Dealing with Climate Change---Not Only Good Ethics, But Good Business

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
People are resilient and resourceful.
You mean that people are cutt-throats who'd do anything to help themselves and their friends and relatives survive and thrive.

Sure, some people will survive, and propably even thrive during the destruction. For a time.

Earth has been around for billions of years. We've been around for a few millenia. It is patient. Our so-called resilence and resourcefullness won't broaden the thin sheet of plastic and radioactive isotopes that will be our legacy by more than a few nanometers.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just keep telling yourself that...as the hurricanes and the wildfires become more severe with each passing year.....
LOL. "Humans Make Hurricanes Worse"
Good lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because your post doesn't make any sense. Pollution ( of which agw is a form) is a textbook case of an externality, which is a distortion of a market, not something for which the market can compensate.

Your suggestion that the market should take care of it would suggest that you didn't understand that.... unless I'm misunderstanding your initial comment.
That you don’t think that the market can take care of it means that you don’t understand the market.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That you don’t think that the market can take care of it means that you don’t the market.

You dropped a word, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but I can't come up with any word to insert in there that would make it correct.

How do you propose that the market is supposed to correct for a distortion of the market? What do you think an externality is?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You dropped a word, so I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say, but I can't come up with any word to insert in there that would make it correct.

How do you propose that the market is supposed to correct for a distortion of the market? What do you think an externality is?
Fixed it.

My suggestion is that if it’s a problem, which it isn’t, the market will take care of it. If a company starts “going green”, and they make more money than their competitors, the competitors will also “go green”.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fixed it.

My suggestion is that if it’s a problem, which it isn’t, the market will take care of it. If a company starts “going green”, and they make more money than their competitors, the competitors will also “go green”.

Ok.

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I realize the OP was about the profitability of "going green". I'm talking about "going green" in general and how the market may or may not solve for that.

How does the market solve for the externalities of pollution?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If private businesses find it to be good business, then that’s good. Let the market dictate.

Ah, the old "let the corporation dump 50 tons of toxic sludge in the local water supply...don't worry, the market will correct for it" mentality.

The reality is "private business" can't always be trusted to act ethically, and the mere notion that "there's someone out there that can compete against them" isn't an adequate safeguard against potentially sweeping negative effects.

While I do lean libertarian on most issues, one must keep in mind, the idea is "minimum government in order to protect our rights to life liberty and property", not some sort of economic thunderdome in which business can make their own rules that could potentially endanger millions of people.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ah, the old "let the corporation dump 50 tons of toxic sludge in the local water supply...don't worry, the market will correct for it" mentality.

The reality is "private business" can't always be trusted to act ethically, and the mere notion that "there's someone out there that can compete against them" isn't an adequate safeguard against potentially sweeping negative effects.

While I do lean libertarian on most issues, one must keep in mind, the idea is "minimum government in order to protect our rights to life liberty and property", not some sort of economic thunderdome in which business can make their own rules that could potentially endanger millions of people.
So what you're saying is that libertarianism needs to get beyond thunderdome?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
People are resilient and resourceful. There are many things that we can do to enhance the environments we live in. Just like we can protect against earthquakes, there are building codes and zoning laws that can be put into place to protect people and property from vulnerable areas.
Laughing at destruction is inhumane, and is the result of people living a hellish existence where hope is no longer part of their lexicon.

There are regulations -- Donald's been erasing them.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok.

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I realize the OP was about the profitability of "going green". I'm talking about "going green" in general and how the market may or may not solve for that.

How does the market solve for the externalities of pollution?
See previous post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So Hammster, are you suggesting we get rid of the subsidies for oil and coal we've been shelling out for decades?
I’ve not suggested anything.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I’ve not suggested anything.

Suppose "going green" isn't about making money, but about a long-term investment in the health and general welfare of the people? Not much profit in that, is there?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Suppose "going green" isn't about making money, but about a long-term investment in the health and general welfare of the people? Not much profit in that, is there?
Do you understand why companies are in business?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do you understand why companies are in business?

To make money.

Going green costs money. Recycling can be expensive; dumping is cheap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
To make money.

Going green costs money. Recycling can be expensive; dumping is cheap.
It's so much cheaper that corporations spend big money in lobbying to be allowed to continue dumping.

Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You mean that people are cutt-throats who'd do anything to help themselves and their friends and relatives survive and thrive.
Evil exists in humanity. It does not define all that we are and all that we do.

Sure, some people will survive, and probably even thrive during the destruction. For a time.
Okay.

Earth has been around for billions of years. We've been around for a few millenia. It is patient. Our so-called resilence and resourcefullness won't broaden the thin sheet of plastic and radioactive isotopes that will be our legacy by more than a few nanometers.
Well, I think the earth being reduced to a thin sheet of plastic and radioactive isotopes goes beyond the scope of global warming.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It's so much cheaper that corporations spend big money in lobbying to be allowed to continue dumping.
The dumping problem is supposed to be monitored by the EPA, but the EPA is not doing their job. It is just a billion dollar industry that does more for the Democratic Party than for the environment.

It is a bloated bureaucracy that needs to be deflated, and brought back to what it was set up for in the first place, monitoring dumping, which it does little of now.
Fifty employees could do that easily.

• Agree
Reactions: elliott95
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The dumping problem is supposed to be monitored by the EPA, but the EPA is not doing their job. It is just a billion dollar industry that does more for the Democratic Party than for the environment.

Which party runs EPA?

It is a bloated bureaucracy that needs to be deflated, and brought back to what it was set up for in the first place, monitoring dumping, which it does little of now.
Fifty employees could do that easily.

Or not... which will serve EPA just fine.

EPA chief Pruitt met with many corporate execs. Then he made decisions in their favor.

Upvote 0