Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would suggest this one. Besides offering good advice on how to deal with modern man's problems, the prayers of this Saintly Elder will help you abundantly if you labor to read it.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Look into eating a good diet.

I have met young people who are depressed because their blood sugar is doing crazy things. They feel depressed when it is low (hypoglycemia), and hypoglycemia often precedes full blown diabetes. High blood sugar can give you weird feelings too. When the sugar level is dropping, you can feel very anxious, nauseated, sweaty, and weak.

People who eat a lot of sugary foods and drink sodas and alcohol can have rapid shifts in their blood sugar levels that might even make them appear to be bipolar. What happens is that a person will eat something sweet, feel immediately better (high), but then feel awful when it drops. So they crave more sugar, feel good for a while, but feel bad again. Sure, the sugar fix is temporary, but the pancreas can wear out. When the pancreas no longer produces insulin or the body does not react properly to sufficient insulin, then diabetes takes over.

So, giving up all sugar and eating healthy fats (uncooked butter, cheeses, and yougurt) might really help your moods. Since eating more fats and giving up all sugar, I feel so much better and have more energy.

Talk with a doctor ... an endocrinologist might be good to consult to rule out diabetes or another hormonal problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey marina. I have been into bodybuilding for a while, so my diet has been very good for quite some time. I know it's not a diet issue. Thank you though.

ICXN thanks as well. I'll check it out.

Things just seem hopeless. I've developed a very nihilistic view of life lately. Like nothing really matters in the end. Nothing I do matters, nothing anyone does matters. We are just a speck of dust in a massive galaxy. I'll stop right there lol, but that is the gist of it. Very hard for me to even get up anymore.

Reactions: Macarius
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey marina. I have been into bodybuilding for a while, so my diet has been very good for quite some time. I know it's not a diet issue. Thank you though.

ICXN thanks as well. I'll check it out.

Things just seem hopeless. I've developed a very nihilistic view of life lately. Like nothing really matters in the end. Nothing I do matters, nothing anyone does matters. We are just a speck of dust in a massive galaxy. I'll stop right there lol, but that is the gist of it. Very hard for me to even get up anymore.

I'm sorry you feel that way bro, I was there about eight years ago when I was in high school. In my case though the depression came from taking Acutane for acne, but the result was a very depressed outlook on life, unwilling to socialize, spending six hours a day just napping (I'd go to school, come home, nap, eat dinner, do a little homework and then go to bed).

One small pattern I've noticed both with myself when I was depressed and with friends who are/were in the same boat is they would shut themselves into their apartment/house/room. Sometimes, and this may sound silly, but just getting a larger than normal dose of fresh air can help a lot. You said you do or did bodybuilding so I imagine you would workout inside a gym, maybe switch it up and take a walk regularly or even a bike ride? It seems like sometimes cardio does a better job of releasing endorphins than lifting, but that may just be me. I know if I'm feeling a bit low on a particular day things turn around a bit when my wife and I take a stroll down the bike path near our place.

My wife and I have a friend with a gastrointestinal disease and sadly I could probably count the number of times this friend has left their home on two hands. I honestly think the stale air and dark lighting that comes from always being inside can really have an emotional and psychological impact on a person.

Sorry if I'm way off the mark here, I'm not yet Orthodox so I don't know near as much as our friends here that are, thus I can't really make any book recommendations. I'll be praying for you though, I can somewhat relate by experience how rotten depression can be.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Listen to Maria! A good diet may work wonders for you. Years ago I was feeling depressed and she sent me a message telling me to rethink my diet, and it really did work wonders for me. I don't think it's a cure-all for all depressed people, but it sure can help some.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I were you, I'd look into two things: my physical/mental health, and my spiritual health, for which I'd go to a medical professional for one and my priest for the other. They can work together in helping you. :)

Reactions: Colleen1
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One small pattern I've noticed both with myself when I was depressed and with friends who are/were in the same boat is they would shut themselves into their apartment/house/room. Sometimes, and this may sound silly, but just getting a larger than normal dose of fresh air can help a lot. You said you do or did bodybuilding so I imagine you would workout inside a gym, maybe switch it up and take a walk regularly or even a bike ride? It seems like sometimes cardio does a better job of releasing endorphins than lifting, but that may just be me. I know if I'm feeling a bit low on a particular day things turn around a bit when my wife and I take a stroll down the bike path near our place.
I feel the same way about walking and riding my bike. When walking the dogs on the little trial behind my house, it brings much peace to be out in nature and quiet. I used to get some prayer in then, too. Now, I've got a cruiser bike so I can take short bike rides around my neighborhood. I'm hoping to work up to that and get back into walking once I recover from my surgery.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you feel that way bro, I was there about eight years ago when I was in high school. In my case though the depression came from taking Acutane for acne, but the result was a very depressed outlook on life, unwilling to socialize, spending six hours a day just napping (I'd go to school, come home, nap, eat dinner, do a little homework and then go to bed).

My wife and I have a friend with a gastrointestinal disease and sadly I could probably count the number of times this friend has left their home on two hands. I honestly think the stale air and dark lighting that comes from always being inside can really have an emotional and psychological impact on a person.

Sorry if I'm way off the mark here, I'm not yet Orthodox so I don't know near as much as our friends here that are, thus I can't really make any book recommendations. I'll be praying for you though, I can somewhat relate by experience how rotten depression can be.

Yes, Vitamin D and fresh air are very important.
However, exercising outside in the early morning and the late afternoon with the nationwide mosquito bloom could result in West Nile Virus. That can also cause severe illness, depression, and even death.

Be sure to wear protective clothing and use a good mosquito repellant like CedarCide (go online). That stuff really works. Avoid products with Deet.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you or your doctors ruled out food, pollen, or inhalant allergies or even chemical sensitivities?

Lysol can cause problems, and it is used almost everywhere institutionally. The chemicals in lysol products give me headaches when I visit bathrooms in stores.

One of the posters mentioned household odors. Certainly, a rug that has never been cleaned professionally could be loaded with the feces of small and microscopic insects such as dust mites, silverfish, cockroaches, and carpet beetles. On the Doctor's (ABC) they were discussing critters that live on us and they mentioned that a mattress doubles its weight in 10 years due to the exoskeletons and fecal matter from dust mites, not to mention those bed bugs. I am getting itchy just thinking of these critters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

I had a similar worldview when I was back in college. That we are too invested in material things to keep our eyes away from seeing how mundane, boring, worthless, and inconsequential our lives really are.

Maybe you have too much on your plate? Maybe your social life is in tatters? Are you at a point where doing even the smallest things is a struggle? Can't even force yourself to eat?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There may be physical causes. Or maybe others.
For the physical, St John's Wort has some recommendation.

For others, volunteering at a soup kitchen, orphanage or hospice can work absolute wonders. That is, if you really want to get out of the funk. There's nothing like dealing with people worse off than you to snap you out of it. And it is a thing that needs snapping, not reasoning.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know some good things to read are articles by Fr George Morelli, who is a psychologist as well as a priest. I know he has written stuff to deal with both spiritual and psychological things. the Antiochian home page usually has a ton of posts by him.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good advice.

There may be physical causes. Or maybe others.
For the physical, St John's Wort has some recommendation.

For others, volunteering at a soup kitchen, orphanage or hospice can work absolute wonders. That is, if you really want to get out of the funk. There's nothing like dealing with people worse off than you to snap you out of it. And it is a thing that needs snapping, not reasoning.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I still think that there might be multiple causes, and that diet could play a part.

You say that you understand what a good diet entails because you are into body building. Well, my son was also into body building, and he used a powdered protein supplement (meal in a can) to boost his muscles. He was not feeling so great. Then he read the ingredients: SOY PROTEIN. And it was probably GMO SOY PROTEIN. Well, soy is hard on the liver according to our M.D. GMO stuff has not been tested scientifically. Do you want to be part of a live experiment, a human guinea pig?

Not only was he passing a lot of gas, he was not feeling good, and he was in a slump. When he stopped eating that junk, he felt so much better.

In conclusion:

Diet is important:

a. Eat ORGANIC fresh fruit and vegetables, real pastured butter, and grass-fed dairy products and meats, and organic-fed chicken and their eggs.

b. Avoid all processed foods and fast foods from Golden Arches and other drive-through places. Do not drink soda pops, soft drinks, flavored water, or fruit drinks as they contain too much sugar. Avoid store bought cakes and pies, or packages of donuts and pastries, as research has shown that those kinds of sugary foods and drinks do lead to diabetes.

c. Read all labels on products before buying them or consuming them.
MSG, protein isolates, casein, artificial food coloring, natural food flavorings and artificial food flavorings can make you sick and make you feel depressed.

Exercise regularly and breathe some fresh air.

Taking a walk does wonders for improving one's outlook on life. Look at the flowers, the trees, the sunrise, and the sunset. Walk outside with friends. Play a game of basketball.

Pray regularly.

Sing the psalms and church hymns.
Pray the Paraclesis (Small canon) to the Theotokos. She will lift your spirit if you pray to her with confidence.
Receive the sacraments regularly.

Get plenty of sleep

Read some good books.
Read the lives of the saints, especially the New Martyrs of Russia.

Volunteer to help at church or at a soup kitchen.
Turn off the TV and Radio, and go help some people.
You might meet someone interesting, like a nice girl.

Finally, go and see several doctors for a complete evaluation.
Endocrinologists can often discover the root cause of depression.
Have you had your thyroid checked lately? People with low thyroid can be misdiagnosed with clinical depression, when all they need is 1/2 grain of thyroid.
Allergists may discover that one of your favorite foods is the culprit.
Could it be that you are gluten intolerant? That can cause depression like symptoms too.
If everything in your blood test is normal, and you do go to a psychologist or psychiatrist, find a Christian doctor.

Reactions: ma2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think this one is quite good:
Amazon.com: Conquering Depression: Heavenly Wisdom from God Illumined Teachers (9780938635956): St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood: Books

I also read this one: Amazon.com: Depression: A Spiritual Guide (9789608663916): Spyridon Logothetis: Books , but it wasn't that helpful to me.

Jean-Claude Larchet has some very good books on this matter: Finding The Way To The Heart: Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses

Also, Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos and Dmitry Avdeev.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

bibledoctor

Aug 13, 2012
✟737.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Are there any good books (orthodox or not) on depression? I've been struggling with it a lot lately and would like to not have to resort to medication. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

There are contemporary books on depression outside of the orthodox christian context.

I suggest reading "Illness and Cure of the Soul in the Orthodox tradition"...

Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
are you talking about Orthodox Psychotherapy?

I have heard great reviews about that one, but I haven't read it myself. I don't know if it covers depression specifically.

There are contemporary books on depression outside of the orthodox christian context.

I suggest reading "Illness and Cure of the Soul in the Orthodox tradition"...

This one I bought, but haven't read yet. It's also written by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0