Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
(I normally receive the Body of Christ on my tongue 99.99% of the time).

As a penance, when I was in college, I had to receive Communion on my hand. I did so. Afterward, I licked my hand because particles remained on it.

It seems silly, but my scrupulous mind tells me I did something wrong.

This was 6-7 years ago.

Thoughts?

No debating please.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always receive on the tongue.

When I was a Eucharistic minister, in training they told us that some people would come up to you if you were bearing the chalice, dip the Host into the Precious Blood, and consume It. Our trainer said, "This is just a heads-up type thing; you will encounter it, just know that it will happen." He continued, "Technically, they are not supposed to be doing this, because it constitutes self-communication, which is illicit in the Latin Rite. Don't rebuke them---that's not our job, but just be aware of it."

I thought at the time, "If intincting the Host held in your hand into the Blood and consuming It is self-communication, how can they say that receiving the Host into your hand and then consuming It isn't self-communication?" But I let it go. That was back in the days when the American Church was still in its post-Vatican II, Shake n' Bake, add-water-and-stir, make it up as you go along stage. :rolleyes:

In your particular case, Riley, I agree with Icy: you were sincerely trying to do the right thing, so no sin was involved. :) Would that all American lay Catholics had the same level of concern for not causing offense where the Eucharist is concerned.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(I normally receive the Body of Christ on my tongue 99.99% of the time).

As a penance, when I was in college, I had to receive Communion on my hand. I did so. Afterward, I licked my hand because particles remained on it.

It seems silly, but my scrupulous mind tells me I did something wrong.

This was 6-7 years ago.

Thoughts?

No debating please.
What you did is Awesome and Appropriate.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just ask your priest about this. :)
Just for your own peace of mind, mention it in Confession or make a face to face appointment with a priest. He will relieve your anxiety. you did nothing wrong, at all.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0