Did anyone else go see Donnie Swaggart in Kankakee, IL this weekend? How awful!

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
My wife and children and I went to the Saturday night service and it was quite an awful experience. The service started out with some old fashioned Gospel music and praise; that part was nice. My 4 year old daughter really got into the hands raising and the clapping; it was really cute. But that was the only good part of the night.

After the music and the collections Donnie came forward to begin his sermon. He was preaching on the triumphal entry into Jerusalem. He was using Matthew's account, based on the question, "Who is this?" He said that how you answered those 3 words would decide your fate: heaven or hell. I was interested to see where he would go with this.

But then it was over at that, for the most part. He then started talking about how his son Matthew is an alien, and how, when Matthew was a teenager, he got upset with Donnie for not knocking before he entered his room. Donnie said he picked him up by the throat, smashed his face into the door, and asked, "Is this the door you wanted me to knock on?" He then spoke about how we, as parents, could fix disobedience by going to the nearest sporting goods store, purchasing a baseball bat, and holding it under their chins threatening them if they get out of line. From there he spoke about how he owns a pistol and will shoot you dead if you enter his home uninvited. From there he spoke about how he hates horses and hunting. Somewhere near the end he went off on the evils of religion.

And then it was time for the baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. I believe in tongues. I believe people still speak in them. But what we witnessed was demonic. It started out nice, with some people getting filled with the Holy Ghost. But then a woman dropped to her hands and knees, screaming at the top of her lungs, occassionally yelling some incoherant words, and having to be restrained because she was humping the floor, back and forth, back and forth; and boy, were people crying and clapping and cheering because she was just so filled with the Holy Ghost. My wife and I looked at each other, and without having to say a word, she took my daughter, I took my son, and we left.

We watch SBN once in awhile and it's generally good stuff, so we thought it would be great to go. This was so, so, so disappointing.

Reactions: seashale76

Optimus Fortis

N°6
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2011
UK
✟35,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Parable of the Baseball Bat is a new one to me.

It is quite concerning that there is more Christ-like/ Christian teaching in Star Wars:

"Fear leads to anger, anger to hate, hate to suffering."

What is so complicated about public tongues requiring an interpretation?

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That third paragraph you wrote was rather disturbing, M2M. I'm all for private property rights, but calling his son an alien and treating him like that? Debi Pearl woud be proud.

A church friend of mine told a somewhat similar story about being part of a Charismatic service not to long ago. She said the pastor told everyone to close their eyes and he would come around and touch everyone and proclaim that, "The Holy Ghost is here!" The only church service she walked out off.

I imagine that those services are best attended by folks who have the gift of discernment. I wouldn't want to attribute the works of the Spirirt to the works of demons and vice versa.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donny Swaggart. .... who ?
by the way ... i yelled on sunday .. roared out loud actually after being prayed for . so much grief welled up in me ..my whole being cried out unto the lord .loudly ..i sobbed and shook . im extremely preacfull now .recently i had been through a traumatic situation but god healed me .

I know nothing of the meeting you speak of but you just cannot look on the outer and judge the inner -because you do not know .only God does .. also it is normal, in a super natural sense for the presence of the lord to force demons to manifest -they find it hard to hide in the presence of his revealing light ,, often this is what people see and then say oh its evil ..but you cant say that ..you don't know what is going on .

again ..i know nothing of the meeting you were in .nor do i think i missed much ,some preachers use shock value to grab folks attention ,sounds like he was doing that -to the extreme ..lol grab a baseball bat ? does he have a gangster family ?

Upvote 0
K

kellhus

Donnie said he picked him up by the throat, smashed his face into the door, and asked, "Is this the door you wanted me to knock on?" He then spoke about how we, as parents, could fix disobedience by going to the nearest sporting goods store, purchasing a baseball bat, and holding it under their chins threatening them if they get out of line.

One wonders if Child Protective Services has removed this lunatic's children from his home yet?

I mean really, telling this story, on camera and before witnesses is going to be enough to at least get CPS investigating the matter if anyone files a report.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is disturbing.. It's almost unbelievable. Was Jimmy there? He couldn't approve of this!! If he does I don't know what this world is coming to.
funny how stances have changed due to social pressures and social propaganda and social conditioning .

its like we have forgotten the book of proverbs because the world says its uncool.
"spare the rod,spoil the child "
"beat thy son ,he shall not die"
(imo this is speaking of a son who stands as tall as his mother and is being an insolent fool)

few recall that the penalty for a child striking a parent was death....

hope we dont forget Jesus just because the world says they know better

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
That is disturbing.. It's almost unbelievable. Was Jimmy there? He couldn't approve of this!! If he does I don't know what this world is coming to.

No, Jimmy wasn't there. We saw Gabriel and Joseph in Peoria last year and they acted nothing like how Donnie did over the weekend. It was quite disappointing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

kellhus

funny how stances have changed due to social pressures and social propaganda and social conditioning . its like we have forgotten the book of proverbs because the world says its uncool. "spare the rod,spoil the child " "beat thy son ,he shall not die" (imo this is speaking of a son who stands as tall as his mother and is being an insolent fool) few recall that the penalty for a child striking a parent was death.... hope we dont forget Jesus just because the world says they know better

*facepalm*

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, I don't suggest that you kill your (current or future) children, or that the thought would even cross your mind; but if you do, God forbid, then let us know how that works out for you in this life and the next. In fact, even if you wish to use a rod on your (current or future) children, let us know how that works out for you in this life, with DCFS and the child's feelings towards you in adulthood.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
But then it was over at that, for the most part. He then started talking about how his son Matthew is an alien, and how, when Matthew was a teenager, he got upset with Donnie for not knocking before he entered his room. Donnie said he picked him up by the throat, smashed his face into the door, and asked, "Is this the door you wanted me to knock on?" He then spoke about how we, as parents, could fix disobedience by going to the nearest sporting goods store, purchasing a baseball bat, and holding it under their chins threatening them if they get out of line. From there he spoke about how he owns a pistol and will shoot you dead if you enter his home uninvited. From there he spoke about how he hates horses and hunting. Somewhere near the end he went off on the evils of religion.
Wow. what a weird and horrible thing to have to hear.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*facepalm*
do not make the error of assuming im a follower of this swaggart guy.
i was making a separate point in regard to changing attitudes in the face of worldly influence. your response displays you either you misread it or your a liberal christian .
i like to bring every topic down to relationship between us and the lord..where am i at,where are you at.
because rambling on about all the bad things some guy said is the role of the adversary... it is finger pointing,back stabbing gossip.all of which we are taught not to do.
if we believe our brother/sister believer in Jesus are in error.our GODLY response is to pray fervently for that person and place them firmly in Gods hands.not accuse and condemn...thats what satin does, we should not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donnie Swaggart has been divorced twice, and I would simply avoid him. However, the Bible does clearly teach that we are not to speak in tongues in church without an interpreter.

or does it say not to bring forth a declaration in tongues ..but if you do let it be interpreted ?
after all i speak in tongues mostly every service i am in.. but not even the person next to me necessarily knows i'm doing so .so what would be the need for interpretation?

summary .. don't take good advice given to avoid extroverts making a meeting a bit confusing .. turn it into law and impose it on every one . Paul is advising a good orderly form of doing things .not making a law .

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
None of what is written about the whole Swaggart clan surprises me. I've heard the most virulent and evil condemnation coming from their pulpits than from any other platform either inside or outside the Christian world. They are all about pointing fingers and exalting themselves, and not at all willing to inwardly search their own hearts for the strongly existing hatred and hopelessness that pervades their hearts.

The heart of man is desperately wicked, as we are told, but we are encouraged to search our hearts for that which God is so willing to help us overcome, none of which is taking place in these men. Sad, really, because still too many members of the body of Christ are willing to sit under their so-called ministries. The seeds the Swaggarts sow will bear fruit to spread the same vicious vomit they do.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So besides that teaching of his obviously being disturbing . . . what disturbs me more is that an obviously demon-possessed women had the chance to be liberated but instead of rebuking people attributed it to the Holy Spirit.

A lesson many Pentecostals need to learn - pray for discernment! Not everyone that shakes is feeling the Holy Spirit! The Devil can copyright many manifestations - and like someone mentioned - demons cannot hold on sometimes in the presence of God and they certainly manifest and we have to be able to realize that so they can be rebuked!

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So besides that teaching of his obviously being disturbing . . . what disturbs me more is that an obviously demon-possessed women had the chance to be liberated but instead of rebuking people attributed it to the Holy Spirit.

A lesson many Pentecostals need to learn - pray for discernment! Not everyone that shakes is feeling the Holy Spirit! The Devil can copyright many manifestations - and like someone mentioned - demons cannot hold on sometimes in the presence of God and they certainly manifest and we have to be able to realize that so they can be rebuked!

:D

Upvote 0