now then, I think it is clear from context that Paul is actually referring to the Law of Moses, but I would never in my wildest dreams deign to do what you are doing - altering the text itself! You apparently think it is Ok to pass off your own words as Scripture. You are trying to dupe readers into believing that Paul is criticizing man-made additions to the Law of Moses. Well, make an actual case then, do not change the words of holy writ!

And here you simply add the phrase "11 Commandments":

You can be a slave to sin (lawlessness), which leads to death (like Judaism's example of sabotaging God's Ten Commandments to not remove sin), or you can choose to obey God (Eleven Commandments - Your addition, not there in scripture),

And, yet again, you alter the text here to suit your position:

Now you are free from your slavery to sin (when you obey God's Eleven Commandments), and you have become slaves to righteous living (obeying the Eleven Commandments

The actual text nowhere mentions 11 commandment, or even one commandment for that matter.

Please stop rewriting scripture.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother, Paul is deep and most of what he says is a summary of what is expanded elsewhere as he tells us in the following passage. You need to read more than misunderstood selected pieces to understand his message. Most of what Paul says is not for "infants in Christ". He addresses "spiritual people" in ways that are difficult for "infants in Christ" to understand.
Is this your justification for trying to pass off your edited version of scripture to readers?

Am I an "infant in Christ" simply because, unlike you, I do not edit the word of God
Paul assumes the listener knows what is written elsewhere and uses summary words like "the law" where the word has already been expanded elsewhere. Here is evidence that when he uses the word law, unqualified, he is referring to the law of Judaism Jesus has freed us from as accepted in the Jerusalem council expressed by James. The Jerusalem council did not abandon Moses and everything that came before Moses when it provided a seed list to add to, allowing the adoption of Moses and everything before Moses by the gentiles who were turning to God free of the added human traditions of Judaism that Jesus was against in the following passage.

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​
How is this relevant. The fact that the Pharisees distorted the Law, and that Jesus was opposed to this, does not mean the Law continues! This is simple logic - it is perfectly coherent for Jesus to both repudiate the Pharisees for their distortions to the Law and declare the imminent end of the Law of Moses.

What does Paul mean here:

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the [h]Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Please be sure that whatever reply you offer, it actually explains these very words from Paul. Feel free, of course, to talk about context as much as you like. But unless you can provide an explanation of these words of Paul you will have failed to answer my question properly.

I take Paul at his word - we no longer conduct ourselves in accordance with the Law of Moses. What do you think he is saying here?

James was not limiting what we need to obey, he was giving us permission to adopt Moses without forcing the human traditions of Judaism on us Gentiles,
I see nothing at all in your text from Acts that refers to "forcing human traditions". So where is this reference to human traditions. Here is the text again:

When they had finished, James stood and said, “Brothers, listen to me. Peter has told you about the time God first visited the Gentiles to take from them a people for himself. And this conversion of Gentiles is exactly what the prophets predicted. As it is written: ‘Afterward I will return and restore the fallen house of David. I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, so that the rest of humanity might seek the LORD, including the Gentiles—all those I have called to be mine. The LORD has spoken—he who made these things known so long ago.’ “And so my judgment is that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead, we should write and tell them to abstain from eating food offered to idols, from sexual immorality, from eating the meat of strangled animals, and from consuming blood. For these laws of Moses has been preached in Jewish synagogues in every city on every Sabbath for many generations.” (Acts 15:13-21 NLT fixed)

Now then, where is there is anything here about human traditions?
as we turn to God by giving us a seed, a beginning to add to. James saw us as the fulfillment of the prophecy where God would "restore the fallen house of David" as we listened to Moses every Sabbath.
The text does not say this! It does say that James saw us as the fulfillment of a prophecy for the inclusion of all humanity in God's people. But there is nothing in this text that forces us to conclude that anyone will be listening to Moses being preached on Sabbaths going forward. James does indeed say that Moses has been preached, but this does not necessitate that he will be preached going forward.
What that means is the equivalent of continuing Judaism without human traditions.
Again, there is zero reference to human traditions - you are adding this idea in on your own.

Upvote 0