• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Deja Vu and Feelings of Impending Death...

wgjones3

\0/ Still praising God...
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟9,215.00
Faith
Christian
I hope this is the right forum for this. If it's not, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I know this is going to sound strange, but here goes...

For years, I've had recurring bouts of deja vu. Not that I believe in it, but there's so many times when something would happen and right away I could recall the memory of it as if it were a familiar, often recalled memory. This happens to me at least once a week, and I've never really thought enought about it to research it.

Well, tonight, it's been happening a lot. And I'm having (for lack of a better term) memories of a trip I'm going to take this weekend. And I have the sense that I'm going to die on the trip.

I'm not scared by this, but I don't believe it's meant for us to know the future. This isn't the first time I've had a feeling of impending death, but it is the most persistant, the most real to me.

If it is my time to go, I gladly accept it. I'm scrambling now to finish a novel I've spent 5 years writing and maybe the completion of a project that has consumed so much of my life is what's sparking these feelings. Maybe my mind feels that by closing this chapter of my life, I'm putting an end to something that has made me feel alive. I have to have the book finished by Wednesday and in the mail on Thursday. My trip is on Friday.

Now, before anybody asks, I'm not involved in any way with the occult, with new age, with drugs, or anything of the sort. I did suffer from disthymia but psychiatrist cleared me of treatment almost seven years ago. I'm just wondering if what I'm going through right now is a common psychological thing, or if I should call my shrink and make another apointment.

I guess more than anything I just needed to share this with somebody, and at 3 am, the Internet is as close as I can come to finding someone to talk to.

Anyway, please pray for me, and God bless.

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with sarahbug, I have dejavu all the time, but it only happens at the exact time I am experiencing something. However, I have a few times known a particular event was going to happen and it did. That doesn't happen very often, only maybe 4 of 5 times in my life. I also have been able to know when something bad is happening to a family member or close friend, but I can only tell when the actual event is happening, not before.
I'm praying for you!!!

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my mind, there's always the chance that God is trying to show you something, or that Satan is trying to deceive you. If so, either ask God to make it more clear, or order Satan to go away. I'd never suggest that Satan causes all bad feelings etc... but there have been a couple times in my life where I felt so inexplicably worthless and rebuking Satan lifted the feeling instantly.

If you are feeling generally depressed - either before of after these feelings, you could try to visit a psychologist. Especially if they are bothering you, talking to somebody who's seen it before could give you an idea of what you can do about it.

Lol... I find myself simply going on about nothing specific. A specific feeling that one is going to die soon is something I experienced very strongly when I was about 13 or 14 (sometimes I thought OTHER people would be dead too), but it went away when I realized that I DIDN'T die every time I felt it. For me it was just a phase.

I can't say what's going on in your world, but I KNOW that you can ask God for where to go with this feeling.

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
wgjones3 said:
I hope this is the right forum for this. If it's not, I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I know this is going to sound strange, but here goes...

For years, I've had recurring bouts of deja vu. Not that I believe in it, but there's so many times when something would happen and right away I could recall the memory of it as if it were a familiar, often recalled memory. This happens to me at least once a week, and I've never really thought enought about it to research it.

Well, tonight, it's been happening a lot. And I'm having (for lack of a better term) memories of a trip I'm going to take this weekend. And I have the sense that I'm going to die on the trip.
Talk to your doctor and ask if he'd consider Epilepsy or refer you to a Neurologist. Tell him exactly what you are telling us here on the forum. Deja vu and fear are common in "Temporal Lobe Epilepsy."

Epilepsy is very much a misunderstood condition in the general public. A person does not have to lose total consciousness (or even any sort of consciousness) to be experiencing a seizure.

Here are a couple links talking about Deja Vu and Epilepsy:
http://www.epilepsy.com/stories/ps_1066699536.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8149215&dopt=Abstract

Here are two threads on an Epilepsy Forum about Deja Vu (there are many threads on that forum on the topic, BTW):
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum33/HTML/015929.html
http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Forum33/HTML/015041.html

Upvote 0

Blissman

God is Truth- A. Einstein
Nov 29, 2003
IA, USA
Visit site
✟551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
DeJa Vu is common in everone's life. If it bothers you, you should see counseling. While everyone experiences DeJa Vu, a fear of impending death may mean that you fear what may happen in your life. I do not suggest that you see a Neurologist, nor believe that you have epilepsy. This is an important matter for a professional.

Upvote 0

wgjones3

\0/ Still praising God...
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟9,215.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I guess I made it sound worse than it is. The Deja Vu doesn't bother me in that it makes me nervous or anything, it just bugs me. It's annoying. It's like my mind takes bits and pieces of experiences I've already had and creates "new" memories. And then once I have a deja vu spell, I spend the next 10 minutes or so fixed on why it happened, trying to figure out if I really did something similar before or what. That's usually when this icky feeling comes out and I get the feeling that I'm going to die. I don't think God has anything to do with it, I think it's the same spiritual oppression that i've experienced before. I've been praying about it and I can't seem to shake it, but it's nothing that I would consider overwhelming. It's just gotten me to thinking about the what ifs a bit more than I should.

The whole thing about the trip, I was having "memories" of driving on these roads that I've been on a dozen or so times, listening to some CDs I just bought last weekend. Like my mind was taking memories of listening to those CDs from when I bought them and supplanting it into the memories of the last trip I took to the same place I'm going this weekend. Does that make sense?

Blissman, I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty sure I'm not epileptic, because back in '97 I had a problem with blacking out and I got every modern medical test that Blue Cross / Blue Sheild would pay for to determine what's wrong (turned out to be a blood pressure problem). But the thing about fear of what's ahead sounds right. I've been worried about the upcoming year, and I've really been worried that this manuscript I've spent 5 years working on is going to turn out to be a waste. I've really been feeling like a failure after going back to college as a junior at 25, when everyone I graduated high school with has already graduated and gotten good jobs, gotten married, and are basically adults, while i'm still in college, still trying to get this writing career off the launch pad, and still basically trying to grow up in a material sense. Dang, just writing all that out makes me feel a lot better. I really appreciate all the replies, concerns, and prayers.

I'm praying for traveling mercies for the trip. 5 1/2 hours each way. Should be fun.

Upvote 0

kenneth woods

Mar 29, 2021
Memphis
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I guess I made it sound worse than it is. The Deja Vu doesn't bother me in that it makes me nervous or anything, it just bugs me. It's annoying. It's like my mind takes bits and pieces of experiences I've already had and creates "new" memories. And then once I have a deja vu spell, I spend the next 10 minutes or so fixed on why it happened, trying to figure out if I really did something similar before or what. That's usually when this icky feeling comes out and I get the feeling that I'm going to die. I don't think God has anything to do with it, I think it's the same spiritual oppression that i've experienced before. I've been praying about it and I can't seem to shake it, but it's nothing that I would consider overwhelming. It's just gotten me to thinking about the what ifs a bit more than I should.

The whole thing about the trip, I was having "memories" of driving on these roads that I've been on a dozen or so times, listening to some CDs I just bought last weekend. Like my mind was taking memories of listening to those CDs from when I bought them and supplanting it into the memories of the last trip I took to the same place I'm going this weekend. Does that make sense?

Blissman, I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty sure I'm not epileptic, because back in '97 I had a problem with blacking out and I got every modern medical test that Blue Cross / Blue Sheild would pay for to determine what's wrong (turned out to be a blood pressure problem). But the thing about fear of what's ahead sounds right. I've been worried about the upcoming year, and I've really been worried that this manuscript I've spent 5 years working on is going to turn out to be a waste. I've really been feeling like a failure after going back to college as a junior at 25, when everyone I graduated high school with has already graduated and gotten good jobs, gotten married, and are basically adults, while i'm still in college, still trying to get this writing career off the launch pad, and still basically trying to grow up in a material sense. Dang, just writing all that out makes me feel a lot better. I really appreciate all the replies, concerns, and prayers.

I'm praying for traveling mercies for the trip. 5 1/2 hours each way. Should be fun.

How did you finally get over this feeling? i am currently experiencing the exact same thing right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm not scared by this, but I don't believe it's meant for us to know the future. This isn't the first time I've had a feeling of impending death, but it is the most persistant, the most real to me.

If it is my time to go, I gladly accept it. I'm scrambling now to finish a novel I've spent 5 years writing and maybe the completion of a project that has consumed so much of my life is what's sparking these feelings. Maybe my mind feels that by closing this chapter of my life, I'm putting an end to something that has made me feel alive. I have to have the book finished by Wednesday and in the mail on Thursday. My trip is on Friday.

Now, before anybody asks, I'm not involved in any way with the occult, with new age, with drugs, or anything of the sort. I did suffer from disthymia but psychiatrist cleared me of treatment almost seven years ago. I'm just wondering if what I'm going through right now is a common psychological thing, or if I should call my shrink and make another apointment.

I guess more than anything I just needed to share this with somebody, and at 3 am, the Internet is as close as I can come to finding someone to talk to.

Anyway, please pray for me, and God bless.
When a spirit falls on you when your not sleeping but awake welcome to deja vu.it's not a memory but a thought of a plan that succeeded.it's a plan that is associated with a thought, that you then expierience that you are meant to interpret as a memory.it's meant to deceive you that way where you associate yourself with the thought as if you know. This is how you are taught to divine, and you should ask God to Stop it, this is not verification of God's plan for your future. This is one of those things demons can do. Do not accept their lies and be cautious because it's not a memory but something they have planned.they also try to lead you into it by associating it with the concept of destiny. Be aware!

Kinda like when the fortune teller is actually a witch who is telling you what curse she's about to place on you and about how her demonic servant's are about to carry out her divination. You have a demonic problem or God is trying to get your attention however God doesn't generally tell people the future: what he's about to do to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
When a spirit falls on you when your not sleeping but awake welcome to deja vu.it's not a memory but a thought of a plan that succeeded.it's a plan that is associated with a thought, that you then expierience that you are meant to interpret as a memory.it's meant to deceive you that way where you associate yourself with the thought as if you know. This is how you are taught to divine, and you should ask God to Stop it, this is not verification of God's plan for your future. This is one of those things demons can do. Do not accept their lies and be cautious because it's not a memory but something they have planned.they also try to lead you into it by associating it with the concept of destiny. Be aware!

Kinda like when the fortune teller is actually a witch who is telling you what curse she's about to place on you and about how her demonic servant's are about to carry out her divination. You have a demonic problem or God is trying to get your attention however God doesn't generally tell people the future: what he's about to do to them.
Where is your evidence for this teaching. Biblical evidence

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What
Where is your evidence for this teaching. Biblical evidence
What evidence is there in The Bible about deja Vu and impending thoughts about death. How Could you ever possibly respond with a Biblical answer that isn't even a part nor found or spoken of in The Bible. It's common sense when The Bible says that when Jesus Christ'S Spirit falls on men they will have dreams and visions. If your awake and telling the future or having visions, it's only logical to consider that this is an incidence of a similar description happening while someone's wake who may or may not be Jesus. It's rationalizing what someone is talking about. I could be wrong, but at least it's an idea and I said to ignore it.

The Bible isn't an Encyclopedia on human expierience, it however makes statements that can be related to expieriences as The Basis for what You can understand.What Biblical answer do you have for him regarding deja Vu and impending thoughts of death? I have episodes of deja Vu, and because I had to go through a deliverance it's kinda life Expierience allowing for me to associate what The Bible says with a spirit that obviously can divine if it can tell the future and it's obviously a spiritual expierience or do all people tell the future?

last time I checked Peter rebuked a spirit of divination out of a young girl who could tell the future. I'm pretty sure she had deja vu often.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0