True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When defining God we don't need to define every aspect of him, just as with anything in the physical universe we only need to define a few aspects to distinguish them from other things. There is always a potentially infinite number of details beyond our grasp with anything we define. We might not even have enough senses to grasp details of things that could be unveiled if, say, you had more color receptors or senses entirely.

We must, must, must define God metaphorically, although some aspects of him might be understood literally, like "creator". Take note, though, that the vast majority of terms in English (and other languages too) are either metaphorical, or as literal terms had metaphorical beginnings. The point: there's nothing inferior at all about defining things metaphorically. With God it's absolutely required to define him metaphorically, given that he's a spiritual dude, and as such can't be seen. So how can be conceive of spirit? Maybe like the third dimension to the second dimension, even though God isn't arguably limited by the third dimension, just as the universe isn't obviously limited by the second.

So what of God and defining him? I contend that he's a creator of the physical universe, and as such transcends the physical universe, and this area of transcendence I call spirit, which I define as "unembodied personal power" (Willard). Because he created the physical universe, he must by definition be beyond time and space, analogous to how numbers are beyond time and space. He is an eternal spiritual being who created the universe, and also arguably upholds all of existence; were it not for God, this universe wouldn't have been created for one, but also could not even exist now after creation if he were to leave town for a vacation.

Please keep in mind that this is an attempt at a definition, and not a philosophical argument for him. That can be made elsewhere. The big question so far is, now that we get that God can be defined as an eternal spiritual creator-sustainer being, how do we get a picture of this in our minds? And the answer: we can't, not literally. So how do we get a picture of him in our minds metaphorically?

And here I think it's not really needed to get a picture of him "as a whole". To define God might mean to grasp a few of his qualities, like eternal creator, or sustainer, or whatever. But I think it's possible to get a picture of him, such as a sphere in relation to a plane (the universe), which captures the idea that he's beyond this universe while still relating to it. Actually, the most useful image I have for him is like some grand infinity that "surrounds" (note the quotes) the universe, which is a bit like an organism that's growing or expanding inside him (the universe as its continues its spatial and physical expansion). Which brings up a cool idea of God as a mother in that he enwombs the universe.

There are other images, of course, but those are my preferred ones. Thoughts?

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When defining God we don't need to define every aspect of him, just as with anything in the physical universe we only need to define a few aspects to distinguish them from other things. There is always a potentially infinite number of details beyond our grasp with anything we define. We might not even have enough senses to grasp details of things that could be unveiled if, say, you had more color receptors or senses entirely.

We must, must, must define God metaphorically, although some aspects of him might be understood literally, like "creator". Take note, though, that the vast majority of terms in English (and other languages too) are either metaphorical, or as literal terms had metaphorical beginnings. The point: there's nothing inferior at all about defining things metaphorically. With God it's absolutely required to define him metaphorically, given that he's a spiritual dude, and as such can't be seen. So how can be conceive of spirit? Maybe like the third dimension to the second dimension, even though God isn't arguably limited by the third dimension, just as the universe isn't obviously limited by the second.

So what of God and defining him? I contend that he's a creator of the physical universe, and as such transcends the physical universe, and this area of transcendence I call spirit, which I define as "unembodied personal power" (Willard). Because he created the physical universe, he must by definition be beyond time and space, analogous to how numbers are beyond time and space. He is an eternal spiritual being who created the universe, and also arguably upholds all of existence; were it not for God, this universe wouldn't have been created for one, but also could not even exist now after creation if he were to leave town for a vacation.

Please keep in mind that this is an attempt at a definition, and not a philosophical argument for him. That can be made elsewhere. The big question so far is, now that we get that God can be defined as an eternal spiritual creator-sustainer being, how do we get a picture of this in our minds? And the answer: we can't, not literally. So how do we get a picture of him in our minds metaphorically?

And here I think it's not really needed to get a picture of him "as a whole". To define God might mean to grasp a few of his qualities, like eternal creator, or sustainer, or whatever. But I think it's possible to get a picture of him, such as a sphere in relation to a plane (the universe), which captures the idea that he's beyond this universe while still relating to it. Actually, the most useful image I have for him is like some grand infinity that "surrounds" (note the quotes) the universe, which is a bit like an organism that's growing or expanding inside him (the universe as its continues its spatial and physical expansion). Which brings up a cool idea of God as a mother in that he enwombs the universe.

I define God as a floating abstraction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's a bit self-atheistically serving, don't you think? Can't we define something without implicitly holding to its truth or falsity?

Well, since atheists don't generally believe in gods, wouldn't it stand to reason that many of us would define god as imaginary?

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, since atheists don't generally believe in gods, wouldn't it stand to reason that many of us would define god as imaginary?

A definition can refer to something that's imaginary or real, so there's no point to go the extra step and make something imaginary intrinsic to a definition. With God, you're essentially biasing yourself against him, which can only make it harder to come around and see things more neutrally later on.

Upvote 0

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's a bit self-atheistically serving, don't you think? Can't we define something without implicitly holding to its truth or falsity?

You can define the concept of God any way you want to and each and every person has their own definition which should be a clue that gods are just what I said they are, floating abstractions.

Upvote 0

Received

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can define the concept of God any way you want to and each and every person has their own definition which should be a clue that gods are just what I said they are, floating abstractions.

So you don't think the quantum world exists?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
A definition can refer to something that's imaginary or real, so there's no point to go the extra step and make something imaginary intrinsic to a definition. With God, you're essentially biasing yourself against him, which can only make it harder to come around and see things more neutrally later on.

Against him, you have bias in favor of a specific sort of god by your religion. Bias is unavoidable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 27, 2014
✟16,481.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Engaged
Here's what I use: GOD before the beginning is a saturated ocean of substance, something like quark matter: An infinitely super conductive Fermi liquid billions of time hotter and denser that the atomic matter we and most every thing inside the universe is composed of.

I imagine it like an ocean of honey amber liquid gold that is transparent to consciousness and goes forever in all directions.

The Ocean of Bliss.

The Eternal Abode.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's what I use: GOD before the beginning is a saturated ocean of substance, something like quark matter: An infinitely super conductive Fermi liquid billions of time hotter and denser that the atomic matter we and most every thing inside the universe is composed of.

I imagine it like an ocean of honey amber liquid gold that is transparent to consciousness and goes forever in all directions.

The Ocean of Bliss.

The Eternal Abode.

So god to you is just the universe as a whole? How Buddhist of you.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2014
✟16,481.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Engaged
So god to you is just the universe as a whole? How Buddhist of you.

No. GOD The Infinite Saturate is the Eternal Living One before a beginning.

The beginning is when this Being expresses it's Self and creates infinite equal sized universes as a perfectly flat plane of void bubbles and the contractive wave front keeps creates planes as it travels downwards.

The Infinite GOD is still above and below the stack of planes of universe, squeezed into super-symmetric flow between all of them (The Word), and lofted as nested wave forms within a universe. One of those is God the Holy One/God the Son/Lord God, all same the same being. He is the personal expression (like a Man) of the Infinite one GOD outside the universe, as the individuated "finite" God within the universe. The soul that incarnated as Jesus.

The Infinite is not diminished in the creation (generation) of the infinite universes. Because the entire process is the over-unity reproductive act of The GOD.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. GOD The Infinite Saturate is the Eternal Living One before a beginning.

The beginning is when this Being expresses it's Self and creates infinite equal sized universes as a perfectly flat plane of void bubbles and the contractive wave front keeps creates planes as it travels downwards.

The Infinite GOD is still above and below the stack of planes of universe, squeezed into super-symmetric flow between all of them (The Word), and lofted as nested wave forms within a universe. One of those is God the Holy One/God the Son/Lord God, all same the same being. He is the personal expression (like a Man) of the Infinite one GOD outside the universe, as the individuated "finite" God within the universe. The soul that incarnated as Jesus.

The Infinite is not diminished in the creation (generation) of the infinite universes. Because the entire process is the over-unity reproductive act of The GOD.

So god poots out universes then? How very Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy of you

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Received,

I would think that in dealing with the Biblical God, 'less is more.' In other words, in dealing with the Jewish God, it is enough to simply identify G-d as the "I AM of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." The other parameters our human minds would like to define can be drawn easily enough--even though perhaps somewhat hazily--from the Scriptures.

Peace

Upvote 0