On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To say they developed is not the same as saying they have not existed. They have always existed but in less mature forms, like a tree that has grown over time.
I would call this an invitation to make easy equations.
An acorn is not an oak tree.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would call this an invitation to make easy equations.
An acorn is not an oak tree.

Interesting equation. I have neighbors with massive oak trees which annually shower me with acorns. This morning I got out my lawn mower and deforested my back yard. All those little dogmas met an untimely death.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
When the teachings in question are developed into something different, that's not just growing over time. If it were, Protestantism would actually be Catholicism (but they'd need a different name, like "Mature Catholicism"). ;)
But we don't call Protestantism "mature Catholicism." No one is making that claim.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
We didn't think you would, but it follows logically from what you--not we--wrote.
It absolutely does not. Don't put words in my mouth. Protestantism is not the same tree that grew from the Catholic acorn. It's more like a parasite that grew on the tree.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It absolutely does not. Don't put words in my mouth. Protestantism is not the same tree that grew from the Catholic acorn. It's more like a parasite that grew on the tree.

Interesting. Your fellow Jews have said a similar things about Christianity being the parasite that grew on Judaism.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What came out of your "mouth" was this:

"To say they developed is not the same as saying they have not existed. They have always existed but in less mature forms"

...which I am saying is bunk since most of what the Reformation reformed were not beliefs that had "always existed." Far from it. But if you insist that they did always exist, then Protestantism would amount a more mature form of Catholicism, according to your reasoning.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Denominations are bad, mmmmkay?

I like your method. Point out people who make a thing look bad in order to paint everyone with the same broad brush.

Varieties of bugs and birds and fish and dogs and cats and butterflys and etc... were a mistake on God's part perhaps? Like the Church, God would have preferred all of creation homogenized into one uniform, monolithic blahhh?

No! Plurality of forms of Christianity are one of its strengths. For one thing, it prevents pathology from spreading to all. It also makes the Church a beautiful patchwork quilt of variety which better meets the needs of the varities of folks with whom this world is peopled.

In all of life some people are splitters and some are lumpers. When it come to this subject, I'm a lumper. Denominations are good, mmmkay?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
...which I am saying is bunk since most of what the Reformation reformed were not beliefs that had "always existed." Far from it. But if you insist that they did always exist, then Protestantism would amount a more mature form of Catholicism, according to your reasoning.
Balogne. It doesn't follow from my reasoning at all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Denominations are bad, mmmmkay?

I like your method. Point out people who make a thing look bad in order to paint everyone with the same broad brush.

Varieties of bugs and birds and fish and dogs and cats and butterflys and etc... were a mistake on God's part perhaps? Like the Church, God would have preferred all of creation homogenized into one uniform, monolithic blahhh?

No! Plurality of forms of Christianity are one of its strengths. For one thing, it prevents pathology from spreading to all. It also makes the Church a beautiful patchwork quilt of variety which better meets the needs of the varities of folks with whom this world i peopled.
I like the way you put that. The fact is that all true believers, of whatever denomination, are already united. We usually don't feel that it represents failure if there is more than one kind of plant blossoming in a flowerbed, but when it comes to religion.... :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,193.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like the way you put that. The fact is that all true believers, of whatever denomination, are already united. We usually don't feel that it represents failure if there is more than one kind of plant blossoming in a flowerbed, but when it comes to religion.... :sigh:

My sentiments precisely. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your attempts at endearing yourself are duly noted.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The thing that people who say these things continually ignore is that they aren't the first person to say this. Just take a glance at history over the last two hundred years. Everytime someone comes along and says these things, decides to go "Bible alone, the Holy Spirit will lead me" and start a church with these principles the result is a brand new denomination. Sometimes (oftentimes) the denomination will say it's not a denomination at all. And then people usually come along and go "Well Founder Bob certainly got it halfway right, but he didn't read the Bible quite right, so I really think it should be done this way instead" and--shockingly--a brand new denomination.

Quite true, but what about Protestantism itself? Why not 500 years instead of 200? Why do Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin get a free pass? The phrases you note which so many new denominations like to use were coined by the original "Reformers."

Upvote 0