• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Kawliga

Aug 16, 2006
Elba, Alabama
✟8,140.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Glad you are doing well with this. I smoked over my Thanksgiving break, and quit when I got back home. My smoking friends had invited me over for dinner and lots of drinking. I didn't wan't to go, but what was I to tell them? So anyways, it's been a few days since I've smoked. Today I was pulling out of the bank and was about to go into the gas station and get some cigarettes. I looked to the right to check for traffic and a lisence plate on the front of a van said "Jesus". It changed my mind and I passed up the gas station and went straight home. Coincidence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreedomByGrace

Jan 26, 2007
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

I read your posts with great delight. How are you all doing in your quitting smoking? God has placed it in my heart the desire to quit, and I really want to find support. I can't do this, but God can, and that's the only thing I can think of right now. Please pray for me and let me know how you are all doing?

Terri:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello FreedomByGrace, I guess the topic starter abandoned the thread. It has been about 91 days for me now, all I can realistically say is that it truely does get a little easier every day.
Lord willing I will never smoke again.

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! Well I'm with you guys. My story. Started smoking at around 15-16 but didn't smoke much then. Always kept it on average about 10 a day. Quit twice during pg and nursing period but went back (stupid I know!). It was easier to quit when pg though, you HAD to kwim? My kids are now 6 and 7 1/2 and I'm 32, so this is over 15yrs of smoking.

This time I made up my mind to quit and the Dr gave me wellbutrin, so I've been on it about 1 1/2months but still hadn't been able to quit. My company signed us up w'a smoking cessation program so I was ready for my quit date in Jan (which of course didn't happen lol). By this point though w/the wellbutrin my cravings were dramatically decreasing so I had gone back down to 2-4 a day and it wasn't that hard.

Came tuesday, I started feeling really sick so I didn't smoke, by Wed realized I have the flu, sick/bed/call work, no smoking, Thursday, a bit better but still sick and now i have laryngitis really bad, so the virus is making it's rounds, next it'll be bronchitis (as it usually does several times a year). So, this is day 4. Remember that even when sick before it didn't stop me from at least one or 1/2 one a day, this was a first. SO I decided to make my quit day tuesday. Today, my throat is a mess, can't speak even but I was craving big time. I cleaned the house, organized, cleaned out my closet, dusted, vacuumed, laundry, and much more lol. Trying to stay busy.
At one point, I went out, said heck w/it, lit one up, the first puff felt like you did the first time you smoked, but then, my mom drove up so I immediately put it out. She knows I smoke, I haven't told her I'm quitting (just in case lol) but she knows I'm sick and I didn't want the lecture. I think God sent her back just in time to stop me. SO I don't think I'm starting to recount over a puff. I'm keeping my quit day as Tuesday, sounds more encouraging. It's hard, but I better do this now that it's winter time and I had already gone down to 2-4 a day. I can ask for patches but I think w/the wellbutrin it should be ok based on my smoking habits.

Problem...tomorrow is my brothers 30'th bday, of course I can't NOT go, I want to go, it's a big deal. I know there will be smokers (but outside) and drinking. We all know how they go hand in hand. I'm afraid if I have ONE drink I'll go out to smoke. Maybe not, either way, pray I can stay strong w/the no smoking. Maybe I'll drink, but pray it's 32 deg and I won't want to go outside to smoke. I will probably do my best to stay away from other smokers the first month, maybe should even stop drinking for that first month. I don't intend or want to stop drinking per se, but to quit smoking I'll have to most likely stop all for a while. Once I feel "over" my smoking then I can bring back my glass of wine ;). Even that I decreased to where a bottle of wine lasts more a week or more now!

I'm thinking exercise, finally w/out feeling out of breath, I'm thinking, great I'm going to get fatter then I already am (I've gained 30lbs in the last year or so). Put on about another 5 when I cut down on the smoking so what will it be now? I'm so depressed about that, but hey, it's not like I have been skinny this last year and I was smoking. I really need to concentrate all my efforts on exercising, instead of going to smoke break, take a few flights of stairs for 5-10min, couple times a day. Take that combined evening time of smokes and exercise in the evening 30mins even.
Turn into a diet/exercise freak, why not? I'll look better , smell better and be healthier.

Oh, I'm getting our puppy in another 4 wks, so I wanted to quit before she came as to not tackle puppy potty training and the stress of quitting combined. YIKES that would have been ugly.

This is hard though, I never realized the "mental" part. It's like you know it's bad for you, you have and want to quit, but feel like being rebellious w/yourself and your good decision lol. The dependency!!! To calm down, or just to socialize. It's the mental thing for me, more then physical (though it is a little). I'm having a raging war in my head right now saying stick w/it....to heck, start smoking again tomorrow....stick w/it....to heck....stick w/it GRRRRRR

Prayers or good thoughts please for ALL of us out here in quitting land.

Upvote 0