Dawkins on ID: Sometimes, one side is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1559743,00.html

One of us spent years as an Oxford tutor and it was his habit to choose controversial topics for the students' weekly essays. They were required to go to the library, read about both sides of an argument, give a fair account of both, and then come to a balanced judgment in their essay. The call for balance, by the way, was always tempered by the maxim, "When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly half way between. It is possible for one side simply to be wrong."​

Excellent article.

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although I disagree with many of the points that ID makes and I do not think that they make any scientific claims whatsoever, I am not a big fan of Dawkins.

But, in that link, Dawkins may be correct that sometimes one side is just wrong. Here is a good link to an NPR episode that had Kenneth Miller and Michael Behe trading points on ID. I agree wholeheartedly with Miller and would urge any YEC to read his book Finding Darwins God

ID/EVO

Miller on God: God

Reactions: theFijian
Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't Dawkins a militant evangelical atheist who has equated religion with computer viruses calling it a "software" virus that affects the human brain? I'm not asking this with any regards to ID, evolution, YEC or anything, just saw his name in the thread title and thought it was a good place to ask it since it isn't worthy of its own thread.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
forgivensinner001 said:
Isn't Dawkins a militant evangelical atheist who has equated religion with computer viruses calling it a "software" virus that affects the human brain? I'm not asking this with any regards to ID, evolution, YEC or anything, just saw his name in the thread title and thought it was a good place to ask it since it isn't worthy of its own thread.

Yes, that's the one. Though I would leave out the adjective "evangelical".

He also happens to be a very good scientist. So read him for science, but take everything else he says with a big grain of salt, knowing where it's coming from.

For Christian approaches to science, read people like Kenneth Miller and Bob Bakker on biology and evolution, and John Polkinghorne on physics and cosmology.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's picture of Dawkins that says it all:

112.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.