Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, this is the second time this has happened to me.
Last Saturday I went to confession in the AM and was pleased that it went well, and I performed my penance. Later that afternoon, while discussing something with my wife, I accidentally let slip the word that's kind of like "goldarnit." I wasn't sure whether this was a mortal sin for taking the name of the Lord in vain, but to be safe I assumed that it was and I did not receive communion.
I also went to confession this morning and that went well. But I was just trying to install a printer and the same dang word just slipped out. Argh!

No communion again this week for Domi? :(

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I seriously doubt that this counts as a mortal sin under the circumstances, but please don't take my word, or the word of anyone on the Internet, for it. Look it up. No one wants to be the one who's advice you took that led to you eating to your damnation or something. ;)

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Last Saturday I went to confession in the AM and was pleased that it went well, and I performed my penance. Later that afternoon, while discussing something with my wife, I accidentally let slip the word that's kind of like "goldarnit." I wasn't sure whether this was a mortal sin for taking the name of the Lord in vain, but to be safe I assumed that it was and I did not receive communion.
I also went to confession this morning and that went well. But I was just trying to install a printer and the same dang word just slipped out. Argh!

Mortal sin requires full knowkedge.

For that word to come out and be a mortal sin. You would have had to plan ahead and then said it.

Not just slip. It's probably still a venial sin though.

Just my guess.

It's a matter of will when trying to change a bad habit. Now that you are aware of it try using another word. It won't be a fast change. It will be a slow change. Sometimes you'll suceed other times you'll fail.

Peace

Upvote 0

Annolennar

Exsiste Caritas Christi
May 11, 2006
✟8,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, I thought unconfessed mortal sin is what makes us unworthy to receive Communion. Am I misunderstanding? (It wouldn't be the first time.)

Nope, you've got it right. But mortal sin requires volition. From the Catechism:

"1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin."

It certainly doesn't sound to me like you were setting out to blaspheme, so I personally wouldn't risk the scrupulosity (which is also bad!) and end up missing out on the grace of the Eucharist.

But Fish and Bread is right, I doubt anyone here is qualified to say authoritatively what you should do.

Edit: Its also worth considering, in my mind, that the grace we recieve in the Eucharist is a gift that may help you to not do this in the future.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Its an accident that you need to work on overcoming and continue to confess but not a mortal sin because your mindful of the mistake and didn't intend to.

Take solace that you're given the grace to be mindful of it and regret it when it occurs so the name isn't really said in vain anymore at that point, but don't let it trick you out of communion.

If it were really mortal you wouldn't want to wait to get to confession either.

For me, I find slips of the tongue are indicative of a condition of hardness of heart or something else deeper that needs to be addressed. Ask the Lord for help to figure out what needs to change to stop it.

The next time you confess it, tell your confessor that the fact this keeps happening disturbs you and ask him if he can offer a helpful remedy.

Also make sure to tell him that you have felt you should refrain from communion because of this. Thats serious bro.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This section in the Catechism may help:

I. THE NAME OF THE LORD IS HOLY

You weren't swearing a false oath.

You had a weakness of tongue maybe due to frustration, anger or lack of trust in the Lord.

You didn't intentionally or even inadvertently disrespect the Lord.

You prayed to God in an ejaculatory way over the problem you were having.

Though asking Him to damn something isn't good.

Try turning it around when in those situations to something like, mindfully saying out loud before you start, Lord help me or Jesus help me;

And every time you may have a slip up try turning that utterance toward the Lord immediately and its not in vain.

Make sense?

This proves you have a conscience and the Lord does not want us to be overly hard on ourselves or withhold ourselves from Him for the wrong reasons.

Take it to your priest about missing communion over this asap.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I let them slip too.
Its like that last ignosecond of 'shut up' as you say it. :doh:
And then apologize profusely that you did it again.

Since it is like a habit - and you are trying hard to stop it - i thot it was veniel. But i dont know.

Reminds me - i am 2 months over do for my confessions. :(

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For me, I find slips of the tongue are indicative of a condition of hardness of heart or something else deeper that needs to be addressed. Ask the Lord for help to figure out what needs to change to stop it.

I cant remember the last time i let it slip... i think i confessed it. :scratch:
I try to work hard on that myself. [i know its my irish temper]
And it would seem that the harder i try - it happens. So i am trying to make up substitute words... and make them part of me.

Dang blast it
Gravy boat
Goshdarnit
freakin' is my word of choice these days.
'Freakin no good rotten so and so...' comes out.

Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This section in the Catechism may help:

I. THE NAME OF THE LORD IS HOLY

You weren't swearing a false oath.

You had a weakness of tongue maybe due to frustration, anger or lack of trust in the Lord.

You didn't intentionally or even inadvertently disrespect the Lord.

You prayed to God in an ejaculatory way over the problem you were having.

Though asking Him to damn something isn't good.

Try turning it around when in those situations to something like, mindfully saying out loud before you start, Lord help me or Jesus help me;

And every time you may have a slip up try turning that utterance toward the Lord immediately and its not in vain.

Make sense?

This proves you have a conscience and the Lord does not want us to be overly hard on ourselves or withhold ourselves from Him for the wrong reasons.

Take it to your priest about missing communion over this asap.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

I'm with Joab on this. I think it's important for you to balance this with the fact that you will be denying Christ the opportunity to commune with you as well as you to receive the additional grace of Him.

I can not see how this is deliberate consent. As others said, you need to work through this. Part of this dilemma is grace in itself. As a habit that we are trying to break becomes more painful for us each time we do it, it causes us to more greatly desire to stop doing it. You really need to tell your priest that you are abstaining from receiving at Mass due to this. The priest needs to guide you in that decision as well.

Be at Peace. Scrupulosity can do so much damage to us and our relationship with the Lord. We are called to a joyful, peaceful friendship with the Lord. I'm not negating our need to examine our conscience and go to confession, I am one of those frequent confession folks but we must balance it with Christ's desire to be with us in communion as well.

Confession helps us form our conscience. That's why you are so aware of your habit, but taking the results of our newly aware conscience and punishing ourselves outside of confession is not why confession exists. Allow God to transform you. If you were capable of being perfected on your own, you'd be there already. It is the graces received in the sacraments that transform us.

Judge fairly and do what you feel is right. But please, check with your priest on what he thinks of you abstaining from communion. Let him tell you what things from your confession, if repeated, should hold you back. Then you'll have more confidence in your confession and in fully participating in the Mass.:)

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is not a mortal sin. You slipped. You should have (perhaps you did) immediately apologized to God and sought His assistance. BUT, you had seriously better get working on overcoming this tendency to 'slip'. Now that you know it is a problem, do your very best to do it no more. It is a terrible habit, one which I had as an adolescent because everyone in my family said it. If you can't catch yourself with the first word: 'Oh!' then catch yourself with the second, 'My!' and then insert any word you can come up with - Gosh, dear, crap, you name it. You can do it. ;) :clap:

If you are driving and you come upon a horrible accident, it would be perfectly natural to call out to God; same goes for the birth of a baby or other time where you want to let God know you need him or are thankful. Because your favorite team lost or you're mildly surprised when someone says something - NOT okay.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be aware that the devil wants us to miss the Eucharist. That God will forgive anything.

Our church has confession 30 minutes before every Mass. Even if you are in Mortal Sin you should be able to do confession before Mass and then attend Mass and receive Communion. If your church does not give this ability to do confession before Mass then look around for they are out there. My family drives 20 minutes away while there are half a dozen Catholic Churches closer for just this reason.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
An anology:

You keep forgetting about the stop sign on the corner and everytime you go through it you hit the little lamb. Whose fault is that ? Yours or the lambs ?

When you slipped, even though you did not mean it, you hit God. Like I stated above, this seems to be a persistent problem you are having that you need to work on. Follow your conscience.

You know what to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been thinking more about this.

These are really important:

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate (key word) consent."131

also this definition:

SCRUPULOSITY
The habit of imagining sin where none exists, or grave sin where the matter is venial. To overcome scrupulosity, a person needs to be properly instructed in order to form a right conscience, and in extreme cases the only remedy is absolute obedience (for a time) to a prudent confessor.

In the end, only you can figure out if you really meant to do this or not.

Is there a near occasion that could have been avoided? I don't see one from what you have said.

Would it have happened if Jesus or someone else had been standing there?

Patience is a virtue. How do we increase in that virtue and what robs us of patience?

Your in my prayers.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An anology:

You keep forgetting about the stop sign on the corner and everytime you go through it you hit the little lamb. Whose fault is that ? Yours or the lambs ?

When you slipped, even though you did not mean it, you hit God. Like I stated above, this seems to be a persistent problem you are having that you need to work on. Follow your sonscience.

You know what to do.

You just described a venial sin.

No one is saying we don't need to overcome our venial sins as they are bound to grow worse if we don't but we need grace to do that. The grace we receive from Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.