Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was recently reading Genesis 2 and 3 and among another point I noticed something I had overlooked in the past and probably for the same reason I had overlooked the other thing I started another thread about; in all of my learned teachings and sermons upon God's Word the theme of the Creation of Man and Woman and how the Original Sin occurred overshadowed other facts like the fact that we know for certain that God only told Adam not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, the Tree of the K of G & E.
Genesis 2:16-18 NIV "And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
"The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”"
Genisis 2: 21-22 NIV "So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."

We have no record that God told Eve not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, yet she was responsible for knowing such. We are however informed that Adam was given the command from God not eat of the Forbidden Tree BEFORE Eve was created. This seems to imply that Adam was supposed to effectively, accurately and powerfully/impressively,
relay the command to Eve.

How did Eve respond to the serpent?

Genesis 3:2-3 NIV "The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’ ”"

What Eve tells the serpent is not what God told Adam. If God had told Eve it makes absolute sense that God would have differentiated what Tree in the middle of the Garden from which not to eat just as He did with Adam, as there were two Trees in the middle of the Garden. Consequentially, one is led to believe that Adam relayed the command to Eve. As I understand it Adam and Eve were perfect so there was no mental deficiency at play preventing an understanding. Did Adam drop the ball? Well, God in His Omniscience, punished both of them severely. One could say and I have heard such in the past that the woman who ate first had beguiled the man to eat; that Eve's perfect beauty and now enlightenment of evil as well as good made Adam a naive victim in the original sin. But what if the reason for Eve's sin was because Adam failed to effectively relay God's command to Eve? This would give credence to God punishing both severely.

Do you think that Adam dropped the ball in relaying God's command? What do you observe in male/female relations when it comes to relaying imperative commands?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently reading Genesis 2 and 3 and among another point I noticed something I had overlooked in the past and probably for the same reason I had overlooked the other thing I started another thread about; in all of my learned teachings and sermons upon God's Word the theme of the Creation of Man and Woman and how the Original Sin occurred overshadowed other facts like the fact that we know for certain that God only told Adam not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, the Tree of the K of G & E.
Genesis 2:16-18 NIV "And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
"The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”"
Genisis 2: 21-22 NIV "So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."

We have no record that God told Eve not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, yet she was responsible for knowing such. We are however informed that Adam was given the command from God not eat of the Forbidden Tree BEFORE Eve was created. This seems to imply that Adam was supposed to effectively, accurately and powerfully/impressively,

Genesis 3:2-3 NIV "The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’ ”"

What Eve tells the serpent is not what God told Adam. If God had told Eve it makes absolute sense that God would have differentiated what Tree in the middle of the Garden from which not to eat just as He did with Adam, as there were two Trees in the middle of the Garden. Consequentially, one is led to believe that Adam relayed the command to Eve. As I understand it Adam and Eve were perfect so there was no mental deficiency at play preventing an understanding. Did Adam drop the ball? Well, God in His Omniscience, punished both of them severely. One could say and I have heard such in the past that the woman who ate first had beguiled the man to eat; that Eve's perfect beauty and now enlightenment of evil as well as good made Adam a naive victim in the original sin. But what if the reason for Eve's sin was because Adam failed to effectively relay God's command to Eve? This would give credence to God punishing both severely.

Do you think that Adam dropped the ball in relaying God's command? What do you observe in male/female relations when it comes to relaying imperative commands?
I think what Eve says is pretty close to Adam's warning. But she added, "neither shall you touch it". So when nothing happened when she touched it, she probably doubted God, thinking he said that.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Ge 2:8-9 NIV

There is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT difference in what Eve told the serpent and what God told Adam. We are told above that God placed TWO trees in the middle of the garden and they were diametrically opposed, so to speak, to each other. One tree they were welcome to eat of was the Tree of Life, eternal life and the other; the forbidden tree of which they would surely die if they ate of it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We have no record that God told Eve not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, yet she was responsible for knowing such.

We do have record ... They both knew

Adam knew

Genesis 2:17

16And the LORD God commanded him, “You (Adam) may eat freely from every tree of the garden, 17but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; for in the day that you eat of it, you will surely die.”

Eve knew

Genesis 3:3

2The woman answered the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden, 3but about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘You must not eat of it or touch it, or you will die.’ 

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

One possible explanation is that Adam told Eve "God said not to eat of that tree lest we die, so don't touch it," as a way of trying to keep her safe, trying to establish a boundary. Then Eve translates that to "... so don't eat of it or touch it, lest you die."

The problem with saying it was Adam's fault for not communicating correctly (I get this is meant by "dropping the ball") is that the Bible really doesn't say that. And it is further problematic to blame the husbands for all the wife's indiscretions (if this is what is suggested). Dropping the ball in communication wasn't the cause of Eve's sin, but the scripture says she was deceived, so deception was the cause of it. Today's application of this is clear, as many people, both men and women, sin because of deception.

To be sure, men have a responsibility to notice when there is a difficulty in the relationship, and to be a spiritual leader. Adam and Eve didn't "know they were naked" until after Adam ate, implying that it took him disobeying the command for the fall and the sinful nature to take its toll. Further, Paul says that Adam wasn't deceived, which implies that he ate of the fruit for a completely different reason than Eve, since Eve was deceived. That statement (1 Tim. 2:14) implies that even today the man of the house has spiritual authority and leadership, and all the responsibility that goes with it. If a husband really loves his wife, he will notice such things and investigate, not wanting the relationship to go sour.

Yet another place where Adam "dropped the ball" was the fact that he said nothing when the serpent was talking to Eve. It says "she gave to her husband with her," which indicates he was there all that time. One has to wonder, why didn't he intervene and tell her not to listen? This begs lots of questions.

But if God had created man so perfectly as people say, then Eve would not have been deceived, because she would have perfectly remembered what she was told. People do not normally have a photographic memory. Sometimes we get things mixed up. It's part of our nature. Perhaps Adam did drop the ball so to speak in failing to have Eve memorize the command. But before that event, he probably wasn't aware of the craftiness of the serpent.
TD:)

Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

She knew because she told the Shinning one that God told her to not eat it .
If u read the bible there is somewhere passage explaining differences of how they sinned.

1) Eve was deceived by ability to become like God lied to her by Shinning one
2) Adam was not deceived but choose to die with Eve rather to live without her

and they got different punishments other than both dying
for example Eve caused woman to be put below Man in hierarchy

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's shows that he should have been more responsible. He's been alone and when he finally gets a wife he runs off and does what?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She knew because she told the Shinning one that God told her to not eat it .
Eve did not tell the serpent that God told her not to eat. Eve did not say that God told me. She said, "God has said" or something to that affect depending upon your version. That would imply two possibilities of how Eve knew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At first Eve responded with what God had said Then in her mind she considered what she saw and what the serpent came back with - the opposite of what God had said.

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, ..." Gen 3:6

compare to:
"all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One possible explanation is that Adam told Eve "God said not to eat of that tree lest we die, so don't touch it," as a way of trying to keep her safe, trying to establish a boundary. Then Eve translates that to "... so don't eat of it or touch it, lest you die."
I agree with that possibility. I thought of it myself. But the mix up about which tree in the middle of the Garden baffles me. Eve only knew not to touch (or eat) of the tree in the middle of the garden. As we are told in Genesis 2:9 there were two Trees in the middle of the Garden and it was a matter of life and death to know the difference.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At first Eve responded with what God had said
She responds with what she THOUGHT God had said. Adam could have relayed the message and I suppose he did due to gross and critical (a matter of life and death) difference between what Eve thought God said and what we KNOW God said to Adam. I would like to believe that if God had directly told Eve He would have made sure that she understood WHICH tree in the middle of the Garden of WHICH not to eat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's shows that he should have been more responsible. He's been alone and when he finally gets a wife he runs off and does what?
What do you think Adam did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes. And you can see this sin played out in the world constantly still today. The man isn't always actively evil. The man is passive and doesn't interfere when he should because it's easier in the short term. So, evil is spread by passively standing by when we should be doing something to stop it.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As already established here and in God's Word, BOTH Adam and Eve CHOSE to sin. Both knew NOT to eat. Yes, Eve may not have known which tree in the middle of the Garden, but she did know it was the tree the serpent was trying to deceive her about. This is not about blaming Adam for Eve's sin as it is clear that she knew not to eat of the tree of which the serpent got her to eat.

This thread is about the possibility of Adam not accurately relaying God's Word; the "why" behind the gross difference between what Eve thought God said and what we know God said to Adam. Or could this be the first case of the misinterpretation of God's Word by Adam and/or Eve?

Last edited:
Upvote 0