Depression loosing Faith help!

• Thread starter IndustrialGirl87
  • Start date
I

IndustrialGirl87

I am having a hard time keeping my focus on Jesus, I find it hard to read my bible and I struggle to understand what I read.

I haven't been to a service since June or July. I was re diagnosed with depression this September for the fourth time. Before this depression episode I was really quite motivated and did quite a lot of things.

In August 2012 I was on anti dpressants and when I went to a Christian festival I forgot to pack my medication but I didn't need them and slept quite well but I think I was going through a better mood and that mood continued once I was back home and for a while I was in a good mood but more so and started many things at church and outside of church.

At the beginning of this year though everything has gone down hill and everything I did has now stopped. I did get a few days where I was happy but that didn't last long.

When I go into a depression EVERYTHING goes EVERYTHING even my faith seems to be slipping everyday is a struggle and I have no idea what to do.

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I am having a hard time keeping my focus on Jesus, I find it hard to read my bible and I struggle to understand what I read.

I haven't been to a service since June or July. I was re diagnosed with depression this September for the fourth time. Before this depression episode I was really quite motivated and did quite a lot of things.

In August 2012 I was on anti dpressants and when I went to a Christian festival I forgot to pack my medication but I didn't need them and slept quite well but I think I was going through a better mood and that mood continued once I was back home and for a while I was in a good mood but more so and started many things at church and outside of church.

At the beginning of this year though everything has gone down hill and everything I did has now stopped. I did get a few days where I was happy but that didn't last long.

When I go into a depression EVERYTHING goes EVERYTHING even my faith seems to be slipping everyday is a struggle and I have no idea what to do.

The best thing that you can do besides praying to be released from the depression is to follow doctor's orders and if they are to take a depression medication, do so.

I know that when I was diagnosed in August, I was given a script for Wellbutrin and it has helped immensely. I am getting to the point where I am able to read my Bible once more and to actually care to pray to God. I actually care about my marriage once more.

So prayer and doctor's orders are what I would recommend.

Upvote 0

malckiah

Jesus Christ is my God and King!
Dec 9, 2006
Texas
✟17,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Advice: Get a NKJV Study Bible to help you with understanding The Bible. Try to read the bible during a time of day that you are most awake so that you do not get sleepy and can focus well. Also surround yourself with Christ. Get involved in a Bible teaching church. See if you have a Calvary Chapel in your area... they teach the Word verse by verse and are very doctrinally sound. The more involved you get in the church the more those friends you make there will be there to help you as you struggle. And of course continue to pray as much as you can. Even if your prayer is simply "Lord help me." little prayer is better than no prayer and God already knows what you really need. Trust in Him and He will help you. Last but not least take things one day at a time.

Upvote 0
I

IndustrialGirl87

my local church is a bible teaching church. I have a hard time in trusting people apart from my parents. I cannot make a connection to people at all. I could just sit there and people ask me questions but when it comes to asking them to make a two way conversation that doesnt happen.

I watch people have conversations and I wish I can do the same but I can't. I do believe that this is a deep rooted issues and I have a appointment with a Consultant Phsycologist on the 10th December and I am currently on 2 types of anti depressants. I find it hard to pray and I never know what to pray for or about I feel like a fraud.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
my local church is a bible teaching church. I have a hard time in trusting people apart from my parents. I cannot make a connection to people at all. I could just sit there and people ask me questions but when it comes to asking them to make a two way conversation that doesnt happen.

I watch people have conversations and I wish I can do the same but I can't. I do believe that this is a deep rooted issues and I have a appointment with a Consultant Phsycologist on the 10th December and I am currently on 2 types of anti depressants. I find it hard to pray and I never know what to pray for or about I feel like a fraud.

It is possible that those two types of anti-depressants aren't working for you. It can be trial and error to see which your body responds to more readily.

*I am not telling you to stop taking them, I am only advising that you look at the possibility that those two aren't the ones for you and discuss it with your prescribing physician.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Making positive statements about myself and allowing my silent invisible spiritual Jesus within me to listen to me - is like a television advertisement that keeps repeating itself wherever I go, whatever I do and whenever it becomes "right then and now" during times when things don't go your way, or obey your own rules or goals- things that tend to become handicapped like some new and renewing problem obstacle course that you have to escape constantly like you were born to be an emotional rollercoaster where your feelings seem to have more downhills with very little uphills:.
If Jesus says who he is and does what he can do for everyone, as our supernatural healer and warrior against all kinds of sin encounters of the third kind (being humorous here) then let him into our lives and make us open-minded about those meet, especially when social negative attitudes might show signs of life problem issues that are too problematic to talk about, such as financial debt crisis, child abuse, wife abuse .;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

malckiah

Jesus Christ is my God and King!
Dec 9, 2006
Texas
✟17,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Personally I do not condone prescription drugs and the like. I feel there is always a natural way to deal with things. And God is more than powerful enough to help you. A lot of times depression can be caused by the lack of certain vitamins or minerals in your diet as well it can be caused by the inner knowledge that you are not living as you should be. I am not suggesting the latter is your problem.
My wife and I are also very anti social and are still struggling with this to some degree. However the best cure is simply to continue pushing yourself to be in social situations at church and such until over time it becomes more normal. You are not alone as there are TONS of people who find it very awkward at best to socialize.
As far as prayer...just do your best and keep trying. Remember that a prayer doesn't have to be long winded...keep it simple and trust that God is listening and will help you. As far as you feeling like a fraud...well personally I think that most people feel that way to some degree. We are still sinners. Just rememeber that you do not need to hide from God or make yourself look like a saint to God...He already knows the truth and that is why He has provided salvation through Jesus for you. Simply learn to be open with God as much as you can. He knows all of your past, present and future sins and yet He still loves you and gave His life for you!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It used to be extremely hard for me to talk to people but the Lord changed me, and He can change you too. It's hard to understand why the Lord allows these things, but He has a good reason. I think something you need to realize is that this depression is not simply a chemical imbalance but an attack of the enemy, the devil. Even if you don't feel like God hears you, keep asking Him to deliver you from this darkness. Cry out to Jesus and call upon His help. He is there and He hears you and He will answer your prayer. Jesus loves you and He will help you. Praying for you sister. God bless.

Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IndustrialGirl - I've been where you are. I've dealt with depression and anxiety all of my life.

Are you under the care of a good counselor? I know you said you've been on meds, but do you have a therapist that you see regularly? IMHO it's VERY important to have someone to counsel you as well as taking medications; medication should never be used alone.

Honey, I KNOW what you're going through. I know that when you're in a deep depression, you can't connect, you don't feel emotions like you know you should, you can't focus, and every day is like walking through some kind of black shadow that covers your entire life. Don't think that your struggles mean that there's something extra-wrong with you; the things you describe are absolutely common for someone dealing with depression. Don't be too hard on yourself for not functioning the way a "normal person" would. When you're going through depression, it's like a machine that's full of sludge; it's not the machine's fault that it's not working right, and how can you expect it to work right until you get rid of the gunk inside? Work on cleaning our your "gunk" first, and then you can focus on the other things, like reconnecting with people and learning how to function again.

And while I know that, right now, it feels like this is going to be your whole life, and it will never get better, I promise you it CAN get better. Much better!

(((hugs)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pray the truth, no matter how ugly it is. Your Father knows your heart already, He's just waiting for you to share it with Him.

Talk to your doctor about this. Don't let your depression tell you that it's pointless, when you know by experience that things can be better. Don't crawl in that hole, sister.

God bless

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Industrial Girl,

There are many possible causes of depression. Chemical imbalance is one. Social problems is another. Then there is the spiritual aspect.

And the latter two causes can work chemical imbalances in the brain. But that's a two-way street. Resolving those issues can reverse chemical imbalances.

It may be that you have all three working against you at the moment. It sounds like it. Notice that when you were plugged into the Body a lot of the problem went away.

I don't have a magic pill to recommend, but I will tell you what I've learned about overcoming obstacles by faith. We win our battles because of the victory Christ has already won. As the saying goes, we play the game from "win". We are told to stand firm in the victory Christ has wrought for us.

Is that easy when the flesh is screaming the opposite to us? No. But oftentimes it is only because I simply refuse to give up that I am strengthened to persevere and fight again. I say that the obstacles I'm up against are not worthy of the Lord and what He did for me. I give the situation to Him and forge on. Some days are easier than others.

The Body is suffering greatly in various ways all over the world. We are in this together, and are here to strengthen one another. Sooner or later we have to stand our ground and determine not to let the enemy win any longer. The Bible declares that the Lord ALWAYS leads us in triumphal procession. We need to get ourselves in a position of faith - even the tiny mustard seed kind - whether the Lord's power is perfected in our weakness.

Upvote 0

thatforumguy77

Random Person
Nov 5, 2013
✟8,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was also depressed a year ago, and in my own personal experience, the only way to defeat it is by changing your lifestyle. I found my "magic pill" in Christ. I mean, I called myself a Christian before, but I found that I did not fully understand what the grace of God meant. This knowledge has given me a whole new perspective in life and in my ensuing rededication to a life of Christ, I abandoned all I ever worry about and sought Christ first.

This was just the beginning. When I knew Christ, I took it to myself to change for the better. It's as if, knowing Christ was the boost I needed to pick myself up. Change doesn't magically just happen overnight, but it does *begin* overnight. You must simply follow through. My suggestions, according to what I did before:

• If you have medication given by a doctor, take it as advised.
  • Read a quick bible passage every morning the moment you wake up. If God calls you to go beyond that passage and read another, do so, and if he calls you to read a chapter, do so as well. Then, after this passage, pray for a good day ahead.
  • Then take on something physical, perhaps gym, or jogging. Find a companion, so it's not boring, and so both of you can encourage one another to continue the activity.
  • Wake up very early, admire the day that is given, take a short time to admire the sun in the morn and the stars in the evening. Stop sleeping too late.
  • Don't stay too long in your room or stay in the bathroom too often - the loneliness there will only lead you down.
    If people start to argue in front of you, excuse yourself. Some people don't know that a small argument like that has a long lasting effect on us.
  • Stop watching bad TV, it's filled with depressing things, only watch those that are good and praiseworthy. Cartoons is good. Classic comedy is good. Modern comedy... not so much.
  • Stop reading depressing things, or thinking too much on the dark things in life - but instead, read the things that uplift.
  • Stop browsing the bad side of the internet. Look instead on the Chirstian side of the internet. It's smaller, but much more edifying.
  • Play a motivation Christian music each morning. You can find these in Youtube. Turn on safesearch when doing so. Find one that speaks to you personally.
  • When you get the chance, watch Jesus of Nazareth, the one from the 70's.
  • Eat like Daniel. Stop eating red meat, but only vegetables and white meat. Increase fiber intake. Apples are great. Drink herbal tea not coffee.
  • Be thankful for every single thing you do and are able to do.
  • Monopolize your life away from dark things, cut them completely from your life, and then focus only on the bright things.
  • Ask help from whoever in your life can help in this, to accommodate your new lifestyle change.
  • And most of all, pray to God that all these things you do will bear good fruit in you.
These are the things I did... and I can't say it'll work on you too - but some of the things I did also had a physiological and psychological effect on me that changed me completely. Now, I'm a new man. Perhaps the same can work on you - I honestly don't know, but I pray to God it does. But the biggest lifestyle change in me was the knowledge that I was worthless, and yet God still loved me. That was the only lifestyle change that truly made me what i am today. May God bless you and I hope that God can also bring you back to his joy and power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Two Scoops

Apr 27, 2013
✟8,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The bible says that anxiety in the heart causes depression. Thoughts cause anxiety. Be anxious for nothing, cast all your care on Him for He cares for you. Take captive your thoughts. Keep your mind on things above. If you keep your mind on God, it shows that you trust Him. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Do not trust in the wisdom of man, but in the power of God. Ask God for wisdom, and He will give it to you. But ask in faith! You can do ALL things through Christ who strengrhens you.

Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing and in all things give thanks. That is Gods will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not the only person in this world.

But I can be upset and downcast, so much only about what is happening to me. And with this can come depression and paranoid nonsense of only being concerned about what wrong people are doing to me . . . or I am imagining they are wrong to be doing.

And I know someone who can have dark stuff, and he would go to a feeding the needy thing. But that can be a way of avoiding sharing personally and deeply with another person. "Gestures of love are not the same as finding out how to love."

He has seemed to say that our problems are personal and so we need to take care of them, by ourselves > even though James 5:16 does say, "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

If he is in darkness of isolating himself, he can find a way to get around how the Bible says to confess and pray with each other; because of his own way of isolation, he can understand the Bible in a way that has him isolating himself. So . . . for reading the Bible, be wise to however your own selfish ways could get in the way of how you understand the Bible. Trust God to give you ability to read it with Him and how His love's light has you seeing things.

His love's way of seeing things is an adventure. "Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14) Love is creative, using any problem situation for our advantage, even for an all-loving purpose . . . like how Joseph used his slavery situation to save many people's lives. You might read about this in Genesis 37-50 and see how he succeeded in what could have been a very depressing situation.

I think I have seen how certain people can be so cheerful and encouraging, and these are enjoying discovering other people. But this takes God in us, including how He makes us able to keep on loving people . . . after we find out the real truth about them.

Upvote 0