Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny, I came across this article a while back.

"Canadians Leave Their Country For Better Health Care"

""One of the unfortunate realities of Canada's monopolistic health care system is that some people feel they have no choice but to seek the care they need outside the country," Esmail and Bacchus Barua wrote in an op-ed published last month in a couple of Canadian newspapers. "And who can blame them?"

Canadians Leave Their Country And Find Better Health Care Abroad - Investors.com

It's interesting to note that the reasons given for seeking care elsewhere are pretty vague, no details or specific facts are offered. What it sounds like is those who can afford to go somewhere else do, either to get treatment faster or for stuff that isn't available in Canada (experimental procedures, risky untested medication? The article doesn't say).

But it's nice to know that those who can afford it have more health care options!

-- A2SG, same as here!

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This lady I know in England has a horrible back condition with one vertebrae shifted out of alignment and is in severe pain, and the first appointment she could get with an orthopedic surgeon is in September of this year. Rah, socialized medicine. Anyone want this kind of wait in that condition? Of course, if you are a multi-millionaire like Obama, you can afford the premium system.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This lady I know in England has a horrible back condition with one vertebrae shifted out of alignment and is in severe pain, and the first appointment she could get with an orthopedic surgeon is in September of this year. Rah, socialized medicine. Anyone want this kind of wait in that condition? Of course, if you are a multi-millionaire like Obama, you can afford the premium system.

I know people here who have worse problems, but because they can't afford health insurance, they can't have it treated. Sure, an ER will look at it and give you pain medication, but they won't do surgery unless it's a full-blown emergency. And even then, all they're required to do is stabilize you.

So, really, for those who can't afford it, which system is better?

-- A2SG, that English lady may have to wait for her appointment, but at least she can get one....

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know people here who have worse problems, but because they can't afford health insurance, they can't have it treated. Sure, an ER will look at it and give you pain medication, but they won't do surgery unless it's a full-blown emergency. And even then, all they're required to do is stabilize you.

So, really, for those who can't afford it, which system is better?

-- A2SG, that English lady may have to wait for her appointment, but at least she can get one....

Let's see how our existing government program is doing handing out pain pills.

One-Third of Medicare Patients Prescribed Painkillers from more than one Doctor

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see how our existing government program is doing handing out pain pills.

One-Third of Medicare Patients Prescribed Painkillers from more than one Doctor

Uh, how does this relate to what I was saying, exactly?

For the record, I know people with drug issues occasionally abuse the system, both those on medicaid and those who have private insurance. It happens. Health professionals try to prevent this from happening, but due to privacy issues, it can be complicated sometimes.

-- A2SG, do you have any suggestions that might help the situation?

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Uh, how does this relate to what I was saying, exactly?

For the record, I know people with drug issues occasionally abuse the system, both those on medicaid and those who have private insurance. It happens. Health professionals try to prevent this from happening, but due to privacy issues, it can be complicated sometimes.

-- A2SG, do you have any suggestions that might help the situation?

You were suggesting that ERs hand out pain pills as their primary modus operandi of treatment. I pointed out that those on Medicare have a high rate of pain pill abuse.

How to stop it? It's tough. Education and regulation is what comes to mind. Educate doctors about drug seeking behavior, and regulate it so it is harder to be abused. I know they just moved hydrocodone from Schedule III to Schedule II. As for regulation, when I was in Scouts, I always lined up the narcotics officer to come talk to the boys about it, and they did a great job. One of our parents was an ENT and was enamored by the presentation, because the officers brought in real confiscated drugs to demystify it a bit. But, I'm the last one to want to see people suffer in horrible pain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You were suggesting that ERs hand out pain pills as their primary modus operandi of treatment.

I did not. I suggested that as one possible treatment for those with back pain who do not have insurance, but I never suggested that was their "primary modus operandi of treatment."

I pointed out that those on Medicare have a high rate of pain pill abuse.

And I mentioned Medicare.....when, exactly? What does Medicare have to do with the widespread problem of pain medication abuse anyway? It's not limited to people on Medicare.

How to stop it? It's tough. Education and regulation is what comes to mind. Educate doctors about drug seeking behavior, and regulate it so it is harder to be abused.

Regulate them, how? Many pain medications are already regulated, especially those that are narcotics (which are the ones that are abused, not much Tylenol abuse going on out there!). What further regulations do you suggest?

Also, you might wanna check with the GOP, cuz they're not exactly on board with regulations, as a rule.

I know they just moved hydrocodone from Schedule III to Schedule II.

And that affected the problem how, exactly?

As for regulation, when I was in Scouts, I always lined up the narcotics officer to come talk to the boys about it, and they did a great job. One of our parents was an ENT and was enamored by the presentation, because the officers brought in real confiscated drugs to demystify it a bit. But, I'm the last one to want to see people suffer in horrible pain.

I'm all for education, across the board. But I'm not sure what that has to do with regulation.

-- A2SG, don't really think mystification of pain medication is the underlying problem....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I did not. I suggested that as one possible treatment for those with back pain who do not have insurance, but I never suggested that was their "primary modus operandi of treatment."

And I mentioned Medicare.....when, exactly?

Regulate them, how? Many pain medications are already regulated, especially those that are narcotics (which are the ones that are abused, not much Tylenol abuse going on out there!). What further regulations do you suggest?

-- A2SG, and you may wanna check with the GOP, cuz they're not exactly on board with regulations, as a rule.....

I was drawing a parallel - you know that - you just disagree with it, but that is OK. I know you get my point.

Moving hydrocodone to Schedule II was a good move. I've taken that and oxycodone and there isn't much difference. Personally, I've never had any problems with them, but I've know a lot of people who have.

One idea is to track the prescriptions on a database, so you can only use one doctor for all your pain pills.

Your turn - what ideas do you have to stop drug abuse?

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟94,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was drawing a parallel - you know that - you just disagree with it, but that is OK. I know you get my point.

Moving hydrocodone to Schedule II was a good move. I've taken that and oxycodone and there isn't much difference. Personally, I've never had any problems with them, but I've know a lot of people who have.

And what's the difference in regulation between one schedule and another? How does that aid medical professionals in targeting abuse?

One idea is to track the prescriptions on a database, so you can only use one doctor for all your pain pills.

Well, there might be some issues with HIPAA here, but I can see the benefit in an exception for that kinda thing.

Your turn - what ideas do you have to stop drug abuse?

I think some of the problem stems from having such a mish-mash of systems in place, different insurance carriers, different plans, networks, etc. If there was one single health care system, one database that all providers had access to, it'd be easier to spot things like this. If you saw some other doctor, for example, especially if something like pain medication were involved, your primary doctor would be notified. As it stands, if the two doctors are at different hospitals or carry different insurance, one hand won't know what the other hand is doing.

So I agree, a central database is a great idea to help catch medical abuse. However, I can already see the objections from those who favor privacy over other factors. It's a delicate balancing act, to be sure.

-- A2SG, though we do seem to be drifting from the issue of democratic support for "Obamacare".... just sayin'....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We recently saw that in England, elderly citizens were being denied cataract surgery or in the worst cases were allowed the surgery in one eye only. Oh yeah, that's the kind of health care system we need here. :doh:

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Boy, does this argument sound familiar!
"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
"Are there no prisons?"
"Plenty of prisons..."
"And the Union workhouses." demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"
"Both very busy, sir..."
"Those who are badly off must go there."
"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
-- A2SG, still, it's a Dickens of an argument....
Today's prisons are pretty good. There are many repeat offenders who break the law on PURPOSE to get CAUGHT for the safety of jail. It also would not be the first time people have broken the law for healthcare. I will not detail the crime other than to say that it would not have been violent, but I have considered that WITH insurance.

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Funny, I came across this article a while back.

"Canadians Leave Their Country For Better Health l]

Medical tourism is a growing trend worldwide and isn't limited to Canadians. An estimated 750,000 Americans did the same thing in 2008. Canada receives a good number of medical tourists as well. Americans have even gone to Cuba but that doesn't necessarily imply Cuba has better overall health care services. People with specific aliments shop around for the best buy in that one specific scenario.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We recently saw that in England, elderly citizens were being denied cataract surgery or in the worst cases were allowed the surgery in one eye only. Oh yeah, that's the kind of health care system we need here. :doh:

People need to listen more to such cases before they endorse single payer in the US. Sadly, many don't even read US news, much less international news.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.