Creation Ex Nihilo: A doctrine created out of nothing?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By any chance do you any Bible verses that show that spirit is not composed of matter? Do we need to look for religious understanding in a secular dictionary?

God is Spirit, there are no verses that says Spirit is Matter.

Early dictionaries in English are based on the Bible.

So, defining one's terms is exactly the correct answer.

There are no verses that says God is matter.
BibleGateway - Keyword Search: God is matter

Isaiah 31:3
Now the Egyptians are human and not God, And their horses are flesh and not spirit; So the Lord will stretch out His hand, And any helper will stumble, And one who is helped will fall. And all of them will come to an end together.

John 4:24
God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Upvote 0

natitude

Dec 19, 2020
east of the Mississippi River
✟22,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God is Spirit, there are no verses that says Spirit is Matter.

But there are verses that say that people are spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [Christ] was made a quickening spirit.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that [a person] which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Early dictionaries in English are based on the Bible.

Or are they based on the dominant religious belief of their day?

So, defining one's terms is exactly the correct answer.

Agree.

There are no verses that says God is matter.

There are also no verses that state that spirit is immaterial.
BibleGateway - Keyword Search: spirit is immaterial

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But there are verses that say that people are spirit.

from reading in context, it does not support your point. Try reading proof texts in context first.

12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 13 “Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

I cor 15
42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

Again read it in context, does not make your case.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that [a person] which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

There are no verses that says God is matter. God is not a creature, humans are creatures, angels are creatures too. We do know that angels can take on a human body.

I already gave a definition on spirit.

John 3
English Standard Version
You Must Be Born Again
3 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus[a] by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.[c] 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You[d] must be born again.’ 8 The wind[e] blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you[f] do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.[g] 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.[h]

For God So Loved the World
16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already,

Historical Christians believes that humans are made in God's image(spirit that comes from God). We also, have a physical body from the dirt.

Before God incarnated as Jesus God had no body.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
incorporeal
Something that has no material form or physical substance can be described as incorporeal. If you believe in spirits or ghosts that can't be touched or seen but only felt, then you believe in the incorporeal.
incorporeal - Dictionary Definition

Spiritual things are concerned with sacred matters or religion, affecting the spirit or the soul. Spiritual entities like ghosts lack a material body or substance.spiritual - Dictionary Definition

immaterial Share
Things that are immaterial have no physical form (like a ghost) or are unimportant (like most ghost stories).

Something that’s material has substance, right? You can touch it or it's important. So the opposite is the word immaterial, which means something that doesn't matter, or has no physical substance, or which adds nothing to the subject at hand
immaterial - Dictionary Definition

Spirit comes from the Latin word for "breath," and like breath, spirit is considered a fundamental part of being alive. Some people think of the spirit as a presence that's separate from the body, which is why spirit is another word for ghost. We also use spirit to mean "the general mood or intent," like when you tell your former enemy, "I approach you in the spirit of kindness."spirit - Dictionary Definition

Definition of spirit (Entry 1 of 2)
1: an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms
4: the immaterial intelligent or sentient part of a person

Definition of SPIRIT

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The King James has wrongly translated this verse from the Greek. It really says "God is spirit," not "a" spirit - there is no indefinite article in the Greek. Basically, Jesus is saying that God is invisible and immaterial.

What the Bible says about God is Immaterial

1 Thessalonians 5:23*
Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.
OPEN VERSE IN BIBLE (NLT)
Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.

https://www1.cbn.com/questions/what-are-the-three-parts-of-man

"The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial parts that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word spirit refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1–5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul’s writing, the spiritual is pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity that gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24)." What is the difference between the soul and spirit of man? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"
Immateriality of God
The immateriality of God simply means that God is not composed of material. In other words, God is not made of any kind of matter, material, or substance which entails that he cannot be seen. This is also understood as the invisibility of God. This conclusion is drawn from Scripture which teaches that God cannot be seen:

• "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1 Timothy 1:17)

• "...whom no one has seen or can see." (1 Timothy 6:16)

• "No one has ever seen God..." (John 1:18)

• "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities
    • his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:20)
  • "He is the image of the invisible God..." (Colossians 1:15)
Passages that speak of God's physical features
God does not have a body

Most theologians today hold that God is noncorporeal (does not have a body). One of the clearest passages from Scriptures is Luke 24:39, "Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

Jesus makes it clear that a spirit cannot be of flesh and bones (also see Numbers 23:19; Hosea 11:9; Job 9:32; Jeremiah 23:24; 1 Kings 8:27).

Also, One must also take notice to the second commandment which prohibits fashioning any image of God (Exodus 20:4; Deuteronomy 4:15-16). God is never to be thought of as an image, and instead is to be worshiped in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). Therefore, God cannot have a body. Robert Reymond agrees and notes that,

"no property of matter may be ascribed to him. He has no extension in space, no weight, no mass, no bulk, no parts, no form, no taste, no smell. He is invisible (1 Tim. 1:17; 6:16) and, being one in essence and without parts, is indivisible..." (Reymond, A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith, p. 167). Charles Hodge adds that,

"He is not extended or divisible, or compounded, or visible, or tangible...The Bible everywhere recognizes as true the intuitive convictions of men. One of those convictions is that spirit is not matter, or matter spirit; that different and incompatible attributes cannot belong to the same substance. In revealing, therefore, to us that God is a Spirit, it reveals to us that no attribute of matter can be predicated of the divine essence" (Hodge, Systematic Theology, vol. 1, pp. 378-379)."
https://www.theopedia.com/immateriality-of-god

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By any chance do you any Bible verses that show that spirit is not composed of matter? Do we need to look for religious understanding in a secular dictionary?

Again Secular Dictionary defines words as used in our Language.

I already answered your challenge. You are making a truth claim. It is up to you to prove a positive. Asking one to prove a negative is poor logic.

"This fallacy argues that because a premise has not be proven false, the premise must be true; or that, because a premise has not be proven true, the premise must be false"
Negative proof fallacy - Toolkit For Thinking

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S1477175600001287

The very lack of evidence is thus treated as evidence; the absence of smoke proves that the fire is very carefully hidden.
—C.S. Lewis

Argument from ignorance - RationalWiki

prove a negative is poor logic - Norton Safe Search

Upvote 0

natitude

Dec 19, 2020
✟22,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

from reading in context, it does not support your point. Try reading proof texts in context first.

12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 13 “Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 And God raised the Lord and will also raise us up by his power. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! 16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
The additional verses you provide don't change the context in the least. What other context could there possible be?

I cor 15
42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.
Again read it in context, does not make your case.
Read in context it plainly says that the resurrected Christ is spirit. The resurrected Christ has a body of flesh and bone. (See Phillipians 3:21.) Christ with his body of flesh and bone is spirit according to the Bible, so we can assume that John 4:24 teaches the same about God the Father.

There are no verses that says God is matter. God is not a creature, humans are creatures, angels are creatures too. We do know that angels can take on a human body.

I do like the passion expressed by the large font and colors.

I already gave a definition on spirit.
John 3
English Standard Version
You Must Be Born Again
3 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus[a] by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.[c] 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You[d] must be born again.’ 8 The wind[e] blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you[f] do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.[g] 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.[h]

For God So Loved the World
16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already,

Historical Christians believes that humans are made in God's image(spirit that comes from God). We also, have a physical body from the dirt.

Before God incarnated as Jesus God had no body.

Again, adding the other verses change nothing in the meaning of John 3:6.

Upvote 0

natitude

Dec 19, 2020
✟22,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Spirit comes from the Latin word for "breath," and like breath, spirit is considered a fundamental part of being alive.

One's breath includes the molecules that are inhaled and exhaled - molecules that are... material!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

natitude

Dec 19, 2020
✟22,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

The King James has wrongly translated this verse from the Greek. It really says "God is spirit," not "a" spirit - there is no indefinite article in the Greek. Basically, Jesus is saying that God is invisible and immaterial.

Au contraire...

Christopher Stead of the Cambridge Divinity School explains how a statement that God is spirit would have been interpreted within ancient Judaism:

By saying that God is spiritual, we do not mean that he has no body … but rather that he is the source of a mysterious life-giving power and energy that animates the human body, and himself possesses this energy in the fullest measure. (Christopher Stead, Philosophy in Christian Antiquity (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994), 98)

Stead also stated:

“The Hebrews . . . pictured the God whom they worshipped as having a body and mind like our own, though transcending humanity in the splendour of his appearance, in his power, his wisdom, and the constancy of his care for his creatures.” (Christopher Stead, Philosophy in Christian Antiquity (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994), 120)

Harvard Historian Harry Austryn Wolfson wrote:

in Scripture . . . there is no indication that by spirit and soul were meant any such principles as form or immateriality. (Wolfson, Philo, 2:95.)

https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/4600/God-is-Immaterial.htm
1 Thessalonians 5:23*
OPEN VERSE IN BIBLE (NLT)

https://www1.cbn.com/questions/what-are-the-three-parts-of-man

Note the above Wolfson quote.

"The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial parts that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word spirit refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1–5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul’s writing, the spiritual is pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity that gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24)." What is the difference between the soul and spirit of man? | GotQuestions.org

Now you're tossing softballs. Look what's written:

The spirit is the element in humanity that gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word spirit is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit

"element" is synonymous with matter! See element synonyms.

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The additional verses you provide don't change the context in the least. What other context could there possible be?

Read in context it plainly says that the resurrected Christ is spirit. The resurrected Christ has a body of flesh and bone. (See Phillipians 3:21.) Christ with his body of flesh and bone is spirit according to the Bible, so we can assume that John 4:24 teaches the same about God the Father.

I do like the passion expressed by the large font and colors.

Again, adding the other verses change nothing in the meaning of John 3:6.

Reading the texts in context friend shows that humans are made up of matter ( dust ) and spirit ( the part of us that is God's image. ).

Often when I forget the context of a verse quoted, I will post the full chapter.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Au contraire...

Christopher Stead of the Cambridge Divinity School explains how a statement that God is spirit would have been interpreted within ancient Judaism:

By saying that God is spiritual, we do not mean that he has no body … but rather that he is the source of a mysterious life-giving power and energy that animates the human body, and himself possesses this energy in the fullest measure. (Christopher Stead, Philosophy in Christian Antiquity (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994), 98)

Stead also stated:

“The Hebrews . . . pictured the God whom they worshipped as having a body and mind like our own, though transcending humanity in the splendour of his appearance, in his power, his wisdom, and the constancy of his care for his creatures.” (Christopher Stead, Philosophy in Christian Antiquity (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994), 120)

Harvard Historian Harry Austryn Wolfson wrote:

in Scripture . . . there is no indication that by spirit and soul were meant any such principles as form or immateriality. (Wolfson, Philo, 2:95.)

Note the above Wolfson quote.

Now you're tossing softballs. Look what's written:

"element" is synonymous with matter! See element synonyms.

Element is not always synonymous with matter, it depends on the context:

Grammar English–Spanish Spanish–English

Meaning of element in English

element
noun

US

/ˈel.ə.mənt/ UK

/ˈel.ɪ.mənt/

element noun (PART)
[ C ]
a part of something:
List the elements that make up a perfect dinner party.
The movie had all the elements of a good thriller.
We weren't even taught the elements of (= basic information about) physics at school.
More examples
SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases

Want to learn more?

Improve your vocabulary with English Vocabulary in Use from Cambridge.
Learn the words you need to communicate with confidence.

element noun (AMOUNT)

an element of sth
small amount of an emotion or quality:

There was certainly an element of truth in what she said.
Don't you think there's an element of jealousy in all of this?
We walked quietly up to the door to preserve the element of surprise.
More examples

element noun (SIMPLE SUBSTANCE)
[ C ]
a simple substance that cannot be reduced to smaller chemical parts:
Aluminum is an element.

element noun (EARTH, AIR, ETC.)
[ C ]
earth, air, fire, and water from which people in the past believed everything else was made

element noun (WEATHER)

the elements [ plural ]
weather, usually bad weather:
We decided to brave the elements and go for a walk (= go for a walk despite the bad weather).

element noun (ELECTRICAL PART)
[ C ]
the part of an electrical device that produces heat:
a heating element
The coffee maker needs a new element.
[ C, C ]

(UK usually ring)
a circular piece of material often made of metal that can be heated in order to be used for cooking:
a gas element
an electric element

Idioms
be in your element
be out of your element
(Definition of element from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

element | INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH

element
noun [ C ]

US

/ˈel·ə·mənt/

element noun [C] (PART)
parts of something that makes it work, or a quality that makes someone or something effective:
the heating element of a toaster
Having a second income is an important element for most home buyers.
They had all the elements of a great team.

element noun [C] (AMOUNT)
small amount or degree:
There was an element of truth in what she said, but it was an exaggeration.

element noun [C] (SUBSTANCE)
substance that cannot be reduced to smaller chemical parts and that has an atom different from that of any other substance

Idiom
in your element
(Definition of element from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)

EXAMPLES of element
element
Mascots work together with such other branding elements as names, logos, slogans, and jingles to increase the success of a product or company brand.
From Business InsiderOregonLive.comabundant element
Phosphorus was the most abundant element, with the lowest level at 4 and 5 weeks.
From the Cambridge English Corpusarchitectural element
The columns of the assessment matrix can be totalled to give scores for each architectural element.
From the Cambridge English Corpusbasic element
The first object which is a cube, represents very basic element of any solid part.
From the Cambridge English Corpus
element

Definition of element
1a: any of the four substances air, water, fire, and earth formerly believed to compose the physical universe
belements plural : weather conditions
especially : violent or severe weather
battling the elements
c: the state or sphere natural or suited to a person or thing
at school she was in her element
2: a constituent part: such as
aelements plural : the simplest principles of a subject of study : RUDIMENTS
b(1): a part of a geometric magnitude
an infinitesimal element of volume
(2): a generator of a geometric figure
also : a line or line segment contained in the surface of a cone or cylinder
(3): a basic member of a mathematical or logical class or set
(4): one of the individual entries in a mathematical matrix or determinant
c: a distinct group within a larger group or community
the criminal element in the city
d(1): one of the necessary data or values on which calculations or conclusions are based
(2): one of the factors determining the outcome of a process
e: any of the fundamental substances that consist of atoms of only one kind and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
f: a distinct part of a composite device
g: a subdivision of a military unit
3elements plural : the bread and wine used in the Eucharist
Definition of ELEMENT

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Process theology view of God
The concepts of process theology include: God is not omnipotent in the sense of being coercive. The divine has a power of persuasion rather than force. ... Because God contains a changing universe, God is changeable (that is to say, God is affected by the actions that take place in the universe) over the course of time.
Process Theology

"Process theism typically refers to a family of theological ideas originating in, inspired by, or in agreement with the metaphysical orientation of the English philosopher-mathematician Alfred North Whitehead (1861–1947) and the American philosopher-ornithologist Charles Hartshorne (1897–2000). For both Whitehead and Hartshorne, it is an essential attribute of God to be fully involved in and affected by temporal processes. This idea contrasts neatly with traditional forms of theism that hold God to be or at least conceived as being, in all respects non-temporal (eternal), unchanging (immutable,) and unaffected by the world (impassible). Process theism does not deny that God is in some respects eternal, immutable, and impassible, but it contradicts the classical view by insisting that God is in some respects temporal, mutable, and passible." Process Theism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

"Potentia as creativity (Whitehead) or I prefer "creative energy" is ontologically distinct from God. The process God shares the same power source with finite beings. God therefore does not have absolute coercive power but only has persuasive power. Although Alfred North Whitehead was not a confessing Christian, he believed that the best expression of divine persuasion was found in the life and teachings of Jesus. " PROCESS THEOLOGY

"Related to Process Theology, panentheism is essentially a combination of theism (God is the supreme being) and pantheism (God is everything). While pantheism says that God and the universe are coextensive, panentheism claims that God is greater than the universe and that the universe is contained within God." What is panentheism? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0