Democratic hopefuls say eating less meat will help the climate.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is indeed correct to think the ridiculous is ridiculous.
Except it is not ridiculous. It might be ridiculous to think humanity would give up on meat, hmmm bacon:) where was I....

But breeding animals for food is massively inefficient, compared to grain and vegetables, time to cut out the middle man.

Now let me finish my bacon....

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the problems is that we've been lied to so much that we don't trust the scientific community. A few decades ago, fat in food was declared a major problem. Since low fat diets became common, obesity rates have soared. The food industry does not help. They promote low fat foods but try to hide the sugar content. "99.00 fat free!" Yes, but 99% sugar also. And on and on it goes. What will be the next diet advice reversal I wonder?

Or maybe the problem is people are falling for claims that have no scientific basis.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Or maybe the problem is people are falling for claims that have no scientific basis.
When it is scientists who are promoting bad science, they all have a credibility problem. We have a "National Heart Foundation" that is supposedly the fount of all knowledge when it comes to heart health, including diet. Except when they get it wrong. Remember when eggs were bad for you? Not any more. Coffee either will kill you or save your life, depending on which "expert" you believe. A friend of mine was told to cut out dairy products. He was not told how to avoid the calcium deficiency that resulted. His dentist was delighted. I agree that many people accept advice that is utterly unfounded and in some cases dangerous to health. I trust the Lord with my health advice. I also believe that we are all different and our metabolism are different. I have to have salt or I get cramps. Other people should avoid salt. There is no "one size fits all" with diet. I had a health issue. I was eating much less than usual as I thought it would resolve it. I ended up in hospital. I had low energy because I was anaemic. Nothing a decent steak could fix!

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Make up your mind Pete, is it Satan or God in charge here. Perhaps they are taking turns.
Satan is the god of the world system. That is because Adam handed his authority over to Satan in the Garden of Eden. 1 John 5:9 lays it out. The Kingdom of God is replacing Satan's rule. Christians are supposed to be Kingdom people. Christians have total authority over Satan. Satan is defeated totally. God has given the Church the job of enforcing that victory, won for us by the Lord Jesus, on Satan. One day, soon I hope, Satan will find himself in the bottomless pit. In the meantime, we are on a rescue mission. We should be preaching the gospel of the Kingdom, not just "invite Jesus into your heart so that you can go to heaven when you die".

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The amount of meat eaten has nothing to do with global warming. It has everything to do with what the livestock are fed. That's where changes can be made without being ridiculous and refusing all meat.

Nope. Resource wise, beef production is simply wasteful.

It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.

EarthSave - Food intervention programs to achieve health independence

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it your contention that if someone disagrees that a solution to the problems caused by a changing climate requires a radical reorganization of the world's economy and every individual's diet that it isn't because that person thinks it is not only too radical and that it will not actually solve the problem but it is only because that person doesn't care about anything?
No, I just assume many of us don't care about health and the effects of overconsumption because they don't appear to be taken very seriously in this country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On really large scales, probably not.

That’s a relief, especially since I am having a baloney sandwich right now and I was hoping it wouldn’t result in New Orleans being underwater.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The balance that we have to strike here, frankly, is about what government can and should do around creating incentives and then banning certain behaviors,” she said.

What behaviors should the government have the power to ban?

Eating meat?
Smoking?
Drinking alcohol (more deaths than guns)

What freedom is it ok to loose? What behavior can we legislate?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That’s a relief, especially since I am having a baloney sandwich right now and I was hoping it wouldn’t result in New Orleans being underwater.
Only if there's no cheese in it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Eating meat?
Smoking?

None of those should be banned but we should try to change public opinion on them.

I'm sure we can agree smoking and drinking bring a whole host of health and societal problems with them but it wasn't by banning them that we came to realize these things. One day, I think we'll largely look at red meat in a similar fashion.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Democrats have no policies to offer the American people
Well, none that are important to a large portion of the American people. Health and the environment being just two of those.

• Agree
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Eating meat?
Smoking?

Don't get too stressed out. One Harris' quote isn't the end of your baloney sandwich eating days.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I were to go vegan my methane footprint would increase drastically :swoon:
As per usual any discussion of the impacts of animal agriculture degrades into fart jokes.

I can't wait until this tactic wins out on the issue and moves on to poop jokes for those who have the temerity to take issue with waters contaminated by livestock manure lagoons.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Eating meat?
Smoking?

Who talked about "banning" everything?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
As per usual any discussion of the impacts of animal agriculture degrades into fart jokes.

I can't wait until this tactic wins out on the issue and moves on to poop jokes for those who have the temerity to take issue with waters contaminated by livestock manure lagoons.
Don't worry, nobody will remember this in a few decades when mankind is going extinct.

Time heals all wounds.

Upvote 0