LDS Did God get the name of the church wrong?

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Joseph Smith first named the church "The Church of Christ" then later renamed it "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

So why the name change?

Did the prophet get it wrong?

Did God make a mistake?

If this is the one true church then how could it start out with the wrong name?

Seems pretty suspect to me.

Last edited:

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Joseph Smith first named the church "The Church of Christ" then later renamed it "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

So why the name change?

Did God make a mistake?

God changed his mind. God can do that you know.

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God changed his mind. God can do that you know.

It's curious though. Sometimes I've heard Mormons say that the church should be called after the person whose church it is, i.e. it should be the Church of Christ or Church of Jesus Christ. I guess this apologetic was not relevant during the time when it was called the Church of the Latter Day Saints?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's curious though. Sometimes I've heard Mormons say that the church should be called after the person whose church it is, i.e. it should be the Church of Christ or Church of Jesus Christ. I guess this apologetic was not relevant during the time when it was called the Church of the Latter Day Saints?
Before the church got its official name there were so many things that had to be done such as understanding the organization of it and how everything works. It wasn't named after Joseph Smith was it?

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

So why the name change?

Did God make a mistake?

The Lord said, “Knock and it shall be opened unto you” (3 Nephi 14:7; Matthew 7:7). In other words, it requires effort on our part.

Wise decisions are usually arrived at following work, struggle, and prayerful effort. The Lord’s response to Oliver Cowdery’s ineffective effort makes this clear: “But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.” (D&C 9:8.)

Let us begin, therefore, by saying that earnestly seeking our Father in heaven, having faith that he will answer our prayers, is a comforting base on which to begin. … The Lord will not take water from a dry well, so we must do our part. Sometimes attempting to find a correct decision takes great amounts of energy, study, and long-suffering.

In decisions of crucial importance, fasting combined with prayer can bring great spiritual insight.

We are agents unto ourselves, and the Lord expects us to do good things of our own free will.

In 1831 the Lord said this to his Church:

“For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

“Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

“For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

“But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.” (D&C 58:26–29.)

http://bookofmormonspeaks.blogspot.com/2015/09/not-commanded-in-all-things-by-ezra.html?m=1

The Lord operates on His timeline not ours. :)

Upvote 0

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Before the church got its official name there were so many things that had to be done such as understanding the organization of it and how everything works. It wasn't named after Joseph Smith was it?

Whether or not it was named after Joseph Smith is irrelevant to the point, of course.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord said, “Knock and it shall be opened unto you” (3 Nephi 14:7; Matthew 7:7). In other words, it requires effort on our part.

Wise decisions are usually arrived at following work, struggle, and prayerful effort. The Lord’s response to Oliver Cowdery’s ineffective effort makes this clear: “But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.” (D&C 9:8.)

Let us begin, therefore, by saying that earnestly seeking our Father in heaven, having faith that he will answer our prayers, is a comforting base on which to begin. … The Lord will not take water from a dry well, so we must do our part. Sometimes attempting to find a correct decision takes great amounts of energy, study, and long-suffering.

In decisions of crucial importance, fasting combined with prayer can bring great spiritual insight.

We are agents unto ourselves, and the Lord expects us to do good things of our own free will.

In 1831 the Lord said this to his Church:

“For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

“Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

“For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

“But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.” (D&C 58:26–29.)

http://bookofmormonspeaks.blogspot.com/2015/09/not-commanded-in-all-things-by-ezra.html?m=1

The Lord operates on His timeline not ours. :)

Your post does not answer the question.

Why did Smith get the name wrong when he first named the church?

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The only place I've seen it so named was on Lackland AFB, I'm sure dictated by the Uninspired Credal powers that be, where have you seen it so named?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NYCGuy

Mar 9, 2011
New York
✟33,519.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

The article you cite presents a clear explanation. Looking into it further I came across this.

Peter prophesied: “And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution [restoration] of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began” (Acts 3:20-21).

Paul prophesied: “That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him” (Ephesians 1:10).

http://www.gospelideals.org/mormon-...hrist-and-why-did-it-need-to-be-reestablished

I never realized before that dispensations are mentioned in the bible and am curios what the various denominations think concerning dispensations?

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So why the name change?

Did God make a mistake?

Why is the change? Why is the change? Hmmm,...Let me think.
Did the prophet get wrong when He said that this was the Church of Christ? No. He did NOT.
God saw that the prophet was correct. God said: "it is good".
Later the prophet got a better idea: This is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
God saw that the prophet was still correct. God said: it is good; no, it is even better.
God said to the prophet: good job, my servant Joseph, good job. great progress. you are getting wiser and wiser.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is the change? Why is the change? Hmmm,...Let me think.
Did the prophet get wrong when He said that this was the Church of Christ? No. He did NOT.
God saw that the prophet was correct. God said: "it is good".
Later the prophet got a better idea: This is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
God saw that the prophet was still correct. God said: it is good; no, it is even better.
God said to the prophet: good job, my servant Joseph, good job. great progress. you are getting wiser and wiser.

I see. So you are saying that the Prophet became wiser and came up with a better name latter.

But that still doesn't make sense. If Joseph was truly a Prophet and your church the "true church" why didn't you get the name right in the first place?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see. So you are saying that the Prophet became wiser and came up with a better name latter.

But that still doesn't make sense. If Joseph was truly a Prophet and your church the "true church" why didn't you get the name right in the first place?
I will gladly answer this question.
Sometimes God just reveals things. It is when He knows we are not wise or knowledgeable enough to figure them on our own. But sometimes God wants us to find solutions to problems or just to have an opportunity to be creative. When we do it right God says: "good job", and then He blesses and sanctifies fruits of our labor.
God wants us to LEARN by working hard and by CONSTANTLY asking Him questions: "is this right, Father? is this how you want me to do certain things?"
Oh, He loves when we do this. He loves when we show Him our interest in Him and in things that are important to God's Kingdom.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will gladly answer this question.
Sometimes God just reveals things. It is when He knows we are not wise or knowledgeable enough to figure them on our own. But sometimes God wants us to find solutions to problems or just to have an opportunity to be creative. When we do it right God says: "good job", and then He blesses and sanctifies fruits of our labor.
God wants us to LEARN by working hard and by CONSTANTLY asking Him questions: "is this right, Father? is this how you want me to do certain things?"
Oh, He loves when we do this. He loves when we show Him our interest in Him and in things that are important to God's Kingdom.

That still doesn't answer the question.

Why didn't the "true church" start out with the right name?

God is not a God of confusion.

So who was confused God or Joseph Smith?

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That still doesn't answer the question.

Why didn't the "true church" start out with the right name?

God is not a God of confusion.

So who was confused God or Joseph Smith?
I'm not confused. The reason for the change would make little sense to you. You would disagree and not listen to why it was so. Why would I waste my time telling you why when you won't believe it any way. Have you ever believed anything Mormons say.

Upvote 0