Cursillo!

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did cursillo last year. It was a helpful time, although I did have a few small difficulties with some of it. Some of that was structural, some of it the leadership of our weekend. The mens one that ran parallel did not have some of the issues I had trouble with

But overall I thought it was really great.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did cursillo last year. It was a helpful time, although I did have a few small difficulties with some of it. Some of that was structural, some of it the leadership of our weekend. The mens one that ran parallel did not have some of the issues I had trouble with

But overall I thought it was really great.
very sad to hear this, it should not happened and is most likely a little stress from your cursillo team, but you should pass your experiance on to the cursillo secretariat in your diocese. it will help for future weekends.
a very good point is the suggestion about calling the thread 'the fourth day', but the reason i called cursillo only - more people will understand and be in it.
but you are very right, the fourth day, that's what is all about. you will have noticed most likely that nearly all eucharistic ministers including chalice assistants, organists, readers and intercessors, sanctuary servers and sacristan are members of the cursillo team.
and i am very greatful to the administration that they put a 'sticky' tap on this cursillo thread and i encourage all cursillistas out there to keep this thread going, to outreach for CHRIST, to make a friend - be a friend - and bring this friend GENTLY to CHRIST.
it's our goal and i invite all christian forum members to come and ask questions and i am sure all cursilistas will happy share with you.
your brother in CHRIST norbie

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick INFO for you if you live in the Newcastle Diocese. There are still a few places free for Women 36 which is held in Morisset from the 17-20 May,
and for Men 36 which is held from 8-11 June in Morpeth.
See your rector urgent about this, he will find someone to help and sponsor you.
Any info. or your Rector haven't been to Cursillo you can ask question here, there are many Cursillistas on the Forum, or you can mail me anytime.
Your Brother in Christ,
Norbie

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all Cursillo and Emmaus Members and all of you,
can I ask you for a little time of yourself?
This Thursday evening (17/05) starts W36 and Friday evening (08/06) starts M36.
I thought it would be a great suprise and encouragement if we could read out some P..an..as to our new Cursilistas.
If you like to be part of this support, please send P* to:
norbie@hunterlink.net.au

Thank you!
Your Brother in Christ,
Norbie

Upvote 0

Camden202

Jul 2, 2007
✟7,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have to say that I am not a supporter of Cursillo on principal. As hard as it may be for some people to understand that.

It is one thing to go on 'retreat', however my reaction is that any 'response' should be intellectual not emotional; unless of course the emotional response is a result of an intellectual understanding.

Also it calls into question the whole discernment issue.

Im sorry if that offends anyone, but I have had friends who have been on Cursillo weekends and have come back very sad .... one even described it as Satanic.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, this IS sad. Your friend told you lot's of wrong things.
First you must know that CURSILLO is NOT a retreat at all. It is more an educational matter, "a short course in Christianity". I think your friend was a little 'pushed-in' to attend, he was not ready to go. He maybe wanted to go to a retreat.
It's a very big responsibility for the sponsor: to pray for it a long time to get the canditate ready and for his understanding of Christian values in the world.
CURSILLO is about 'Apostolic Action', what can I do in service to Christ? How can I help to spread the word of our Lord? Which is my talent? what part of "the Body" am I?
This is CURSILLO, for strong leaders who want to share their life with Christ....:thumbsup:
So please look into it for yourself, you have read the Posts before yours I guess, and I hope there will be more answers coming up now, because the CURSILLO Family is strong and growing.
If you have any question please ask - the CF is there for you, and then make up your OWN mind, pray about it!:groupray:
Your Brother in Christ,
Norbert

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I have to say that I am not a supporter of Cursillo on principal. As hard as it may be for some people to understand that.

It is one thing to go on 'retreat', however my reaction is that any 'response' should be intellectual not emotional; unless of course the emotional response is a result of an intellectual understanding.

Also it calls into question the whole discernment issue.

Im sorry if that offends anyone, but I have had friends who have been on Cursillo weekends and have come back very sad .... one even described it as Satanic.
I am sorry my friend that your friend had a bad experience but I truly do not understand their response. Satanic? I don't see how. I also am not aware how Cursillo is anti-intellectual or how it calls into question Discernment.

I am not sure what your friend attended but if it was Cursillo someone is doing something very wrong, and contrary to Cursillo principles.

Upvote 0

Camden202

Jul 2, 2007
✟7,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hello and thank you for the replies to my comments.

I probably should have been a bit more specific and I am sorry if my previous post was misleading.

The friend who attended and came back with the 'Satanic' comment essentially said that they felt that having to expose things about themselves and feeling inadequate and exposed for doing so.... was not comfortable and did not feel right generally; perhaps theres more too it but thats just what I was told (after two cups of tea and a plate of very nice scones).

My other friend just made an observation that she felt that the whole experience whilst being searching and useful (disernment of her own faith etc).... it was also intrusive.

I am not myself entirely convinced of the merits of cursillo, though I have taken theological study which is more academic I guess... without having been there I cant compare or even justify my observation, however please just read them as ramblings and random thoughts.

May God bless you and keep you in his care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
I made my Cursillo with the Lutheran's- Via de Christo in 2004. It was exactly as Norbie describes, except that the only alcohol we got was frequent Holy Communion/Euchrist. The food was fantasic. I left physically tired, but spiritually energized. I've been staff at 4 weekends since and learned as much then as in my first time through. I even got to do the study talk once. We received prayers from 4th day community of many Christian flavors-RC. Meth,Prison groups. Amazing. Mrs. Kotton

Upvote 0

STL-STD

Dec 16, 2010
✟15,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,
have we got some anglican cursillo members in the christian forum?
would like to discuss cursillo a little more without giving little surprises away.
norbie
P.S.:catholic cursillo and uniting church members also very welcome. this is one thing we are ONE
norbie

I did a cursillo feb of 97.

Why are Anglicans and Old Catholics in the same forum?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodIsLove1

Beginner's Mind
Feb 21, 2010
Los Angeles
✟7,663.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What a happy ultreya (gathering to move "Onward") place this is.

I made mine in 1978, the moment I turned 18. I'm STILL "feeling the Love!"

The following year, I was driving through the high desert to "work" my first, when my thermostat blew. I waited by the side of the road for three hours, and was passed by hundreds of cars. The only person to finally stop was someone I'd never met, and he said, "I'm really running late for this 'Thing' I'm supposed to get to, but a little voice told me to pull over, and give you a ride to a payphone."

He turned out to be the Head-Cook for the Weekend. Bless the Lord.

Upvote 0