Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since the "Dating Unbelievers" thread is so popular and has sparked some interesting discussions. I thought I would make a thread about dating outside your denomination.

If you belong to a non-christian religion, would you date outside your faith tradition?

What are your thoughts on this?

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm non-denominational so this technically this doesn't apply to me :smirk:

I mean, there are denominations I think are crazy so I would avoid those. Or some have completely perverted doctrine that I place them as the same category as an unbeliever.

Mostly though I'm less concerned with titles then I am with where a person actually stands on Biblical truths.

Upvote 0

AmericanSamurai

the super dry member
Sep 24, 2012
America
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm non-denominational so this technically this doesn't apply to me :smirk:

I mean, there are denominations I think are crazy so I would avoid those. Or some have completely perverted doctrine that I place them as the same category as an unbeliever.

Mostly though I'm less concerned with titles then I am with where a person actually stands on Biblical truths.

Non-denomination is a denomination.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: this. If we share similar doctrinal ideas, it doesn't matter what denomination they are..
so you do not really care what the name is on the door of the church they go to

but you want them to have beliefs that would mostly line up with your faith tradition

that makes sense, I think most Christians would give an answer kind of like this

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
so you do not really care what the name is on the door of the church they go to

but you want them to have beliefs that would mostly line up with your faith tradition
Not necessarily. It would be more of an issue of non-objection rather than active agreement, at least for me.

For instance, I'm not Catholic, but I don't actively object to Catholic beliefs, even though there are a few I might disagree with. Disagreement does not necessarily imply objection.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm kind of over the 'denomination' thing. Being raised Baptist I thought I'd never say that, lol. It all boils down to your beliefs...if I find we share very similar views and I find that your views are truth 'based on God's Word' (not my word), then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Now, obviously if I meet a nice guy and find that he is Catholic for example, then it's pretty safe to say that it wouldn't pan out. He could be great friend, but I wouldn't enter into a relationship with him. It simply wouldn't work.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm kind of over the 'denomination' thing. Being raised Baptist I thought I'd never say that, lol. It all boils down to your beliefs...if I find we share very similar views and I find that your views are truth 'based on God's Word' (not my word), then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Now, obviously if I meet a nice guy and find that he is Catholic for example, then it's pretty safe to say that it wouldn't pan out. He could be great friend, but I wouldn't enter into a relationship with him. It simply wouldn't work.

Why wouldn't a Baptist and a Catholic work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I should've said it won't work for me. I can't speak for anyone else, like you for example. Such a union might work beautifully for you.

Anyway, it's the doctrine. I cannot agree with or believe in the Catholic faith. So for me personally, to enter into a relationship with a man who is a staunch Catholic...you can see where problems would eventually rise.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
So maybe I'm anti-denomination? :dontcare:

tumblr_mla3uu78oQ1qk91wgo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
very different faith traditions
even the vocabulary used to describe the faith is very different. I read a great article that describes the differences in terms of a "masculine" and "feminine" mindset.
the difference is not just cultural
the liturgical and sacramental views would also be vastly different and even the view of history might be different according to which branch of the Baptist church that person followed. I could see how this could cause problems if both members were firm believers. I do know several married couples that where one member was Catholic and one was Baptist, most of the time they just end up becoming Lutheran or Methodist as a compromise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
very different faith traditions
even the vocabulary used to describe the faith is very different. I read a great article that describes the differences in terms of a "masculine" and "feminine" mindset.
the difference is not just cultural
the liturgical and sacramental views would also be vastly different and even the view of history might be different according to which branch of the Baptist church that person followed. I could see how this could cause problems if both members were firm believers. I do know several married couples that where one member was Catholic and one was Baptist, most of the time they just end up becoming Lutheran or Methodist as a compromise.

I'm thinking about converting to Methodist anyhow. My father was raised Methodist & I'm not that picky over the smaller religious details.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
not to get too far off topic
but why Methodist?

My father's family was Methodist. There is a United Methodist church a block away from me and the Methodists are generally known to be more liberal than other religions - they allow drinking and smoking and dancing and all that. I don't know the specifics about their theology, but I have attended church there a few times and it's not that different than Catholic mass - the biggest difference was that a female minister led the service - something you never see in a Catholic mass since Catholicism is more male-dominated.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Since the "Dating Unbelievers" thread is so popular and has sparked some interesting discussions. I thought I would make a thread about dating outside your denomination.

If you belong to a non-christian religion, would you date outside your faith tradition?

What are your thoughts on this?

It depends on how much her beliefs differ from mine. I am non-denominational, so there's a number of denominations where I would consider attending their churches should I move. Ultimately though, I believe that if you can't worship together, you shouldn't be married.

Non-denomination is a denomination.

Actually, no. the only thing it means is that there is no affiliation with a denomination. You can go to a non-denominational church like mine, and find that it is very different from some other non-denominational churches in doctrine and in practice. (There is so much wierd crap in the Non-Denominational forum that I hardly ever visit it.)

Upvote 0