✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Man of Sorrows said:
Is anyone here into computer graphics? I've been using Paint Shop Pro for about five years. I'd love to talk about the program with any other experienced users.

God bless.
I'm on PSP 8 now..I started out with 5
I love doing animations and making graphics.

Upvote 0
I've been using PSP since version 6. I have 7 but have not yet bought 8. I can use the program with some skill but there are alot of aspects, in particular alpha channels that I have not even yet begun to tap. I think that the tutorials I've found on the web have helped me immensely in learning PSP.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey! What do ya know, I just spent five hours on PSP last night developing some 2D web graphics for a web site that I’m developing. I like PSP since it gets the job done.

Do you ever work with 3D modeling? I used to use 3Dmax but I’m learning a new app now. It’s called Blender and it is a 100% free 3D modeling app.

Upvote 0

jono1

Smart Simplicity
Oct 5, 2003
canberra
Visit site
✟557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
PSP is good software for the budget user, and it does get the job done, but in terms of web graphics and imagemaps and slices etc it's not so good...although yes it gets the job done it produces messy code and a lot more code than is necesary. If you're seriously into creating web graphics you should try Macromedia fireworks, it's completely optomised for the web and web tasks like imagemaps etc

..........but still, PSP is probably just as good
um you're kidding right?? you just have to look at the pricetag. PSP around $200 photoshop around $1000 (australian dollars) to see how much better photoshop is.

umm i do some 3d modelling for school, ie one of my subjects is called "graphics" and they teach us all about technical drawing and industrial design etc. we use Rhino 3 which is a lot more geared towards serious industrial design, not special effects and stuff like i hear 3ds max is. I've tried blender but I couldn't figure it out...I hear it's got a steep learning curve...

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jono1 said:
umm i do some 3d modelling for school, ie one of my subjects is called "graphics" and they teach us all about technical drawing and industrial design etc. we use Rhino 3 which is a lot more geared towards serious industrial design, not special effects and stuff like i hear 3ds max is. I've tried blender but I couldn't figure it out...I hear it's got a steep learning curve...
Oh I used Autodesk with Mastercam for years at work and it works for technical renderings and plottings very well. It was a nice step from plotting out all my calculations with Microsoft notepad… lol.

Yeah I used 3Dmax at home for just straight 3D modeling. 3Dmax was easy to use/learn but my version is very outdated and I don’t have a good reason to shell out the cash for a new version. So far I’m finding blender not tame at all for the beginner but it seems to work well. I haven’t used it enough to give it a fair review but some of the renderings I have seen from it are very sharp.

I’m still using PSP5 since I don’t even want to upgrade that either. It does what I need it to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
pretty expensive eh?
Perhaps, but it's what I'm used to... I've used Photoshop for years. I have a big collection of plugins that I used to play with, but I don't bother with them much now. The only time I really ever get serious with Photoshop is when I'm redesigning my website.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have both Photoshop 7 and PSP 7. I'm FAR more familiar with Photoshop so that's usually the one I stick with. I have Painter Classic that came with my tablet and I absolutely LOVE it. I really want to get the full version of Painter. It's also quite expensive...about $500-$600 US. But it's unmatched for traditional media results. I guess I'll just have to ask my sweet hubby for that for Christmas. Most of the CG stuff that I do involves sketching and trying to imitate traditional media. It can be done on photoshop by creating custom brushes but it's a big pain in the booty to get the results you want.

Love, Heather

Upvote 0
I have used PSP since version 4 and have version 7 Anniversary Edition now. It's the first graphics program I learned how to use and it's still my favorite.

I also have Fireworks MX and I use it for designing web page graphics because of the integration with Dreamweaver. There are still some things that I take into PSP if I can't get the effect I want with Fireworks though.
For just plain hobby graphics I use PSP. I learned how to use the program through tutorials online and at Paint Shop Pro Interactive Zone. I tried using Photoshop but found I could do the same things easier with PSP, and I can also use all of the Photoshop filters and plugins with PSP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I did not know that I can get PSP 8 for free.. but I think I 'll just stay with 7. I've heard some complaints about 8, (I can't remember what exactly at the moment). I've found that I've been able to do everything I need to do with PSP as far as hobby graphics go, and it's great that Photoshop filters can be converted to work perfectly with Paintshop Pro.

For web page design my opinion is that Fireworks is much better in that it integrates well with Dreamweaver and the source files are great. And attributes of a graphic are much easier to change at a later time than they are with PSP, (such as text font, style, color etc). Fireworks does have a bit of a steep learning curve though, and tutorials online are too few.

I really don't know anything about Photoshop except that I tried it once and found it too difficult to use but that may have just been my impatience. :)

Upvote 0