✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think Adam did?

My take on it is that Adam told her not to and she figured that because she was a woman she knew better than everyone else. My wife does that to me all the time. Just joking. I really don't know, just because it isn't written doesn't mean it didn't happen. Probably wasn't needed for reference in the bible.

• Friendly
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with that possibility. I thought of it myself. But the mix up about which tree in the middle of the Garden baffles me. Eve only knew not to touch (or eat) of the tree in the middle of the garden. As we are told in Genesis 2:9 there were two Trees in the middle of the Garden and it was a matter of life and death to know the difference.
I don't think Eve was confused about which tree. The way I read the context, she knew which tree not to eat of. "In the midst of the garden" is just another way of saying "that tree," IMO. The question is, what was she and Adam doing there in the first place? If Eve thought not to touch the fruit, then why was she close enough to reach it? Did the serpent draw her curiosity in some other way as a ruse? Nothing is said about that, so it would certainly be speculating. All we know is that the serpent deceived her, which I think means he got her to actually believe something contrary to God's word.
TD:)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I was recently reading Genesis 2 and 3 and among another point I noticed something I had overlooked in the past and probably for the same reason I had overlooked the other thing I started another thread about; in all of my learned teachings and sermons upon God's Word the theme of the Creation of Man and Woman and how the Original Sin occurred overshadowed other facts like the fact that we know for certain that God only told Adam not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, the Tree of the K of G & E.
Genesis 2:16-18 NIV "And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
"The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”"
Genisis 2: 21-22 NIV "So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."

We have no record that God told Eve not to eat of the Forbidden Tree, yet she was responsible for knowing such. We are however informed that Adam was given the command from God not eat of the Forbidden Tree BEFORE Eve was created. This seems to imply that Adam was supposed to effectively, accurately and powerfully/impressively,
relay the command to Eve.

How did Eve respond to the serpent?

Genesis 3:2-3 NIV "The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’ ”"

What Eve tells the serpent is not what God told Adam. If God had told Eve it makes absolute sense that God would have differentiated what Tree in the middle of the Garden from which not to eat just as He did with Adam, as there were two Trees in the middle of the Garden. Consequentially, one is led to believe that Adam relayed the command to Eve. As I understand it Adam and Eve were perfect so there was no mental deficiency at play preventing an understanding. Did Adam drop the ball? Well, God in His Omniscience, punished both of them severely. One could say and I have heard such in the past that the woman who ate first had beguiled the man to eat; that Eve's perfect beauty and now enlightenment of evil as well as good made Adam a naive victim in the original sin. But what if the reason for Eve's sin was because Adam failed to effectively relay God's command to Eve? This would give credence to God punishing both severely.

Do you think that Adam dropped the ball in relaying God's command? What do you observe in male/female relations when it comes to relaying imperative commands?

I think that the problem was not so much in regard to what Adam told Even, but in regard to how her desire warped her perception of what Adam told her. Once desire enters the picture, true and false becomes good and evil, which clouds our judgement where we are not sure if something is truly good or if we just think that it is good because we desire it, so eating of the tree did not cause them to gain anything, but rather it only clouded their judgement.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that the problem was not so much in regard to what Adam told Even, but in regard to how her desire warped her perception of what Adam told her. Once desire enters the picture, true and false becomes good and evil, which clouds our judgement where we are not sure if something is truly good or if we just think that it is good because we desire it, so eating of the tree did not cause them to gain anything, but rather it only clouded their judgement.
If anyone sins, we can safely say their judgment is clouded, I think. But how deep it goes with Adam and Eve we aren't told. Did Adam really desire the fruit, or did he eat for some other reason, since Paul says he was not deceived? But since Eve was deceived, she desired it as part of the deception. I read it that she was convinced that the bad thing was something good. But Adam ate, knowing it was bad, or at least knowing he was disobeying God. If a child is told something is poison, does he eat it anyway as an experiment to see what will happen to him? If people are told something is sinful, do they test God? Do they do it anyway to see what God will do to them? This can certainly happen today, especially if they see other people doing it, and no apparent consequences.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
one tree, two perceptions of it ...
"The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Genesis 2:9 NIV

• Agree
Reactions: honey badger
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
honey badger, your pen name reminds me of a car ferry by the name of Badger in our port town. It crosses Lake Mi daily (about 60 mi/~96 km) to Manitowac, WI. Most of the time it crosses twice a day, actually, 4 crossings, 2 round trips. The Great Lakes can be very treacherous and have sunk many ocean and Great Lake freighters. Lake Superior, for ex., avg depth is 500 ft and has a depth over 1300 ft. 10 Great Lakes Shipwrecks My perception is that you would be extremely interested in this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
honey badger, your pen name reminds me of a car ferry by the name of Badger in our port town. It crosses Lake Mi daily (about 60 mi/~96 km) to Manitowac, WI. Most of the time it crosses twice a day, actually, 4 crossings, 2 round trips. The Great Lakes can be very treacherous and have sunk many ocean and Great Lake freighters. Lake Superior, for ex., avg depth is 500 ft and has a depth over 1300 ft. 10 Great Lakes Shipwrecks My perception is that you would be extremely interested in this.

what seeds our perception is relational to where we are ...

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what seeds our perception is relational to where we are ...
Perception is totally self-centered and dictated by ignorance and governed by the sensual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums