PA
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
My husband’s father has had to move into an in-law apartment in our basement. He has Type 2 diabetes and financial issues. My biggest issue is that he is of sound mind but he doesn’t listen to what doctors and I tell him. He is continually eating sugar and when I try to talk with him about it or make a comment he tells me that his doctor said it’s ok for a treat every once in a while. He has even told me “if you’d take the time to do the research you’d understand.” I had gestational diabetes with my daughter that I controlled with diet, so I do understand. Either I continue to argue with him which makes everyone in the house miserable. Or I let him eat sugar and keep my mouth shut, but then I feel like I’m being a bad Christian that I’m allowing him to eat himself to death. He also is supposed to use a CPAP machine but continually makes excuses as to why he won’t. Same issue. What are your thoughts?

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I am from Australia so I don't know if you have this sort of thing in the US but are there any community health centres, hospitals etc that run courses for diabetics?
My mother and I went to one ( she had diabetes) and it was invaluable.
Could his doctor advise you?

Some people are more likely to take notice of an outsider advising them, for some reason.

Another couple of things he must be very aware of is foot care, so they need checking at least six monthly.
The other is regular eye tests.

I was fortunate that my mothers diabetes was managed, although I had to test her and I made sure of her diet etc, but she did try.

The other side of the coin is this: I have a friend who is diabetic who ate whatever she wanted who two years ago lost two toes.
Last September she literally lost her eyesight and has < 5% sight.She had been diagnosed blind and is awaiting a guide dog.

I don't want to scare you, but he needs to take it seriously, could his doctor or a nurse talk to him?
I will pray that he does as he is required to.

Upvote 0