kissybug27

Oct 27, 2004
Tennessee
✟510.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I believe that most of the myths today about the south stem from The Beverly Hillbillies............it's a funny show but paints a nasty picture of the south. Also because we combine our words together and we can make any word rhyme with another that isn't even close to being the same sound. LOL. We are very colorful ain't we? I love living in Tennessee. Growed up in the mountains. I don't really use the word growed but felt it was fitting. LOL.

Upvote 0

LostnFound

Nov 21, 2004
Florida Panhandle
Visit site
✟8,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
savvy said:
It's insane some of the things I've heard people ask about the South. Friends of mine had internships in NY and were asked questions such as:
Do southerners wear shoes? Do they have cars? Do they have teeth?

What???

Someone asked my cousin whether she had to get a passport to visit NYC. A Canadian friend of mine seriously thought she would encounter shoeless hillbillies when she came here.

Has anyone ever been asked similar things? How do people know so very little about this region? Do they think we live in the dark ages???

Wayyyyyyyyyyy back in the dark ages ( ok, the 70's)... I had an 8th grade teacher from NY. He told us that when he stepped off the plane, in D/FW, he truly expected to see an oil derek in every backyard, and people riding horseback all over the place. After the hysterical laughter died down, we all learned a valuable lesson about pre-conceived notions! LOL Thinking about that still cracks me up!

Upvote 0

jaimegerise

Sep 28, 2004
✟879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm originally from Louisiana...and I HATE that so many people think that everyone in Louisiana has a pet alligator. I've never even SEEN one other than in a zoo! LOL

I also had a person once tell me that all people from Louisiana are in the KKK. THAT got me boiling, spitfire mad!:mad:

Upvote 0

LostnFound

Nov 21, 2004
Florida Panhandle
Visit site
✟8,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jaimegerise said:
I'm originally from Louisiana...and I HATE that so many people think that everyone in Louisiana has a pet alligator. I've never even SEEN one other than in a zoo! LOL

Been in Florida for more than seven years, and still haven't seen a wild gator, although I hear about it when they are in the neighborhood. I feel so gypped!! LOL

On the brighter side, a few weeks ago, I finally got to see a wild bear. It was standing up, on the other side of a small retention pond, right on our AFB! It was just standing there, watching the cars drive by. When it nearly caused a 4 car pile-up ( you betcha...we were ALL gauking!! hehehe), it seemed to realize it had been spotted, and hauled it back into the trees!

Upvote 0

kissybug27

Oct 27, 2004
Tennessee
✟510.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm from Tennessee. I love the state of LA. We have been to New Orleans twice. Once for our honeymoon 8 years ago and then last year on vacation. It was awesome. I had some ideas going down there about what I would see, hookers, crazy homeless people on the street, women running around with their tops off, voodoo shops, witches, just all kinds of stuff because of what I had heard on tv and what other people had told me, but it was so far from the truth, the same as is what people from other parts of the country think about the south. It's a beautiful place full of history. Although I did see a few things I had never seen before and did step into a voodoo shop for about 2 seconds it wasn't at all what I had expected.

As far as the alligator for a pet. Thoughout Miss and LA I looked for alligators trying to see one in the wild but the only one I have ever seen in the wild was a dead one on the road in GA. LOL. The only one I have ever seen as a pet was in Mississippi. My aunt lived in the lower part of the state and her neighbor had one in his front yard in a small pond with a large collar and chain connected to a wire that went across the yard. That was the biggest alligator I had ever seen.

A friend of mine on the internet told me a joke the other day and after he had he said he was sorry cause he thought he offended me cause Im from Tennessee ....the joke was .....what does Texas Tornados and Tennessee Divorces have in common....answer...someone is going to loose a trailor.........although it kinda annoyed me I wasn't offended. But if people came to Tennessee and Im sure as well as in Texas they would find out that more people live in houses then trailors. And anyway my grandmother lives in a trailor and has for as long as I can remember and there isn't one single thing wrong with it. For the first four years of my life I lived in a trailor till my dad built us a three story A frame house. But most of the people that live on the mountain I grew up on live in houses and own them too. You find very few people with cars in their yard and only on occassion do you find that person that put the mail box up by using a tire.

An on the subject of the kkk in the south. I don't know how it is for the rest of the south but I can speak for the area I'm from. Although we know that the kkk still exists in our area we never see them. A friend of mine came up on one of their bonfires one night but that is the only time I had ever heard of them being out. In all my 28 years we never had any kind of racists things happen that I know of. And believe me if it happened in a town of less then 10,000 people I would have heard about it. LOL.

I just think it's funny how we get ideas about other places like California is all rich and glamour and everyone that lives in florida has artifical turf for their yards decorated with pink flamingos, the mountains are covered with shoeless toothless moonshiners, my great grandfather was a moonshiner by the way and I dont think he was shoeless or toothless lol ......then you have New York that they are all rude, or that everyone that lives in New England owns a bed and breakfast. That all canadians speak french or that in Mexico all husbands beat their wives and grow pot. We have all sorts of people in this world and when it comes down to it everywhere is mixed up of the same types. There are hicks in Michigan just as well as here. The term red neck came from farmers because they worked outside and would get sunburns on their necks and last time I checked there are farms all over this country. An have you ever looked up to see what famous people came out of the south if not you should you might be suprised who is from right around where you live.

Im sorry my post is so long I tend to rattle. If I was ever given an Indian name it would be TALKS WATER UP HILL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sugarequalhyper

Nov 23, 2004
Louisiana
Visit site
✟159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
jaimegerise said:

I also had a person once tell me that all people from Louisiana are in the KKK. THAT got me boiling, spitfire mad!:mad:
I heard you on that one. When i moved to Texas for a couple of years, everyone asked me if I flashed people at Mardi Gras...every thinks it means big party. It made FAT TUESDAY!

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
well the first time I went to Cherokee, NC, I looked for people to be living in tipee (spelling?). Only bear I saw out loose was in Cades Cove in the Smokey Mts. I know I talk with a Southern accent. The strangest food I ate was a bite of goat meat. Now goat meat is sold in the grocery stores. We have so many Hispanic people around here that I wonder if I will also have to learn Spanish where I work. It still bugs me that on t.v. when I hear others trying to fake a Southern accent (and sound like the ones on "Gone With the Wind"). We don't sound like Southern Belles, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kissybug27

Oct 27, 2004
Tennessee
✟510.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have so many times had people call me a southern belle......not.......I'm just a good ole gal from the Tennessee Hills ........i guess you could call me a hick or a hillbilly but far from a belle..........LOL....as far as the accents go even within the state of Tennessee you find different accents ....i once has two ladies from Memphis make fun of my southern accent. I think that is the only time I have ever wanted to smack someone for making fun of the way I talk.

Upvote 0

kissybug27

Oct 27, 2004
Tennessee
✟510.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
NaasPreacher said:
Don't all southern women wear "big hair"? :);)
That would be a " ah no" ^_^

Not even if you will but I will say that there are alot of women here that have big hair but those are the ones that aren't willing to let the 80's go. LOL

Upvote 0