• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Democrats Run Away From Obamacare

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Jeffwhosoever, Feb 13, 2014.

1. A2SG

A2SG Gumby

+1,000
    Other Religion
    Married
    It's interesting to note that the reasons given for seeking care elsewhere are pretty vague, no details or specific facts are offered. What it sounds like is those who can afford to go somewhere else do, either to get treatment faster or for stuff that isn't available in Canada (experimental procedures, risky untested medication? The article doesn't say).

But it's nice to know that those who can afford it have more health care options!

-- A2SG, same as here!

2. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant & Seminary Student Staff Member Assistant Chaplain Angels Team Supporter

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    This lady I know in England has a horrible back condition with one vertebrae shifted out of alignment and is in severe pain, and the first appointment she could get with an orthopedic surgeon is in September of this year. Rah, socialized medicine. Anyone want this kind of wait in that condition? Of course, if you are a multi-millionaire like Obama, you can afford the premium system.

3. A2SG

A2SG Gumby

+1,000
    Other Religion
    Married
    I know people here who have worse problems, but because they can't afford health insurance, they can't have it treated. Sure, an ER will look at it and give you pain medication, but they won't do surgery unless it's a full-blown emergency. And even then, all they're required to do is stabilize you.

So, really, for those who can't afford it, which system is better?

-- A2SG, that English lady may have to wait for her appointment, but at least she can get one....

4. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant & Seminary Student Staff Member Assistant Chaplain Angels Team Supporter

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
  5. Jeffwhosoever

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Let's see how our existing government program is doing handing out pain pills.

One-Third of Medicare Patients Prescribed Painkillers from more than one Doctor

6. A2SG

A2SG Gumby

+1,000
    Other Religion
    Married
    Uh, how does this relate to what I was saying, exactly?

For the record, I know people with drug issues occasionally abuse the system, both those on medicaid and those who have private insurance. It happens. Health professionals try to prevent this from happening, but due to privacy issues, it can be complicated sometimes.

-- A2SG, do you have any suggestions that might help the situation?

7. Jeffwhosoever

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    You were suggesting that ERs hand out pain pills as their primary modus operandi of treatment. I pointed out that those on Medicare have a high rate of pain pill abuse.

How to stop it? It's tough. Education and regulation is what comes to mind. Educate doctors about drug seeking behavior, and regulate it so it is harder to be abused. I know they just moved hydrocodone from Schedule III to Schedule II. As for regulation, when I was in Scouts, I always lined up the narcotics officer to come talk to the boys about it, and they did a great job. One of our parents was an ENT and was enamored by the presentation, because the officers brought in real confiscated drugs to demystify it a bit. But, I'm the last one to want to see people suffer in horrible pain.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. A2SG

A2SG Gumby

+1,000
    Other Religion
    Married
    I did not. I suggested that as one possible treatment for those with back pain who do not have insurance, but I never suggested that was their "primary modus operandi of treatment."

And I mentioned Medicare.....when, exactly? What does Medicare have to do with the widespread problem of pain medication abuse anyway? It's not limited to people on Medicare.

Regulate them, how? Many pain medications are already regulated, especially those that are narcotics (which are the ones that are abused, not much Tylenol abuse going on out there!). What further regulations do you suggest?

Also, you might wanna check with the GOP, cuz they're not exactly on board with regulations, as a rule.

And that affected the problem how, exactly?

I'm all for education, across the board. But I'm not sure what that has to do with regulation.

-- A2SG, don't really think mystification of pain medication is the underlying problem....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. Jeffwhosoever

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married

I was drawing a parallel - you know that - you just disagree with it, but that is OK. I know you get my point.

Moving hydrocodone to Schedule II was a good move. I've taken that and oxycodone and there isn't much difference. Personally, I've never had any problems with them, but I've know a lot of people who have.

One idea is to track the prescriptions on a database, so you can only use one doctor for all your pain pills.

Your turn - what ideas do you have to stop drug abuse?

10. A2SG

A2SG Gumby

+1,000
    Other Religion
    Married
    And what's the difference in regulation between one schedule and another? How does that aid medical professionals in targeting abuse?

Well, there might be some issues with HIPAA here, but I can see the benefit in an exception for that kinda thing.

I think some of the problem stems from having such a mish-mash of systems in place, different insurance carriers, different plans, networks, etc. If there was one single health care system, one database that all providers had access to, it'd be easier to spot things like this. If you saw some other doctor, for example, especially if something like pain medication were involved, your primary doctor would be notified. As it stands, if the two doctors are at different hospitals or carry different insurance, one hand won't know what the other hand is doing.

So I agree, a central database is a great idea to help catch medical abuse. However, I can already see the objections from those who favor privacy over other factors. It's a delicate balancing act, to be sure.

-- A2SG, though we do seem to be drifting from the issue of democratic support for "Obamacare".... just sayin'....

11. MachZer0

MachZer0 Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    We recently saw that in England, elderly citizens were being denied cataract surgery or in the worst cases were allowed the surgery in one eye only. Oh yeah, that's the kind of health care system we need here. :doh:

12. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover CF Ambassadors Supporter

+4,873
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Today's prisons are pretty good. There are many repeat offenders who break the law on PURPOSE to get CAUGHT for the safety of jail. It also would not be the first time people have broken the law for healthcare. I will not detail the crime other than to say that it would not have been violent, but I have considered that WITH insurance.

13. Ishraqiyun

Ishraqiyun Fanning the Divine Spark

+144
    Single
    US-Others

Medical tourism is a growing trend worldwide and isn't limited to Canadians. An estimated 750,000 Americans did the same thing in 2008. Canada receives a good number of medical tourists as well. Americans have even gone to Cuba but that doesn't necessarily imply Cuba has better overall health care services. People with specific aliments shop around for the best buy in that one specific scenario.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism

14. Jeffwhosoever

+2,898
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    People need to listen more to such cases before they endorse single payer in the US. Sadly, many don't even read US news, much less international news.

15. HonestTruth

HonestTruth Member

+907
    Christian
    Single

Yeah, that's what's called partisan delusionalism. :wave:

16. MachZer0

MachZer0 Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    In fact, partisan delusion would be believing that Obama succeeding was good for America :wave:

17. jamesrwright3

jamesrwright3 Guest

+0
  18. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+7,162
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    The mandate, the pivotal part of Obamacare, was indeed a Republican proposal.

19. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,709
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    To make the argument that this is a Republican proposal is just more proof of how Democrats are indeed running away from Obamacare.

20. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+7,162
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    This was mentioned from day one.