Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to try this again. Thanks go to serious for helping phrase the OP so it will fit within the forum guidelines.

Many denominations use a statement of faith or some sort of creed to determine who is and who is not a Christian. One of the most common of these is the Nicene Creed, but it is far from the only one. While each aspect of the creed can be shown to have been drawn from an interpretation of a section of scripture, what seems to be missing is specific scriptural support for the concepts that are presented as an essential aspect of Christianity. Is there any scriptural support for a specific selection of core beliefs, or specific interpretations of these verses, which define what is necessary for salvation as opposed to simply ancillary beliefs which are left open for the individual and various denominations to interpret?

:)

Reactions: cloudyday2

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to try this again. Thanks go to serious for helping phrase the OP so it will fit within the forum guidelines.

Many denominations use a statement of faith or some sort of creed to determine who is and who is not a Christian. One of the most common of these is the Nicene Creed, but it is far from the only one. While each aspect of the creed can be shown to have been drawn from an interpretation of a section of scripture, what seems to be missing is specific scriptural support for the concepts that are presented as an essential aspect of Christianity. Is there any scriptural support for a specific selection of core beliefs, or specific interpretations of these verses, which define what is necessary for salvation as opposed to simply ancillary beliefs which are left open for the individual and various denominations to interpret?

Most Christians aren't biblicists.

http://www.peteenns.com/what-biblicism-is-and-why-it-makes-baby-jesus-cry/

Neither are most Christians Bible-onlyists.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, according to Paul Mormons are Christians. Thank you, Paul. Your opinion is very important to me.

Paul doesn't mention Joseph Smith, or temple worship, or persons in the future who will make new discoveries about the Christian Covenant.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul doesn't mention Joseph Smith, or temple worship, or persons in the future who will make new discoveries about the Christian Covenant.
Paul didn't mention Trinity. So, it doesn't matter what Paul did NOT mention. According to the quote YOU provided Paul explains who Christian is. Mormons confess Christ with their mouth and with all their hearts believe that God raised Jesus from the dead.
I am happy that according to Paul I am Christian. and I agree with Paul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Paul's words are Spiritually inspired. They represent a complete revelation of salvation by Grace through Faith. Nothing can be added to that without contradicting Paul, who received his ministry from Jesus, Himself.

Therefore, you agree with Paul that Mormons are Christian?

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Therefore, you agree with Paul that Mormons are Christian?

Do you accept the Christian Covenant as presented by Paul as sufficient? I think Smith says he will be overseeing the entrance of folks into Heaven. I think he calls into question the biblical account.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Do you accept the Christian Covenant as presented by Paul as sufficient? I think Smith says he will be overseeing the entrance of folks into Heaven. I think he calls into question the biblical account.

Let's look directly at Paul's words (Romans 10):
9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: 10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be put to shame.
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek: for the same [Lord] is Lord of all, and is rich unto all that call upon him: 13 for, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I do confess and believe Jesus Christ: He is my Lord and Savior, without whom I am nothing. I call on His name daily for guidance, love, and thanks.

Does that make me a Christian?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I suppose you could argue in John 14:6 Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the life".

The "truth" is not a creed - it is a person? The "way" is not a route - it is to follow that person? The "life" is to open your eyes and awaken to see that person?

In Acts 10:34-43, Peter explains the gospel to Cornelius and his family as follows. I wonder if Mormons would agree with this version?
34 And Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, 35 but in every nation any one who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36 You know the word which he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace by Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all), 37 the word which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; how he went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39 And we are witnesses to all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree; 40 but God raised him on the third day and made him manifest; 41 not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that he is the one ordained by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness that every one who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+10:34-43&version=RSV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You've just contradicted yourself from your previous post. If being a Christian is defined exclusively by that quote from Romans and has nothing to do with religion--the things we do and believe--then you don't get to double back like this.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Folks, if you are interested in debating whether Mormons are Christians, then start your own thread. I am looking for Biblical support from those who would exclude any group from being classified as Christians. Or in other words, I want to discuss what the Bible actually states about who is and who is not a Christian, separating the actual statements from the interpretations of mortal men.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Since you have posted something of substance on the topic allow me to start with you. Can you point out where in these verses it specifically indicates that a person who confesses Jesus is a Christian? As far as I can tell it only discusses the matter of salvation. It does not define who is and who is not a Christian.

Upvote 0