Cruciform Theology subforum (under General Theology)

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What's cruciform mean? Most of the forums give a general idea of what is being discussed by the name. When I google it, it says having the shape of a cross.

I'd suggest maybe cross centred christianity?

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's cruciform mean? Most of the forums give a general idea of what is being discussed by the name. When I google it, it says having the shape of a cross.

I'd suggest maybe cross centred christianity?
The term "cruciform theology" is a specific term for this type of theology which brings up results in Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cru...i64j69i60l2.3459j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'd prefer to use the term "cruciform theology" because that is what the pastors and theologians who write about this theology use (people like Greg Boyd, Jeremy Myers, Brad Jersak, William P. Young). I would detail within the forum description what it is for those who are unaware. Something like this:
"This forum discusses cruciform theology, that Jesus reveals the nature and character of God, one of self sacrificial love and of power shown in weakness on the cross.

A common question that the early church would have wrestled with is: how do we make sense of our scriptures now that the Messiah has come? Cruciform theology tries to answer that question by getting to the heart of the Gospel which is Jesus Christ on the cross.

There are various authors writing about cruciform theology such as Brad Jersak, Greg Boyd, Jeremy Myers, Derek Flood and William P. Young. Through their work in detailing and expanding this way of interpreting the Bible, we can understand many difficult issues like violence in the Old Testament and even the age old question of why there is evil in the world without falling into the trap of redefining evil as good.

During his lifetime, Jesus of Nazareth patiently gave of himself for others, relinquishing his divinity to lead the perfect embodiment of a human cruciform life. He surrendered his life out of his love for humanity, and on the cross, revealed a God who does not cause others to suffer and die, but who does so Himself for the sake of others. It is in his crucifixion that we can most clearly see the nature of God. Since Jesus is the perfect revelation of God’s character, then we know that God does not force his will through coercive power but reaches out to us with patient and self sacrificial love. This is a God who loves his enemies and who wants a relationship with each and every one of us."

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to find out about how to create and moderate a new subforum called Cruciform Theology under General Theology. Is this the right place to ask? If so, what are the steps? If not, where should I ask?
This is the right place and this would be the first step. :)

I am not sure that the subject would warrant an entire sub forum at this time. However, I would encourage you to make threads on the subject if it is of interest to you. If there is a lot of traction and interest from other forum members than it can be looked at to add another sub forum. However, we try to cut down on the number of new forums unless there is a clear demand for them.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the right place and this would be the first step. :)

I am not sure that the subject would warrant an entire sub forum at this time. However, I would encourage you to make threads on the subject if it is of interest to you. If there is a lot of traction and interest from other forum members than it can be looked at to add another sub forum. However, we try to cut down on the number of new forums unless there is a clear demand for them.
It is a bit chicken and egg. Many people don't know about cruciform theology because there aren't many groups on it but once they know then they become interested. I founded a cruciform theology group on reddit (Cruciformity: the cross is where God is most clearly seen) and it has grown to 750 members.

I have been posting regularly here on themes from cruciform theology and there has usually been interest with people responding.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0