Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's insane some of the things I've heard people ask about the South. Friends of mine had internships in NY and were asked questions such as:
Do southerners wear shoes? Do they have cars? Do they have teeth?

What???

Someone asked my cousin whether she had to get a passport to visit NYC. A Canadian friend of mine seriously thought she would encounter shoeless hillbillies when she came here.

Has anyone ever been asked similar things? How do people know so very little about this region? Do they think we live in the dark ages???

`Raine

resilient
Sep 25, 2004
NC
✟571.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've got it double here. Not only do I live in the south, but in the southern Appalachians. It seems like even other Southerners think us mountain people are all hicks and hillbilles. Most of my family live at the coast, and I've got some wierd questions and things too. My dad was scared I'd end up at a "snake handling" churchu when I told him I was looking for a Pentecostal church up here, and a lot of people back home thing everyone is dirt poor or "backwards" in their way of thinking. My sister thought for surem because I married a boy from the moauntains, that I'd end up with a drunk who wouldn't lt me work, and living in a shack with 8 kids. I don't know where people get some of their ideas. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
Oh, you mean like, "keep the wife bare foot and pregnant", that kind of stuff. Like they think we eat possoms and chitterlings and talk like people from "The Beverly Hillbillies". I live in Alabama and there is a place call Bug Tussle near here. On the "Beverly Hillbillies" they joked about it being in the ozarks but actually its in Cullman county. People make fun of our southern accent but we southerners can mostly understand it fine. But then when we go somewhere and get lost, know the weird feeling of saying, " I came from Alabama"... and they think it is a line from "O Suzannah"

Upvote 0

rosenherman

Sparkly rainbow butterfly kitten
Aug 25, 2004
Right coast
✟12,972.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
I lived in NY about 35 years ago (I was still in grade school) and they asked me if we lived on a farm and if we had slaves!!! They were very disappointed to find out we had lived in a house in suburbs and when we returned to Virginia we'd be living in an apartment.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
rosenherman said:
I lived in NY about 35 years ago (I was still in grade school) and they asked me if we lived on a farm and if we had slaves!!! They were very disappointed to find out we had lived in a house in suburbs and when we returned to Virginia we'd be living in an apartment.

Actually my grandmother owned a farm in NY up until a few years ago (no slaves except for the younginns' of course).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southern Cross

Conservative Republican Hippy People Shooter
Oct 29, 2004
Sunny Central Florida, USA (woo hoo!)
✟17,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yup, we all just sit around on our porches, fanning ourselves with our newspapers, swattin' mosquitoes and watching the okra grow. That's our Monday. Weekends are quite a bit slower. Our women have tabacco spitting contests at the church functions, and once in a while we have to go pick up a tooth. Old Bessie the midwife just glues it back in with nail glue, sure does a fine job and we pay her in chicken eggs. The men shoot live rattlesnakes off each other's heads just for the fun of it, then fry up the leftovers along with some gator and possum. Then we all head on over to the neighbors house to watch huntin' and fishin' movies of uncle Ned's vacation from back in '62. Oh, yeah, Jeb's old pickup truck backfired and old Sheriff Porter thought he was under attack and shot a hole in his foot. That was last year, but it's still in the paper on the front page along with Martha's latest Rhubarb Pie recipe.

Honestly, folks, I laughed when I saw this thread out there. Most people in my area of Florida came from NY, NJ, CT and PA... Chicago and Michigan seem to be pretty well represented, too. But we still race old school buses on a figure eight track, and we still have airboats for gator chasing (it's all fun until you have to pick bugs out of your teeth). Trust me, the quality of life down here is pretty good. When you are fighting bitter cold weather up North, I'm down here fishing in the surf in my shorts and a tank top. I will not go back up north unless I really have to. The only real southern thing that's happened to me since I came down here is my 80 year old neighbor was out in his saggy fruit of the loom underwear one morning shooting at squirrels with his pistol. That was before other houses were built on our street. He's turned out to be the nicest guy around!

Upvote 0

Locket

Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Oh wow. Ppl are really mixed up. lol
I had a friend move down here from NY. She expected everyone to speak in this really deep accent (which we don't) and she was amazed at all the lizards!! I had never even really thought about them before...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Locket

Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wanna hear a Fl joke?

Ok these four guys were goin on a road trip. A guy from Idaho, a guy from New York, a guy from Nebraska and a guy from Florida.
They had been driving for a day or two when all of the sudden the Idaho guy rips open his suitcase, grabs a bag of potatoes and throws them out the window.
"What was with that?" they asked.
"Those things are everywhere at home and I'm sick of them!" The other three nodded, it made sense.
Then the Nebraska guy was inspired by the other guy's actions so he opened his suitcase and dumped out an armload of corn.
"What was with that?" they asked.
"Those things are everywhere at home and I'm sick of them!" He cried. The other three nodded, it made sense.
The Florida guy was inspired by the actions of the other two so he opened his dorr and pushed out the New York guy... :)

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born and raised in north-central Alabama (Birmingham.) Birmingham is very hilly and is very woodsy (there's a word I think only we southern folk use.) Anyway, I was entertaining a business client from Massachusetts and as we were out driving he said, "Wow, this place is really pretty. I can't believe how hilly and green it is. I thought it would be all flat & dusty." :D I cannot imagine thinking of northern Alabama being described as flat & dusty. :p

Upvote 0

crazy4Christ007

Lithander
Jul 16, 2004
USA
✟6,845.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lol wow i love me south! We do still have customs down here though. i mean I heard yankees call a coke--pop! haha what is pop? yall that was so funny when i heard it bc i had no idea what she was taking about and she had to explain that to me. It tells im a southern redneck

Upvote 0