✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's not that hard.

"The Scriptures are and should remain the sole rule in the norming of all doctrine among us"

Yup, that's the definition.

Now, sure, people may do as the opening post requested and ADD why they think Scripture is the most sound rule for this practice... some may ADD their doctrine of Scripture but that doesn't change the definition.

Thank you.

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does it say?

What it doesn't say is of more value and it no where says use Scripture alone.

No. the fact of the matter is we recognize the supreme unmitigated immutable sovereignty of God, and realize he calls the shots. Our belief system has to line up with the standards he set. If I look some where other than the word of God than I am no longer looking at God. It is self explanatory.

Just come out and say: "I do not believe God can interpret scripture by only using his scripture to ordinary people. I believe some man needs to interpret scripture for God so people can understand it."

I believe that man can have an opinion of what some verse or set of verses mean and I believe that a council of the Church will settle the dispute just like in Scripture. I do understand that Sola Scripturaist do not believe such but that they interpret as they see fit blaming God for their faulty ways

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What it doesn't say is of more value and it no where says use Scripture alone.

*What the Bible doesn't say is of more value that what it does say.* What an interesting perspective. I am guessing, however, that if anyone were to mention that this is tantamount to claiming the Bible is incomplete, incompetent to accomplish its purpose, or unreliable, there will be impassioned denials coming back. Would that be correct?

In addition, you have now carved out a position for yourself that isn't based upon what the Bible teaches...and isn't based upon anything else in particular. That's also quite an interesting POV, to say the least.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was raised in the RCC, so I am well rehearsed in hearing redefinitions and equivocation... all accepted in stride with being on the pope's team.
Realize how pompous it would've been if you had used proper English to tell an adult "words have meaning".
Your clumsy iteration was entertaining. Thank you!

LOL!
Nice parse,... changing the meaning of SS from the subject (Sola Scriptura)!
But it is patently false to say "direct", when you know as well as I, the Magisterium is your middleman of choice.
Don't beat yourself up about tho,... I've been known to go to John Gill commentaries for insight.
Stop using abbreviations that can be interpreted differently, Rick.
I never claimed they do. I just claimed they have to agree with it.
Then you believe what Catholics believe, and all our doctrines do agree with Scripture.
Waiting for someone to prove otherwise.
Werdz haf meening. lol

Yes, sir!

Yes indeedy!

Yup.

Like I said, they don't have to be, they simply must agree with it.
But don't ask tad, because it has to be spelled out explicitly in his words, or he won't get it.:blush:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've requested that the thread be closed. I made the request because of repeated and persistent off topic posting.

Good idea, considering that the question of the thread was answered and settled before even the first dozen posts were written. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've requested that the thread be closed. I made the request because of repeated and persistent off topic posting.

Never understood this thought process. The Thread isn't going the way I want it, so even though there's alot of posting in it, and others have found it worthy of conversation, I'm going to, instead of leaving the conversation, go and have the conversation shut down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.