Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The voice of wisdom crying in the streets and the public squares, 'how long will you simple ones love simple things, fools hate knowledge, and mockers delight in mockery. If you had responded to my rebuke I'd have poured my spirit up to you and made my thoughts known unto thee.

This reminds me a lot of Romans where Paul describes God's divine attributes and eternal nature known, being discerned from the things that were made. The fact that wisdom rebukes us all, we are the fools of Proverbs. But if we respond to the rebuke of wisdom, wisdom and revelation follows. The concept here is not unlike the New Testament call to repentance.

That is soooo true.

Thank you for sharing your insight on this Proverb, Mark. :)

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is soooo true.

Thank you for sharing your insight on this Proverb, Mark. :)
I've long said if you don't see yourself as the fool in Proverbs and one of the sinners in Romans 1 your not paying attention.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 1

just saw this...is this AWESOME or what??!!! THIS is soooooo what I need. it's officially July 1st, so i'm starting with
Proverbs 1, yay!!

Two things(well three) that stand out for me:

The repeated theme of the "fear of the Lord"
"wisdom is referred to as "she"
that wisdom almost "shouts" to those willing to listen

Note: it must take a lot of determined effort to "not hear" the "crying out" of wisdom....this ties right into verses 24-30. In the deliberate ignoring of and spurning of the wisdom being practically "shouted out" they seal their own destruction with their own hand.

How tragic.
Yes proverbs one discusses how those who are simplistic must turn around and accept the true doctrine of Christ. It also shows that people who are full of lust and deceit like to ambush innocent victims and in the process condemn themselves.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 1:

The wisdom of heeding the wise.

Heeding the teachings of our father and our mother, when those teachings are righteous, brings honor to our parents, and it indicates the blessing and grace and wisdom that God Himself placed in this son's (or daughter's) heart. There is the promise that God will grant favor to these very wise sons (and daughters) who honor their fathers and mothers.

It ties right into the sure blessings God pours onto and into us when we heed this very very wise verses:

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth " ~Eph 6:1-3

iu

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 1:

Digging for treasure.
6103718-closed-chest-old-casket-with-large-lock-hidden.jpg
Hey, it's the 1st day of May, and we're on Proverb 1!!!! There are several verses that catch my attention, and amongst them is this intriguing one:

"To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings." ~Pr 1:6

Now this is what's intriguing....it's the last two words:

"dark sayings".

Now what in the world could that possibly mean?

"Dark sayings"?

What comes to mind for me is that the word "dark" refers to "hidden" as in "not seen" and as in "buried", and that the "wise" (the Bible already defines who the "wise" are) have FOUND what was "hidden" and "buried", because they went and "dug" diligently for it.

These "wise" ones are those who have wielded this tool below to "dig for", and thus FIND the "hidden" things:

iu
God promises that when we "call" to Him, He WILL answer. "Calling" to God, is SEEKING Him in His Word. Seeking Him in His Word, IS "digging. And "digging" is what God responds to. He "answers" our "digging", and shows us those "hidden treasures".

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jeremiah 33:3

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 1:

God guides even kings.

God guides the thoughts and actions of even kings. And He surely does with our leaders here in this country and the leaders of other countries as well. That is why we are admonished to pray for our leaders and all leaders.

And as our President meets with a top official of North Korea today, i pray for both of these leaders that God guides each of them, and that His will is done. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen. (((hug)))

iu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 1:

God guides even kings.

God guides the thoughts and actions of even kings. And He surely does with our leaders here in this country and the leaders of other countries as well. That is why we are admonished to pray for our leaders and all leaders.

And as our President meets with a top official of North Korea today, i pray for both of these leaders that God guides each of them, and that His will is done. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen. (((hug)))

iu
yes, the King's heart is in the hand of God...

I like this verse as well...
LifeHopeandTruth_Prov_1_5_640_640_80.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverb 1:

God: Pouring out His Spirit.

"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you." ~Pr 1:23

Verse 23 is compelling.

God is REASONING with us here. He is saying that if we submit to His chastisement and turn from our wicked self-will and rebellion, and repent, that He will pour His Spirit into us, and because we "fear" Him, He will make "known" to us (give us understanding of) His Words.

Reminds me of this:

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." ~Isa 1:18

And this:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jer 33:3

And this:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Pr 9:10

How PRECIOUS is THAT???!!!

PROVERBS 1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I like this one; I can be the fool at times.
Pr 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. NIV
Amen!

I agree. The fear of the Lord is indicative of humbleness before the living God.

Humbleness before God = wisdom.

Humbleness = the antithesis to foolishness.

• Agree
Reactions: SWIll
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 1:

Obedience = Wisdom.

It indicates wisdom when one "hears" what God says" and gives "heed".

God promises that those who give heed and obey, will be blessed, and be free from the fear of all harm.

Precious.

PROVERBS 1  33.jpg

Upvote 0

SWIll

Newish
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
SW Illinois
✟115,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pr 1:32-33
"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm." NIV

Needed this one today. Been feeling complacent lately. Listen to wisdom, Mike!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Pr 1:32-33
"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm." NIV

Needed this one today. Been feeling complacent lately. Listen to wisdom, Mike!

Yes, He IS our Source of peace and safety, isn't He? He also wakes us up from complacency. He is a GOOD Shepherd.

Amen!

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 1:

Wisdom.
AKA: Obedience.

God is telling us here that if we heed Him, through His Word, that He will grant us wisdom, discernment, and clarity and give us understanding that we did not previously have.

This comes to mind:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." ~Jere 33:3

PROVERBS  1 i will pour out my spirit and make my words known..jpg

Upvote 0

BaptistBibleBeliever

Brother Virgil
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2018
McHenry
Visit site
✟41,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
"But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil" (Proverbs 1:33 KJV).

First of all, who is this “me” referred to in the verse? Verse 20 tells us that it is “wisdom” crying in the streets. Who is this “wisdom?” Paul gives us the answer, "But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God . . . But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption" (I Corinthians 1:24, 30). Now, we all know that the name “Jesus” was unknown when Solomon wrote these words, but they did know the “I AM”, and Jesus clearly identifies Himself with that in the Book of John, "Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58).

In the first chapter of the Book of Proverbs, where better to see a glimpse of biblical salvation. Until the day when the Lamb of God would become the sacrifice for sins through His death, burial and resurrection, they still had the blood of the sacrifices that spoke of better things to come, and through them the Old Testament saint could enjoy the same deliverance as the New Testament believer, but just not the sealing of the Spirit and His presence, as long as he upheld his end of the covenants.

Proverbs deals with sound judgment and right decisions that would allow those that listened and applied the truths to their lives, to have a safe and peaceful life. The man that walked with God also had God’s hedge of protection about him and his family, and under the special protection of heaven, nothing can ever do us any real harm, as we abide in His will. Only by God’s express permission can our earthly body be harmed, but our spirits are forever indestructible.

And any fear of a future judgement of hell (or, as it was known prior to the cross, prison) is absolutely unknown. Whether in this life, or the next, evil can never harm us.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early” (Psalms 46:1-5 KJV).

Father, we thank You for the promise of eternal life and for our angel of the LORD Who encampeth round about them that fear Him, Jesus Christ, our Saviour.

• Winner
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen! Praying in agreement.

How glorious that we can trust in, and be safe, because of God's promises of His protection. He DOES "hedge us in", just like He "hedged" Job.

Praise God!!! And what glorious promises to begin this new year, 2019.

Thank you brother, you have BLESSED me.

God bless you and a most BLESSED new year to you.

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." ~Isa 43:19

Upvote 0