Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Should we confess past sin we did in the past to people we have wronged or should we just confess it to God and not do it again if it doesn’t affect that person today ?
Question: Should we confess every sin to fellow Christians?

Answer: Not if the whole church is full of swine.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Should we confess past sin we did in the past to people we have wronged or should we just confess it to God and not do it again if it doesn’t affect that person today ?
If it will bless that person to hear about your repentance then do it. But if this is not information that will bless them - then it is just between you and God.

For example - If I say to someone "although I never said anything to you about it , there was a time ten years ago when I used to hate you" - I am not really blessing them.

But if I say "the person that took that chocolate cake out of your frig without telling you was me. I am sorry, please forgive me" then I am actually blessing them and doing the right thing.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I confess my sin of drug addiction and alcoholism on some threads. The key is to be able to recognize before you can confess. Confess to God for change and others for accountability.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you mean ?
Matthew 7:6-7

Your pearls are Holy, and this can be pearls of wisdom, pearls of what are parts of your testimony, anything really, including telling everyone about your own personal life, or secrets, or sins, etc, and in the churches there are sheep, and there are wolves, and there are swine, etc, best you get to know the difference before you say or share anything, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If it will bless that person to hear about your repentance then do it. But if this is not information that will bless them - then it is just between you and God.

For example - If I say to someone "although I never said anything to you about it , there was a time ten years ago when I used to hate you" - I am not really blessing them.

But if I say "the person that took that chocolate cake out of your frig without telling you was me. I am sorry, please forgive me" then I am actually blessing them and doing the right thing.
Is there scripture behind this

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If the sin is public, confession should be public. If someone is upset with us, we need to resolve the difference as soon a we are able. We do not wait for them to come to us. If the sin is not public, confess it to God.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is there scripture behind this
Matt 5:23 Therefore, if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there you remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.

Colossians 3:13 Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Eph 4: 27 and do not give the devil an opportunity. 28 The one who steals must no longer steal; but rather he must labor, producing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with the one who has need. 29 Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth, but if there is any good word for edification according to the need of the moment, say that, so that it will give grace to those who hear. 30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

1. only God can forgive sins

2. The other person is not granting you any relief from the lake of fire torment.

3. Asking them for forgiveness is for the purpose of blessing/benefiting them. Sine you wronged them - you owe them this gift.

If fail to forgive someone else - it only damages me - it does not damage the soul of the other person in this life or the life to come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My short answer is no. Let's look at the Scripture most used to support this doubtful practice:
"This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us" (1 John 1:5-10).

If we extract verse 9 from the passage, it might seem that we need to confess every sin, to God, a priest, or some other person. But we need to see the verse in context. The context deals with our fellowship with God, and that we are to walk in the light as He is in the light, and we have true fellowship with each other and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.

Now, look at verse 8. It says that if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. What this says to us is that if we don't acknowledge that we are sinners needing a Saviour, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If that is the case, we are not walking in the light, our sins are not cleansed by the blood of Jesus. In other words, we are not saved.

But here is verse 9: What this says is if we declare that we are sinners needing a Saviour, He forgives our sins and cleanses us from all unrighteousness. What this means is that if we declare to God that we are sinners, we have true fellowship with God and the blood of Jesus really does cleanse us from all sin. Then verse 10 follows this up by telling us that if we say we have not sinned, then we make God our to be a liar and His Word is not in us.

The context does not support the notion that we have to confess every sin to God or to anyone else. It is to acknowledge that we are sinners, and that the crucial step to salvation in Christ is to declare this before God. Then we are totally forgiven and cleansed from all unrighteousness, negating the need for any further confession of specific sins.

What this shows us is that we need to carefully consider the context of a verse before we try to apply it, otherwise we end up getting the wrong end of the stick and start believing and teaching false doctrine.

Also, the quest for some to achieve sinless perfection is a road to nowhere. We won't stop being sinners until the day we die. If a person thinks they have achieved sinless perfection and say that they are no longer sinning, they are effectively saying they have no sin, thereby deceiving themselves and the truth is no longer in them. They are making God out to be a liar.

We are not afraid to declare our sinfulness to God, because we have total trust in what Jesus did for us on the Cross, taking the full penalty for all our sin, and that His blood cleansed us from all unrighteousness, and He gave us His own pure righteousness as a free gift. But, as Paul says, "There is nothing good in me, that is, in my flesh". We always have struggles with the flesh, but our faults and failings in the flesh do not go right down to our hearts. This is explained by Paul where he says that in his heart he strongly desires to follow God's moral law, but in his flesh he ends up doing what he doesn't want to do, and fails to do what he should be doing. He resolves the issue by saying that the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has set him free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0