Dealing with Climate Change---Not Only Good Ethics, But Good Business

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Do you agree that the market is not infallible and need government intervention in order for it to stay course?
That’s not relevant to this discussion, from my point of view.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That’s not relevant to this discussion, from my point of view.

Dude, we're 6 pages into this thread. In the interest of fostering a real discussion, how about giving a response that's more than a sentence or two?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dude, we're 6 pages into this thread. In the interest of fostering a real discussion, how about giving a response that's more than a sentence or two?

2-word answer in 5...4...3...

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And what is this?

Or this?
You said “
The can't care if they're not informed... and the money the businesses spend to keep the public misinformed is small change compared to what they'd lose if the public knew enough to care.”

Yet, you seem to know so much. So I wanted to know if you were part of this uniformed crowd, which you introduced into the convo.

But if that’s too personal for you, how about this. How many uninformed people are out there? And if there’s all these caring, yet uninformed people out there, how do you suppose that folks like you are so informed?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Some folks are intimidated by brevity. Not my problem.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How many uninformed people are out there? And if there’s all these caring, yet uninformed people out there, how do you suppose that folks like you are so informed?

You're asking why some people are informed, but other aren't?

Being informed is only a small part of the equation -- being organized can be far more effective... sometimes in spite of information. Indeed -- an ignorant but organized group can accomplish far more than disorganized people who happen to be in the know... regardless of numbers. Exhibit A: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

...but I digress.

My point is that those in power go to great lengths (great by our plebeian standards, but pocket change compared to the cost of actually going green) to keep people not only uninformed, but disorganized.

There's also the issue of costs to the consumer... the company that goes green sells its product for 25% more than then one that dumps. Many people would like to make a stand on principle, but principle doesn't put food on the table, does it?

By way of analogy, back in the days of all the anti-Wal-Mart hysteria, there were people naive enough to suggest boycotting the superstore. A pipe dream, for the simple reason that the people who could hurt Wal-Mart the most with a boycott are precisely the ones who couldn't afford to boycott it.

But I digress again... I have no issue with Wal-Mart, although I'm more of a Target man, myself.

Are you starting to see the point?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You're an admin. I would've thought that fostering thoughtful discussion would've been part of the job.
You took it off topic and tried to goad me. I gave an opinion on your post.

Time to move on.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You're asking why some people are informed, but other aren't?

Being informed is only a small part of the equation -- being organized can be far more effective... sometimes in spite of information. Indeed -- an ignorant but organized group can accomplish far more than disorganized people who happen to be in the know... regardless of numbers. Exhibit A: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

...but I digress.

My point is that those in power go to great lengths (great by our plebeian standards, but pocket change compared to the cost of actually going green) to keep people not only uninformed, but disorganized.

There's also the issue of costs to the consumer... the company that goes green sells its product for 25% more than then one that dumps. Many people would like to make a stand on principle, but principle doesn't put food on the table, does it?

By way of analogy, back in the days of all the anti-Wal-Mart hysteria, there were people naive enough to suggest boycotting the superstore. A pipe dream, for the simple reason that the people who could hurt Wal-Mart the most with a boycott are precisely the ones who couldn't afford to boycott it.

But I digress again... I have no issue with Wal-Mart, although I'm more of a Target man, myself.

Are you starting to see the point?
I see the point. And not to make it personal, but you seem to be informed despite the great lengths that some business obviously go through to keep people uninformed.

So maybe you can share how you’ve come to be so informed when obviously the majority of the country is not.

Reactions: elliott95
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I admire your optimism. I gave up a while back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.