Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Usual post of ignorance of English, plasma, etc.

The only one of us who is ignorant of the English language and physics in general is you. As much as you desperately wish to latch onto the term "vacuum" in Somov's title, his 'vacuum' is not empty like your ridiculous vacuum contraption. His so called "vacuum" contains two things/processes which your *empty vacuum* does not, specifically plasma in the form of two currents, and plasma particle movement as shown in his very clear diagram.

somov.jpg

This is another of your flat out lies. You refuse to quote the specific paper, page number and paragraph of any paper that does not include plasma and plasma particle acceleration. You simply handwave papers at us which *included* A) plasma and B) plasma particle acceleration and which ultimately called your understanding a "toy".

No, this is obviously *your* delusion, not mine. I'm well aware of the fact that it's physically impossible to express a non-zero rate of 'reconnection' without plasma, which is exactly the issue that falsifies your false claim that plasma is *optional*!

For over 6 years you've promised to mathematically demonstrate that plasma is optional in the process known as "magnetic reconnection", but you consistently run and hide from my request for the necessary math to demonstrate that false assertion because you cannot produce it, and you never will produce it.

You have a fantasy that you're an expert on MHD theory when you've already admitted years ago that you've never even read a whole textbook on the topic. Did you ever fix that problem? Where's your math formula to describe a non zero rate of reconnection your *empty vacuum* contraption?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Magnetic reconnection - Wikipedia

Magnetic reconnection is a physical process in highly conducting plasmas in which the magnetic topology is rearranged and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy, thermal energy, and particle acceleration.

RC, which part of "in highly conducting plasmas" don't you understand? Which part of "and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy" don't you understand?

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Magnetic flux in a vacuum is a process in an empty vacuum in which the magnetic topology is rearranged over time.

That's all your empty vacuum contraption is physically capable of doing RC - magnetic flux. You literally do not know the physical difference between ordinary magnetic flux in vacuum, and the transfer of magnetic field energy into plasma particle acceleration known as "magnetic reconnection". Psst: The physical difference between magnetic flux in an empty vacuum, and magnetic reconnection in a *non empty vacuum* is *plasma* and the transfer of field energy into charged particle acceleration.

Magnetic reconnection is a physical process in highly conducting plasmas in which the magnetic topology is rearranged and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy, thermal energy, and particle acceleration.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Usual posts of ignorance of English, plasma, etc.
Somov: 4.4.2 Reconnection in a Vacuum followed by 4.4.3 Reconnection in a Plasma.
15 March 2012 Michael: Why would a section called "4.4.2 Reconnection in vacuum" be followed by a section called "4.4.3 Reconnection in plasma"?

17 March 2012: PEER REVIEWED material that states plasma is OPTIONAL in MR

20 March 2012: Michael Mozina's delusion that a reconnection rate exists without plasma
20 March 2012 Michael: What is the Alfvén speed for a vacuum?

A point addressed in another thread:
9 March 2018 : A deeply ignorant demand for published papers that only cover MR in vacuum.
He is ignorant about what a scientific paper is :doh:!
Scientific papers contain new results. MR in vacuum is textbook physics covered in a few pages. No one who knows about scientific literature would to expect any published paper to only contain what is already in a textbook - that is the role of references. So we get papers that include MR in vacuum that are mostly about MR in plasma.

• Agree
Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

somov.jpg

RC, what don't you understand about Somov's *non empty* vacuum? It *includes* plasma in the form of two "currents", and plasma particle movement, and it's therefore perfectly congruent with WIKI's description of "magnetic reconnection".

Which of the highlighted parts don't you understand?

It wouldn't be so pathetic if I had not also disproved your bogus claims by pointing out that you don't even have a math formula to describe a non-zero rate of your supposed "magnetic reconnection" without any plasma particles to your name. As it stands, you're just demonstrating that you have *no clue* whatsoever about plasma physics. Did you *ever* actually read a textbook on this topic? Of course not, or you wouldn't be spewing utter nonsense.

As the first sentence of WIKI explains, magnetic reconnection only happens *in plasma* and it requires a transfer of magnetic field energy into particle acceleration which is why you're incapable of producing your missing math formula. Your *empty* vacuum isn't the same as Somov's non empty "vacuum". You can't hide from that fact.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Usual denial of English, textbook physics, the repeated idiocy of a Wikipedia article on MR in plasma (I am tempted to edit it to add a section on MR in vacuum!) and an over 6 years old and counting lie of plasma in an example that does not have plasma :doh:!
I have added text from Somov's section in MR in vacuum (the Google Books link is to his book with the entire section and the following one), the post where I pointed out there is no plasma over 6 years ago, and other literature on MR in vacuum.
Somov: 4.4.2 Reconnection in a Vacuum followed by 4.4.3 Reconnection in a Plasma.
Let us illustrate such a process by the simplest example of 2 parallel electric currents of equal magnitude I in vacuum as shown in Figure 4.17
Figure 4.17: The potential field of 2 parallel currents:
Reconnection in a vacuum is a real physical process: magnetic field lines move to the X-type neutral point and reconnect in it as well as
| the electric field is induced and can accelerate a charge particle or
| particles in the vicinity of the neutral point.
Somov's emphasis, my emphasis.

30 November 2011 Michael: A lie that Somov's 'Reconnection in a Vacuum' contains plasma.
15 March 2012 Michael: MR in a vacuum is mentioned in the scientific literature and a simple derivation from Maxwell's equations.
15 March 2012 Michael: Why would a section called "4.4.2 Reconnection in vacuum" be followed by a section called "4.4.3 Reconnection in plasma"?

20 March 2012: Michael Mozina's delusion that a reconnection rate exists without plasma

9 March 2018 : A deeply ignorant demand for published papers that only cover MR in vacuum.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Usual denial of English,

Yep, you're in denial of English and specifically the *currents* running through his non empty vacuum which *move* (are "drawn nearer") as a result of 'reconnection'. You keep trying to ignore the transfer of magnetic field energy in particle kinetic energy.

somov.jpg

RC, what don't you understand about Somov's *non empty* vacuum? It *includes* plasma in the form of two "currents", and plasma particle movement, and it's therefore perfectly congruent with WIKI's description of "magnetic reconnection".

Apparently your grasp of the English language fails you the moment you read "in highly conducting plasmas", and the moment you read "and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy". What do those bolded parts mean to you RC?

You also failed to acknowledge Somov's use of the English term *currents* (another English term you evidently don't understand) and the term "drawn nearer". ;)

Since you don't have any plasma in your *empty* vacuum contraption, nothing is drawing nearer and there is no possible way to convert field energy into particle acceleration, so you go into pure denial of those English terms and sentences.

textbook physics,

The textbook physics includes two very important things that you left out which make Somov's example consistent with WIKI, A) plasma in the form of current, and B) the transfer of field energy into particle acceleration as described by the term "drawn nearer". It's hard to imagine how you can be so utterly ignorant of basic English RC. How can you miss the phrase "in highly conducting plasmas" in that sentence?

the repeated idiocy of a Wikipedia article on MR in plasma (I am tempted to edit it to add a section on MR in vacuum!)

LOL! You already did that once at JREF to the magnetic field description during our conversation because I kept pointing out that magnetic lines have no beginning or ending, so you removed that part from WIKI! LOL! When you can win, you simply cheat.

and an over 6 years old and counting lie of plasma in an example that does not have plasma :doh:!

You're lying because Somov's vacuum is *not* empty like your vacuum. It contains two currents which are "drawn nearer", satisfying the WIKI definition of the process occurring in plasma and the transfer of field energy into particle acceleration. You however left out the plasma and the transfer of energy.

I have added text from Somov's section in MR in vacuum

Of course you did because you can't win without blatantly cheating. That's why you want to change the WIKI definition too. ;)

(the Google Books link is to his book with the entire section and the following one), the post where I pointed out there is no plasma over 6 years ago, and other literature on MR in vacuum.

You flat out lied because 4.2.2 isn't an "empty" vacuum. It's got current and therefore plasma, and plasma particle displacement as the currents "draw nearer". You better erase the diagram in 4.2.2 and just make it a blank diagram too. :)

When might I see your missing math formula to express a non-zero rate of "reconnection' without plasma or plasma particle movement? What's it been now, 7 years?

I'll never see it, and we both know it.

You literally cannot tell the physical difference between ordinary magnetic flux in a vacuum, and the process in *plasma* known as "magnetic reconnection" where field energy is converted in to particle acceleration.

But you go ahead and put words in Somov's mouth that he didn't say, just like you put words in Scott's mouth that he didn't say (no neutrinos), and you put words in my mouth that I didn't say because that's what you do: you cheat.

I love how you want to rewrite the WIKI page only because it blows your claims out of the water. :) That's hysterical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
16 March 2018: A delusion that I edited the MR in plasma article when I have never edited any Wikipedia article.
The history page does not have my user name (I consistently use RealityCheck or a variant as a user name, e.g. see the ISF posts). The history page does not have the word vacuum on it.

16 March 2018: A lie that I put "words in Somov's mouth" when Michael is the one doing that (no plasma in his example of MR in vacuum).
I quote exactly what Somov wrote in his textbook as below.

16 March 2018: An irrelevant lie that I said that Scott said there are no neutrinos from the Sun.
I have pointed out elsewhere that Scott still has a web page with the idiocy that the solar neutrino problem has not been solved. The solar neutrino problem was that a third of the expected neutrino flux was detected before all of them were detected in 2002. There is an endorsement by Scott of an 2016 EU guide that stupidly states that stars are not fusion powered. Scott in his book on page 106 (quoted by Michael) states that solar neutrinos come from z-pinches in the photosphere. This is neutrinos from an impossible location because we are not fried by the accompanying gamma rays.

ETA: Almost irrelevant but Michael is citing Scott who writes lies about astronomy. Read this 2008 blog article
In order to calculate "absolute luminosity" (an estimation of the quantity of light originally emitted from a star or galaxy), astronomers must make calculations from the "apparent luminosity" based upon assumed distance to the source
(the italics are in the article).
The cosmic distance ladder is the application of geometry and physics to measure the distances to stars and galaxies.

The usual denial of the real world so here is the real world physics for others.
Let us illustrate such a process by the simplest example of 2 parallel electric currents of equal magnitude I in vacuum as shown in Figure 4.17
Figure 4.17: The potential field of 2 parallel currents:
Reconnection in a vacuum is a real physical process: magnetic field lines move to the X-type neutral point and reconnect in it as well as
| the electric field is induced and can accelerate a charge particle or
| particles in the vicinity of the neutral point.
Somov's emphasis, my emphasis.

30 November 2011 Michael: A lie that Somov's 'Reconnection in a Vacuum' contains plasma.
15 March 2012 Michael: MR in a vacuum is mentioned in the scientific literature and a simple derivation from Maxwell's equations.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
16 March 2018: A delusion that I edited the MR in plasma article when I have never edited any Wikipedia article.
The history page does not have my user name (I consistently use RealityCheck or a variant as a user name, e.g. see the ISF posts). The history page does not have the word vacuum on it.
Last I read, (TB), Michael had the delusion that you were, in fact, Brian Koberlein!
:eek: .. o_O ... :confused: ... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

If it wasn't you, it was one of your other JREF buddies. All I know that is someone involved in that MR conversation edited the WIKI page on magnetism to remove the paragraph that explained that magnetic lines have no beginning and no ending because I kept putting it in their face. If it wasn't you, it was someone who had a vested interest in that conversation.

The fact you'd even *consider* attempting to edit a WIKI page however to attempt to improve your position says volumes.

16 March 2018: A lie that I put "words in Somov's mouth" when Michael is the one doing that (no plasma in his example of MR in vacuum).
I quote exactly what Somov wrote in his textbook as below.

Oh boloney. At one point you were claiming those were "wires" rather than *plasma currents* in his example I had to point out that wires wouldn't move and the book is a book on *plasma* physics.

16 March 2018: An irrelevant lie that I said that Scott said there are no neutrinos from the Sun.

You blamed Findlay, and put false claims in his mouth, but the article in question used two other books as references, including one by Thornhill and by Scott:

Lambda-CDM - Pure Confirmation Bias Run Amuck

22 June 2016 Michael: Findlay states in his introduction to EU theory book that stars are not "nuclear fusion-powered" (his phrase!). Thus no neutrinos.

I have pointed out elsewhere that Scott still has a web page with the idiocy that the solar neutrino problem has not been solved.

You've *still* never specifically demonstrated that an electron neutrino beam generates excess muon or tau neutrinos, although muon beams have been shown to result in excess electron neutrinos.

The solar neutrino problem was that a third of the expected neutrino flux was detected before all of them were detected in 2002. There is an endorsement by Scott of an 2016 EU guide that stupidly states that stars are not fusion powered. Scott in his book on page 106 (quoted by Michael) states that solar neutrinos come from z-pinches in the photosphere. This is neutrinos from an impossible location because we are not fried by the accompanying gamma rays.

That's another example of your endless stream of false statements and false assertions because the solar atmosphere very efficiently absorbs higher energy wavelengths.

Solar Moss With Yohkoh Overlay
mossyohkoh.jpg

Those higher energy yellow wavelengths by Yohkoh are absorbed in the lower atmosphere whereas the lower energy blue wavelengths are visible at deeper depths. You just make up your nonsense as you go.

ETA: Almost irrelevant but Michael is citing Scott who writes lies about astronomy.

You're the last person on the entire planet who should be complaining about other people not telling the truth. You almost *never* tell the truth when it comes to EU/PC topics. You've misrepresented my statements more times than I can count, including your whole list of gish-gallop nonsense in the solar model thread. You *continue* to misrepresent Somov's diagram and his statements.

It's a *blatant* lie that his diagram and his vacuum is does *not* contain plasma.

somov.jpg

Unlike your *empty* vacuum, his vacuum is *not* empty, it has two currents of *plasma* that move closer as a result of "reconnection', thus satisfying the WIKI explanation, whereas you don't have a single plasma particle to your name, and you have no way to transfer field energy into particle acceleration as is the case with Somov's example.

Your such an epic liar.

No *empty* vacuum involving "reconnection" is mentioned in scientific literature, and you're still missing your formula for a non-zero rate of "reconnection" for more than *six years*! Where is it?

It's been answered dozens of times already, just like all of your repetitious nonsense. One example is *simplified* down to the *minimum* amount of plasma necessary (only two currents), and the next section is more indicative of real plasma conditions.

Another flat out lie devoid of any *specific* page number or paragraph. Priest called your claim a "toy' and explained the "real" process requires plasma. You flat out buried your head in the sand when I pointed that out to you.

Projection at it's finest. I know full well that it's impossible to get reconnection without plasma particle acceleration but you claimed you could. Where's your missing math to demonstrate you can get reconnection in an *empty* vacuum?

Translation: Nothing ever published supports your bogus claim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
If it wasn't you, it was one of your other JREF buddies. ...
21 March 2018: A bit of paranoia about maybe imaginary Wikipedia edits.
Magnetic reconnection: Revision history (the word line appears once in "remove blank line!). Editing an article to be more correct is common in Wikipedia and not only done by JREF members.

For others:
The statement "magnetic lines have no beginning and no ending" is not correct and if it was in the article was rightfully removed. Magnetic field lines are defined as maps of the lines of equal force on a charged test particle in a magnetic field. A null point is a point in a magnetic field where B = 0 and the force on that test particle is zero. Every point around the null point has B > 0 and a non-zero force on a test particle. It is impossible to draw a line with only one point! Thus any magnetic field line that crosses a null point cannot exist at the null point. This is the magnetic field line "breaking" at the null point and reconnecting on the other side.

It is easy to create a magnetic field with a null point and change it so that field lines sweep over the null point. That is Somov's example of magnetic reconnection in vacuum, fully available on Google books. Note that he talks about magnetic flux reconnection which avoids any confusion about field lines. On the other hand, there is Magnetic reconnection
The qualitative description of the reconnection process is such that magnetic field lines from different magnetic domains (defined by the field line connectivity) are spliced to one another, changing their patterns of connectivity with respect to the sources.
Personally (and I emphasize personally), I am uncomfortable with the name "magnetic reconnection" because I dislike the concept of being able to label a magnetic field line and following it as it moves. The process physically happens in vacuum, air (MR can be demonstrated with two bar magnets!) and plasma (maybe liquids and solids too). IMO "magnetic merging" would be a better term but have not got a time machine to go back to the 1950's and persuade people to change the name :D!

21 March 2018: A "At one point you were claiming those were "wires"" lie.
A rational physical replacement for the general currents in vacuum for Somov's example of magnetic reconnection in vacuum is obviously wires :doh:! That allows the equal currents to be in 2 parallel wires surrounded by vacuum.

An obviously irrational, non-physical replacement is plasma. Plasma does not have any currents flowing through it (the example has 2 parallel, equal currents). A volume containing plasma is not a vacuum :doh: !

9 March 2018 : A deeply ignorant demand for published papers that only cover MR in vacuum
16 March 2018: A fantasy that I edited the MR in plasma article when I have never edited any Wikipedia article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
21 March 2018: A bit of paranoia about maybe imaginary Wikipedia edits.

Imaginary my eye!

International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - [Merged] Electric Sun Theory (Split from: CME's, active regions and high energy flares)

B-field lines never end

Main article: Gauss's law for magnetism

Field lines are a useful way to represent any vector field and often reveal sophisticated properties of fields quite simply. One important property of the B-field revealed this way is that magnetic B field lines neither start nor end (mathematically, B is a solenoidal vector field); a field line either extends to infinity or wraps around to form a closed curve.[nb 8] To date no exception to this rule has been found. (See magnetic monopole below.)

Within a month after that post, you folks changed it.

International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - [Merged] Electric Sun Theory (Split from: CME's, active regions and high energy flares)

Magnetic reconnection: Revision history (the word line appears once in "remove blank line!). Editing an article to be more correct is common in Wikipedia and not only done by JREF members.

They blatantly changed it because it falsified their claim, and they didn't like it. :)

For others:
The statement "magnetic lines have no beginning and no ending" is not correct and if it was in the article was rightfully removed. Magnetic field lines are defined as maps of the lines of equal force on a charged test particle in a magnetic field. A null point is a point in a magnetic field where B = 0 and the force on that test particle is zero. Every point around the null point has B > 0 and a non-zero force on a test particle. It is impossible to draw a line with only one point! Thus any magnetic field line that crosses a null point cannot exist at the null point. This is the magnetic field line "breaking" at the null point and reconnecting on the other side.

Horse pucky:

Magnetism and Magnetic Fields | Boundless Physics

4. Magnetic field lines are continuous, forming closed loops without beginning or end. They go from the north pole to the south pole.

Magnetic fields have no source, no sink, no beginning and no ending. The so called "lines" aren't real, they just describe the 3D topology of a 3D field. They're like topology lines on a topology map to denote the topology of the field.

It is easy to create a magnetic field with a null point and change it so that field lines sweep over the null point.

A "null' point is simply an area that has a zero field strength.

That is Somov's example of magnetic reconnection in vacuum, fully available on Google books. Note that he talks about magnetic flux reconnection which avoids any confusion about field lines. On the other hand, there is Magnetic reconnection
It's also not an *empty* vacuum, it's got two plasma currents running through it, and they *move* during the reconnection process.

Personally (and I emphasize personally), I am uncomfortable with the name "magnetic reconnection" because I dislike the concept of being able to label a magnetic field line and following it as it moves. The process physically happens in vacuum, air (MR can be demonstrated with two bar magnets!) and plasma (maybe liquids and solids too).

That already has a valid scientific term related to solid state physics. It's called 'magnetic flux". It has nothing to do with magnetic lines breaking, beginning or ending.

IMO "magnetic merging" would be a better term but have not got a time machine to go back to the 1950's and persuade people to change the name :D!

Nah. If they had called it 'circuit reconnection" even you couldn't have messed it up. :)

21 March 2018: A "At one point you were claiming those were "wires"" lie.
A rational physical replacement for the general currents in vacuum for Somov's example of magnetic reconnection in vacuum is obviously wires :doh:! That allows the equal currents to be in 2 parallel wires surrounded by vacuum.

No, that's an *irrational* change in a book about plasma and the plasma currents *moved* which wires would not do.

An obviously irrational, non-physical replacement is plasma.

False. The whole *book* is about plasma. :) The plasma also *moves* during the process, unlike wires.

Plasma does not have any currents flowing through it

Somov's non empty vacuum has two *plasma* currents running through it, and they move.

(the example has 2 parallel, equal currents). A volume containing plasma is not a vacuum :doh: !

His vacuum isn't empty in the first place RC.

You have no papers that support your claim, and no non zero rate math formula to support your bogus claim either.

somov.jpg

Somov's so called 'vacuum" is in fact not an "empty' vacuum in the first place, it has two *currents* of plasma that *move* during the reconnection process, thus satisfying the WIKI definition of 'magnetic reconnection".

Magnetic reconnection is a physical process in highly conducting plasmas in which the magnetic topology is rearranged and magnetic energy is converted to kinetic energy, thermal energy, and particle acceleration. Magnetic reconnection occurs on timescales intermediate between slow resistive diffusion of the magnetic field and fast Alfvénic timescales.

What don't you understand about *in highly conducting plasmas* and the conversion of magnetic field energy into particle kinetic energy RC? You don't have a charged particle to your name, and you therefore have no way to transfer field energy into particle acceleration, so you cannot possibly get "magnetic reconnection" in the first place. You literally do not know the difference between the terms "magnetic flux in a vacuum" and "magnetic reconnection".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Imaginary my eye!...
5 April 2018: A lie of evidence for ISF posters ("you folks") editing a Wikipedia page.
International Skeptics Forum - View Single Post - [Merged] Electric Sun Theory (Split from: CME's, active regions and high energy flares) is the same unsupported bit of paranoia back on 21 November 2011 with a link to the Magnetic field article. The article has 1000's of edits. It looks like an obviously incorrect "B-field lines never end" section was removed in September 2011.

The statement "magnetic lines have no beginning and no ending" is not correct and if it was in the article was rightfully removed (by definition they end and begin when they cross null points).

Paranoia shows in assuming that an anonymous author is "you folks" at ISF.
21 March 2018: A bit of paranoia about maybe imaginary physically valid Wikipedia edits.

Followed by the usual lies about Somov's reconnection in vacuum section.
9 March 2018 : A deeply ignorant demand for published papers that only cover MR in vacuum
16 March 2018: A fantasy that I edited the MR in plasma article when I have never edited any Wikipedia article.

Upvote 0