• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

~InHisHands~

At the feet of Jesus
Sep 3, 2006
✟18,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Day Ten

I'm just starting day 10. I had a butt can outside for when I smoked out on the porch. I made sure it made it to the garbage can today for pick up. I'm taking my patch off earlier each evening now. Last night was a bit of a struggle but, I'm still managing. I used my rubber band last night. I've been getting lots of encouragement from co-workers and stuff so, that's been helpful. Especially when I start to struggle with it. I told a co-worker last night I just really hope this will be worth it cuz I really want a cigarette. :)

Upvote 0

~InHisHands~

At the feet of Jesus
Sep 3, 2006
✟18,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
are you stoll on the patch? if so what strenght patch did you start with ?

Daryl
Hi Daryl! :)
I'm using Nicoderm CQ's and you're supposed to start with step 1 if you smoke more than 10 a day. You're supposed to do that for 6 weeks. Then work your way down to the other 2 steps. However, I live in a small town that only supplies step 1 and it's a 21 mg patch. I can't wear it the way the box instructs or I get sick. So, what I did was for the first week I wore it each day til bedtime then I took it off for the night. This week I've started to ween off of it. I take it off an hour earlier each night. I cheated a little within the first few days. I had like 3 cigarettes in a two day span. But, you're not supposed to. There's a chance you could have a heart attack. :D I haven't had any since. I think I've been totally smoke free 9 out of 11 days. I'm on day 11 and things are going well. I usually suck lollipops to curb that hand to mouth thing and then when the cravings get bad I snap my wrists with a rubber band, chew gum or have a cup of coffee. If they get to be too frustrating I go for a short walk. They aren't as severe with the patch as they are trying to go cold turkey. And a week of patches cost me the same as a week of cigarettes. I've tried to quit before but, unless you truly want to quit, they won't help. I hope this answers your question. :)

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
You smashed a chair? ~Suddenly thankful I'm using the patch...hehe~
Actually I am on meds(Wellbutrin)...
same thing actually as Zyban...so it did help.
Could you imagine if I hadnt been on anything :D

DH used the patch and it made him sick...after 3 days he went cold turkey.
He has had 1/2 a smoke an one cigar though throughout the year. Whether or not one wants to consider him a smoker or not...:)
He said he gagged on the smoke which is why it was only half and said the cigar was totally different...hmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Today I started with the patch. I've been smoking for 20+ years now and I need and want to quit. Please pray for me. Thank you. :hug:
Congratulations! The first step is the hardest.That step is the decision to quit. You have taken that step. I will pray for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I know United. I was just teasing you dear. You're both doing really well.

Thank you Harlen. Your prayers are appreciated. :)
I know...I bug him though ;)
Ive never had it...
I dont know...now that I can smell people I cant believe I once smelled like these smokers...
ewww gross ;)

Upvote 0

~InHisHands~

At the feet of Jesus
Sep 3, 2006
✟18,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Things are going better this afternoon. I went to town earlier and got a couple new crochet hooks and found my skanes of yarn I hadn't started on and began crocheting an afghan for myself. I also found a website that has audio meditation. So I did that, too. Plus some exercising. I feel a lot better than I did earlier.

Upvote 0