Nick316

Apr 20, 2013
USA
✟7,791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens if you commit a sin even though you know it is wrong?

ie. Right now I'm not really supposed to be doing what I am doing, and I know it is wrong, but is it something that God will forgive me of?

Is having the mindset of "Oh, it doesn't matter, God will forgive me anyway" the right way to look at things?

Krillin

Yup
Apr 30, 2013
✟8,576.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is having the mindset of "Oh, it doesn't matter, God will forgive me anyway" the right way to look at things?

No, definitely not. However, that in itself is a sin of which God will forgive. On to the bigger point though...

God will forgive you, I promise. But you shouldn't expect to go un dealt with in some way. Look at the account of Cane and Able. God came to Cane and basically told him "Hey, buddy. I know what you are plotting. Please don't do this. I know you're jealous, but if you just do as I say you can't go wrong". Well, immediately after, Cane killed Able. To this, God (basically) said "What gives!? I just told you not to! You have killed your own brother and this cannot go unpunished. From now on you are doomed to walk the Earth. Anything you try to build up will fall and wither." Well at this point Cane was frightened and overwhelmed. He cried out to God. "God, I know I've done wrong. But this is unbearable. If someone finds out I did this, I will be killed." But then God gave him some comforting words. "Not so. If anyone tries to kill you, they will suffer vengeance 7 fold." And so God continued to protect Cane, and even made his punishment more bearable.

God means it when he says that his love is infinite. He is always willing to forgive. It is a good thing that you wish to make a change. What you need to do right now is realize exactly who it is your taking advantage of...

My prayers go out to you.

Upvote 0

PrayerandPeace

I Believe!
Feb 8, 2013
✟12,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think if you deliberately sin, it hurts Jesus.

Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins. There will be nothing to look forward to but the terrible expectation of God's judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies
Hebrews 10:26-27

Upvote 0

Eyesee

It's all about Jesus
Jun 14, 2012
North Texas
✟15,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What happens if you commit a sin even though you know it is wrong?

ie. Right now I'm not really supposed to be doing what I am doing, and I know it is wrong, but is it something that God will forgive me of?

The issue isn't whether God will forgive you or not; the more insidious issue is that your heart will become harder and harder until you are no longer able to respond to the conviction of the Holy Spirit; and that is a VERY bad place to be.

Presumptous sin is never ever a good idea. When you get to the place where you can sin and not care ... let's just say you don't want to ever be in that position.

Upvote 0

Krillin

Yup
Apr 30, 2013
✟8,576.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The issue isn't whether God will forgive you or not; the more insidious issue is that your heart will become harder and harder until you are no longer able to respond to the conviction of the Holy Spirit; and that is a VERY bad place to be.

Presumptous sin is never ever a good idea. When you get to the place where you can sin and not care ... let's just say you don't want to ever be in that position.

Let us also say that if you are a true Christian then you can't end up in that place.

Upvote 0

slanewog

Apr 23, 2013
Texas
✟15,124.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think if you deliberately sin, it hurts Jesus.

Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins. There will be nothing to look forward to but the terrible expectation of God's judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies
Hebrews 10:26-27

I personally do not believe this to be true. I was addicted to cigarettes and knew smoking was wrong, and I hated my sin, while my flesh enjoyed it. I'm happy to say I have not incurred God's judgment and raging fire that consumed me. Actually... God loved me through the process of Him delivering me from my addiction and I am happy to report I am still a non-smoker a year later. Your sin is no different. Focus on the goodness of God and less on your sins and you will obtian Victory over your flesh. March on Saint!!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is a hard question. Sin is by definition intentional. Doing something that you don't know is wrong isn't really a sin. I hate to say that God doesn't care, but this is what justification by faith is all about (or if you prefer, Jesus' emphasis on God as a father who doesn't give up on his children). A lot of people (including me) have chronic sins. Few of us are so inventive to sin differently each time. Eyesee is certainly right about the danger. But when Jesus talked about judgement, his examples all asked whether people had produced fruit, not whether they had sinned. I'm afraid we're going to have to be satisfied with continually improving in our obedience, and not giving up because we're not yet in the situation that we won't really each until we meet God face to face.

Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like this passage when I am struggling with existing/recurring sin in my life. I just read it today, for much the same reason.

1 John 1:8-10 "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us."

So what this tells me is that anyone who says they don't sin is a Liar, and that they are deceiving themselves, and the truth and His word is not in them. Let us assume that most of our sin as Bible reading christians is in fact, on purpose. That is, we know what is wrong and we do it.

Romas 7:19 "For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want."

So, this tells me that there are sins in my life that I know are wrong and I did anyways, and that God knows my unrighteousness and will forgive me.
Often these sins are the same ones over and over.

But to me, as I look back, I see that I have struggled with a sin for a season and turned to Him to help and heal me and forgive sanctify me, and the sin occurred less and less. Cussing for example. Used to be a huge problem. Now the Holy Spirit convicts me before I even speak.

I think that unrepentance, the total and absolute REFUSAL to stop a sin when we know better and not turning to God for strength and forgiveness in the hope that we will do better, is the only thing we need to really worry about.

But for believers, let us not forget what Jesus told his disciples the MODEL for forgiveness really is, a model He surely applies to us. I make the assumption that a believer in Christ would not be OK with sin in his life to the extent that he would not do what he could to stop it even if it takes him awhile.

Matthew 18:21-22 "Then Peter came and said to Him, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.'"

Last edited:
Upvote 0