Creation or Evolution? How do we know which is true?

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you kidding? I've been vaccinated before (say for the flu) and still got a bad case of the flu, plus I've read numerous stories of people actually dying of the flu vaccine and other vaccines. I've also read numerous stories and know personally of a family whose son is autistic and showed no signs of being on the autistic spectrum prior to receiving the inundation of vaccines pushed on kids these days.

The "autism" story turns out to have been a doctor, bribed by people who had a financial interest in spreading the story:

The doctor whose study triggered a collapse in public confidence in the combined measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine told a disciplinary panel last week that he made up details of his son’s birthday party—at which he took blood samples from several children—when giving a speech in California.

Andrew Wakefield was one of the authors of the 1998 Lancet paper on inflammatory bowel disease and autism. He is now facing a General Medical Council fitness to practise panel, accused of serious professional misconduct, alongside two other authors of the study, Simon Murch and John Walker-Smith.

Dr Wakefield’s comments at a press conference announcing the paper, where he linked the MMR vaccine to a risk of autism, led to a public health scare that saw uptake of the vaccine dip below 80%. The Lancet later repudiated the paper, after it emerged that Dr Wakefield had extensive financial ties to lawyers and families who were pursuing the manufacturers of the vaccine in the courts and that most of his research participants were litigants.

The GMC’s charges against Dr Wakefield include allegations that, in 1998 while a consultant at the Royal Free Hospital, London, he unethically paid children at his son’s 10th birthday party £5 (€6; $10) each to give blood samples he wanted for his research.

Last week the GMC panel saw video footage of a speech Dr Wakefield gave in 1999 at a meeting of parents of autistic children called by the Mind Institute of the University of California, Davis, where he jokingly described children fainting and vomiting after giving blood.

“Two children fainted, one threw up over his mother,” he told his laughing audience in the clip. “People said to me, you can’t do that—children won’t come back to your birthday parties. I said we live in a market economy; next year they’ll want £10.”

But Dr Wakefield told the GMC panel that he had made up these details to amuse his listeners. “It was the end of a long and rather exacting talk for the parents, and it was an attempt to introduce a little bit of levity,” he said. “It was a quip, just a story. The way these stories are told, if the audience responds you tend to respond back. So the story was told. But it had no bearing on the truth at all.”
Wakefield admits fabricating events when he took children’s blood samples

Further, there was a point where scientists believed the world was a million years old,

Darwin's discoveries showed that it had to be many millions of years old. Lord Kelvin's measures of heat from the Earth showed that it had to be at least tens of millions of years old, but not much more than that. Then Rutherford's discovery of radioactivity made it clear from where the extra heat was coming, and the data showed it to be billions of years od.

and now we're at something like 4.54 billion years old.

Those seem to be the oldest rocks on Earth, so a pretty good number.

Observational science is one thing and carries with it a degree of certainty, though still not a guarantee of 100% perfect/complete understanding.

This is why experiments and observations, confirming the many predictions of evolutionary theory, are so important. Would you like me to show you some more of them?

Now step into the realm of never-observed, unmeasurable, untestable, unverifiable doctrine of YE creationism given the error-laden record of past creationist claims, then it's no surprise that few people familiar with the evidence believe your new religious doctrines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ironic statement.

Tens of thousands of highly trained experts, over decades and decades, have “looked” and their unanimous conclusion: evolution.

I will defer to the experts who have logged hundreds of thousands of hours of hard work, all subject to the rigours of the scientific method, rather than to a “gut feeling”.

Science has also discovered the your guts 'have a mind of their own', and that it is pretty smart.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Science has also discovered the your guts 'have a mind of their own', and that it is pretty smart.
Actually they have found neural tissue on our guts. It has nothing to do with the higher thought process.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually they have found neural tissue on our guts. It has nothing to do with the higher thought process.

I meant smart in the way that 'smartphones' are smart.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Doesn't the 'heart brain' actually tell the 'head brain' what to do in many cases?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Volume 3, Issue 4, August 1968, Pages 475-490
The normal distribution of ganglia and ganglion cells in the anal canals and lower rectums of 22 babies and children has been plotted and enumerated. Ganglion cells were distributed in three separate plexuses, the myenteric, the deep submucous, and the superficial submucous plexuses.

A “hypoganglionic” zone has been defined and found to extend an average of 4 mm. in the myenteric plexus, 7 mm. in the deep submucous plexus, and 10 mm. in the superificial submucous plexus from and cranial to the anal valves or pectinate line of the anal canal.

It should be pointed out that in no way are these ganglia the equivalent of a human brain. The anus does not run things in the human body.

This is perhaps one way in which biology and politics are unlike each other.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't the 'heart brain' actually tell the 'head brain' what to do in many cases?
It tells the brain when there is a need for food. One may feel butterfly’s in their stomach, but that appears to be based on what the brain is telling the gut.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It tells the brain when there is a need for food. One may feel butterfly’s in their stomach, but that appears to be based on what the brain is telling the gut.

I meant the role of the heart in managing the entire body. Also, what is the neural pathway from the gut brain and heart brain to the head brain, or do these 'brains' even need to communicate with the head brain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I meant the role of the heart in managing the entire body. Also, what is the neural pathway from the gut brain and heart brain to the head brain, or do these 'brains' even need to communicate with the head brain?
My understanding is that the neurons in the heart regulate heart function. As with the gut these are not brain cells.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that the neurons in the heart regulate heart function. As with the gut these are not brain cells.

But don't they send signals to the brain?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But don't they send signals to the brain?
But they aren’t brain cells and they aren’t managing the entire body.

Try searching this on the net if you want more information.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But they aren’t brain cells and they aren’t managing the entire body.

Try searching this on the net if you want more information.

I use the term gut 'brain' and heart 'brain' figuratively. These 'brains' are in constant communication with and are part of the autonomous nervous system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

They aren't even neurons. Remarkably, the heart works by modified muscle cells called Purkinje Fibers. They function just like neurons, but are independent of the nervous system.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The bible intimates that good and evil proceed from the heart, and that the brain just works out the details.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The bible intimates that good and evil proceed from the heart, and that the brain just works out the details.
Again, there are no brain cells in the heart.

Upvote 0