Cursillo!

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's what I did, back when I was Anglican. My husband also did a Walk, and our sons did the youth version.

Mary
your post is realy great and hopeful an inspiration to all christian in anglican catholic and united churches around the world..
maybe it should be mention here that cursillo came original from the catholic church, from spain, then under licence the anglican took it and then united church took it up with their emmaus walk - all are equal!
i can recommend this long weekend to all christians of this churches.
if some of you wan't me to write a bit more of the weekend, then ask in your post, please.
this weekend is a 'short course in christianity' and realy is the start of a missionary cristian life. it follows up with a leader course.
cursillo is an ongoing commitment in our parishes and bringing fellow men/women to CHRIST
your brother in CHRIST, norbie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would like to hear more about the week. Is it more high-church? Charismatic? I'm curious.

I can't speak specifically for the Episcopal Cursillo, since I did the Methodist "Walk to Emmaus", but it's structured the same. High-church/Low-church/Charismatic/Evangelical is really not relevant. It has its own form. It is structured around Communion services and "talks" given by several different people, with a different theme (connected to the Holy Trinity as well as the Christian life) each day. There are also lots of fun things mixed in, and lots of good food.

It's really rather hard to explain, and it's one of those things whose "whole is more than the sum of its parts" if you know what I mean. It's definitely a worthwhile experience if you ever get the chance.

Mary

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I can talk about Vocare, Higgs, which is of a similar format. In general terms it's about building a personal relationship with God while also quickly building an intense Christian community with everyone who is there on the weekend. The talks involve people telling their personal stories about their faith, usually along the lines of a particular theme (Vocare focuses on vocation, so the talks build up around personal faith identity, then about living out that identity through work in the world).

Because of the emphasis on a personal relationship with God, it seems to me that the weekends can have an evangelical feel, but this may vary from diocese to diocese according to the leanings of the leadership and the makeup of the Cursillo group. I would say, though, that if one is of a strong Anglo-Catholic, liturgical tradition that s/he might not be very comfortable in this setting. But broad-churched and more evangelical people would probably get into it. To illustrate, you'll find lots of Happy-Clappy Jesus Music (a.k.a. Songs 4 Worship) used during these weekends, so if someone is turned off by that kind of thing, they might not go for Cursillo. Personally I would like to see a more broad-church approach to Cursillo and Vocare, I think it could work quite well.

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟17,868.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My husband made his in 87 and I followed that same year...our daughter has now made one too. I worked on two or three weekends and loved the whole experience. Also met with some women for weekly meetings after we made the weekend.

This was when we were Roman Catholics. I have heard that the U.S. Episcopalian Cursillo experience is much the same.

pilgrimgal

:tutu:

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
wow, it's lovely so much good response, praise the LORD!
so i think it is good to tell interested christian's in the forum about their weekend. and i tell you from the 'other side', from a cursillo leader and organiser to invite you for the most enjoyable, but important 3 days of your life.
cursillo is mostly a long weekend for you, that means your sponsor drop you of at the cursillo location thursday evening, you will be warmly welcome, members even carry your suitcase, you pay your accomotation, and then get to know other new canditates by good food and glas of wine or beer.
the cursillo director will tell you then what it is all about, tell you we can forget about time and the outer world and focus our thoughts about the weekend, and go quitly to bed. while you sleep your team works quite a little longer to make your following days very joyful, but also spiritual for you.
i won't go in the exact details here it would take to long, but there will be chapel visit and prayers, very interesting talks important to our missionary church, like how we can change our surrounding for CHRIST, what we can do, also our christian living is very important and so on. in between talks we can discuss what we think about it, even put our thoughts to paper.
i asure you of a great community and believe me when we have to go home sunday evening some great friendship have formed, some forever and some tears are shed.
of course there is much more and some lovely suprises, it would be to long to mentioned here, but it is important to let you know the cursillo weekend also have mostly two clergy for the whole weekend with you and there is time set apart were you all on your own and very private can talk with them. they are good listeners and can help with some good direction.
you will not forget this weekend for a very long time in your life, and maybe you are even called for training to help others in a great weekend.
maybe it's good to mention that the catholic cursillo is mixed, man and woman together, but the anglican is man and woman a different weekend, mostly 2 weeks apart. we feel that if man or woman on their own, without spouse people talk more freely and form a great friendship.
so you see cursillo is not a secret society, but christian people who wan't to follow JESUS call, to like to have more knowledge how to, and to get more involved in their own parishes.
i hope this helps a little, but please ask more questions if you not clear on something.
your brother in CHRIST, norbie:hug:

Upvote 0