USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upcoming Show "Crack" Puts Blacks as Slave Owners and Whites as Slaves courtesy of AllHipHop News

Cracka Trailer

The upcoming series "Cracka" is likely to cause a storm of controversy for the premise: "What if the roles were reversed in slavery?

The movie offers a present-day so-called white supremacist who is magically thrust back in time to an alternate past where Africans enslave whites and rule the land known as America.

A synopsis explains, "In a world where white privilege, systematic oppression, and minority protest in order to break the chains of bondage runs regular, white supremacist Michael Stone is doing everything he can to maintain his privilege by exercising every opportunity to ensure the America he knows and loves continues to remain pure and more importantly, remain white!"

The movie is the brainchild of director Dale Resteghini, a white man born in Boston, Massachusetts that made his mark with rap videos. Resteghini worked with a colorful ensemble of artists including Pitbull, Akon, Lil Wayne, Ice Cube, Guns N Roses, Flo Rida, RZA, TYGA, Soulja Boy, Ty Dolla, Nicki Minaj, Diddy. Now, he is taking his talents in a new, controversial manner.

In the trailer of the movie, which is slated for a fall 2020 release, the protagonist - tatted with racist Nazi symbols - begins to harass an African American motorist. It is at that point that the violence starts. After the lead character rains down blows on the motorist, the pseudo-Nazi returns to his home. He then finds himself staring at the barrel of a shotgun and enslaved.

"Cracka" then relives all of the horrors of slavery such as rape, beatings, and even name changes. The series stars a bevy of talents including Lorenzo Antonucci, Hakeen Kae-Kazim, rapper Saigon, Kathryn Kates, and James Darnell.

The cast isn't simply Black people perpetrating the same sick injustices as their counterparts.

"Cracka doesn’t just tackle racism; it confronts it in a way you can’t possibly imagine. This unique series forces us - as a people, society, and overall a collective human unit - to look past color, look past our fears and pain, and see ourselves as people through the much-needed lens of love."

The series does not have a date but is expected to hit in the fall of 2020, just in time for the American presidential election.

Question: Does the show help or hinder race relations? Share your thoughts.

~Bella

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The upcoming series "Cracka" is likely to cause a storm of controversy for the premise: "What if the roles were reversed in slavery?

Robert Heinlein was there first. A nuclear explosion sends people forward into a time when blacks are rulers and whites are slaves. It was an extremely controversial book.

11229.jpg

This unique series forces us - as a people, society, and overall a collective human unit - to look past color, look past our fears and pain, and see ourselves as people through the much-needed lens of love.

I don't see how the show, as described, will do that.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Robert Heinlein was there first. A nuclear explosion sends people forward into a time when blacks are rulers and whites are slaves. It was an extremely controversial book. I don't see how the show, as described, will do that.

Thanks for sharing the book. I'll check it out. It reminds me of John Norman's Gor series. No matter how you spin it oppression stinks. Stirring the point won't help. Maybe that's the point.

~Bella

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing the book. I'll check it out.

I'm not recommending it, mind you. I thought it was a lousy book, for all kinds of reasons. I mentioned it only to show that the "reversal" idea isn't new.

A much better SF treatment of slavery would be Heinlein's "Citizen of the Galaxy," or this book by John Brunner:

IntoTheSlaveNebula.jpg

In fact, any SF book or film about androids (e.g. Blade Runner, or the android sub-theme in Aliens) is generally an exploration of racial issues "in code," so to speak -- and probably a better method than the "reversal" idea, because it's more subtle.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upcoming Show "Crack" Puts Blacks as Slave Owners and Whites as Slaves courtesy of AllHipHop News

Cracka Trailer

The movie offers a present-day so-called white supremacist who is magically thrust back in time to an alternate past where Africans enslave whites and rule the land known as America. Question: Does the show help or hinder race relations? Share your thoughts.

~Bella

Not sure if this will help racism on a massive scale. However I do believe may open some people's eyes and hearts. The question remains would the same thing be happening today if the roles were reversed? I don't know. The phrase power corrupts comes to mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not recommending it, mind you. I thought it was a lousy book, for all kinds of reasons. I mentioned it only to show that the "reversal" idea isn't new.

I'm glad you mentioned it. I cover several titles on income inequality and race relations every year. I don't mind addressing it from different angles.

A much better SF treatment of slavery would be Heinlein's "Citizen of the Galaxy," or this book by John Brunner

I don't read a lot of fantasy. But I can fit them in this year.

In fact, any SF book or film about androids (e.g. Blade Runner, or the android sub-theme in Aliens) is generally an exploration of racial issues "in code," so to speak -- and probably a better method than the "reversal" idea, because it's more subtle.

Thanks Rads. That's a great addition to the thread. It allows participants to explore the subject further. :)

~Bella

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure if this will help racism on a massive scale. However I do believe may open some people's eyes and hearts. The question remains would the same thing be happening today if the roles were reversed? I don't know. The phrase power corrupts comes to mind.

The timing is questionable. We're at a feverish pitch on the subject. You can only stoke the fire so much before it erupts.

~Bella

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Cracka Trailer

The movie offers a present-day so-called white supremacist who is magically thrust back in time to an alternate past where Africans enslave whites and rule the land known as America.

A synopsis explains, "In a world where white privilege, systematic oppression, and minority protest in order to break the chains of bondage runs regular, white supremacist Michael Stone is doing everything he can to maintain his privilege by exercising every opportunity to ensure the America he knows and loves continues to remain pure and more importantly, remain white!"

The movie is the brainchild of director Dale Resteghini, a white man born in Boston, Massachusetts that made his mark with rap videos. Resteghini worked with a colorful ensemble of artists including Pitbull, Akon, Lil Wayne, Ice Cube, Guns N Roses, Flo Rida, RZA, TYGA, Soulja Boy, Ty Dolla, Nicki Minaj, Diddy. Now, he is taking his talents in a new, controversial manner.

In the trailer of the movie, which is slated for a fall 2020 release, the protagonist - tatted with racist Nazi symbols - begins to harass an African American motorist. It is at that point that the violence starts. After the lead character rains down blows on the motorist, the pseudo-Nazi returns to his home. He then finds himself staring at the barrel of a shotgun and enslaved.

"Cracka" then relives all of the horrors of slavery such as rape, beatings, and even name changes. The series stars a bevy of talents including Lorenzo Antonucci, Hakeen Kae-Kazim, rapper Saigon, Kathryn Kates, and James Darnell.

The cast isn't simply Black people perpetrating the same sick injustices as their counterparts.

"Cracka doesn’t just tackle racism; it confronts it in a way you can’t possibly imagine. This unique series forces us - as a people, society, and overall a collective human unit - to look past color, look past our fears and pain, and see ourselves as people through the much-needed lens of love."

The series does not have a date but is expected to hit in the fall of 2020, just in time for the American presidential election.

~Bella

I just think it further highlights race relations, I don't think it as a standalone it helps nor hinders. I don't see it as content to educate the masses on things that people don't know about, as the effectiveness is that people coming in have some form of awareness on slavery and racism prior to watching.

When it comes to strong controversal content, especially something visual, it does affect the spirit.It kinda reminds me of that show 13 Reasons Why, while the hopes is that it bring light to suicidal issues, a number of teens were actually inspired by the show and committed suicide, which is not what was intended. It forced the cast to put more disclaimers on future episode at the start and end, things being depicted is just a show and what steps need to be taken when addressing the topic (e.g. "talk to a counselor, don't kill yourself talk to your family about what you learned. etc).

So I think a controversal topic need to be also clear to the audience on intentions as well as follow-up actions that people should take after in having conversations. In short, the creators gotta guide people on the thought process. So maybe it would need disclaimers. If its left to people to intrepret on their own, and just showing it as shock-value content, I fear that there could be follow-up cases that would be inspired by the show to replicate some of the scenes or justifies whatever skepticism is behind the BLM. That would defeat the purpose of the message.

I'm ok with shock, if its followed up with a meaningful call to action, or encourage conversations on points hit in the movie. That would make it be a fruitful movie.Unless the message is revenge, then I wouldn't support that.

The timing I understand, its like putting out a movie about being single on valentine's day. The movie is suppose to be a critic on current events. More people are gonna want to watch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The timing is questionable. We're at a feverish pitch on the subject. You can only stoke the fire so much before it erupts.

Exactly.

What makes the "android" metaphor so sneakily powerful is it begins by making us buy into the inferiority of androids, and then forces us to question our prejudice.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So I think a controversal topic need to be also clear to the audience on intentions as well as follow-up actions that people should take after in having conversations.

I recall an episode on Criminal Minds, The Wheels on the Bus. The story line involved a group of teens taken hostage by their peers and placed into a life or death video game the pair constructed. True survival of the fittest.

I remember my grandmother's disgust. She felt it shouldn't have been televised. It was sick and might appeal to a troubled mind. I agreed. There are some things we don't need to visualize or have lingering in our head.

~Bella

• Agree
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exactly.

What makes the "android" metaphor so sneakily powerful is it begins by making us buy into the inferiority of androids, and then forces us to question our prejudice.

I felt the same way about The Hunger Games. I thought it would desensitize the viewer to what they were witnessing. Once you swallow that The Purge is easier to accept.

~Bella

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I recall an episode on Criminal Minds, The Wheels on the Bus. The story line involved a group of teens taken hostage by their peers and placed into a life or death video game the pair constructed. True survival of the fittest.

I remember my grandmother's disgust. She felt it shouldn't have been televised. It was sick and might appeal to a troubled mind. I agreed. There are some things we don't need to visualize or have lingering in our head.

~Bella

That's true, but at the same time some people felt that way about "The Passion Of The Christ". Is everyone required to watch The Passion Of the Christ to know or understand what the Crucificion meant? No. But visualizing it is an effective way to show the magnitude of the situation and drive conversation from it.

So those types of showing is not meant to be appealing, but its created because its a critic on the heart of man and the end results or its just recounting a historical event to reminds us on how we end up where we end up. I understand that part of it is the aesthetic which is arguable, but if you're trying to also get sales and have as much people as possible watching it, then it will always be a factor for the success of the showing.

I can understand if the sole existence of it is to encourage it from happening as oppose to what most movies especially sci-fi does, observe the trends of society and make a critic and/or prediction though story-telling.

Everyone are gonna have their opinion on it, but have a choice to watch or not watch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I felt the same way about The Hunger Games.

I found The Hunger Games disturbing. At several points it seemed to be doing the opposite of what I thought it should.

It seemed to me to be feeding people thought patterns that justify immoral behaviour.

... whereas Blade Runner, though violent, had a positive message.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found The Hunger Games disturbing. At several points it seemed to be doing the opposite of what I thought it should.

It seemed to me to be feeding people thought patterns that justify immoral behaviour.

When you're introducing a diabolical concept you take a sympathetic angle before you show your hand. That's what The Hunger Games provided. The Purge began with undesirables. Privilege was understated. By the last film it was evident. Then we move to The Joker and revolt is on the menu. The avenue is lawlessness. But don't forget The Handmaiden's Tale. They promoted it for a reason.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But don't forget The Handmaiden's Tale. They promoted it for a reason.

That seemed to me to be basically the anti-Christian version of Goebbels's films about how Jews are rats -- creating a ridiculous distortion of reality, and then tricking people into accepting it as the truth.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cracka Trailer

~Bella

Interesting. Hard to say what the effect will be, eh. Probably it will rile the white supremacists up, it’s what they most fear perhaps, being the nail instead of the hammer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That seemed to me to be basically the anti-Christian version of Goebbels's films about how Jews are rats -- creating a ridiculous distortion of reality, and then tricking people into accepting it as the truth.

I read the book and it was good. But she was everywhere and there's two seasons of content. The first question is why followed by why now? Subjection and powerlessness is the theme. But The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is playing simultaneously. Subjection turned on its head. She's liberated.

When I watch something I like to know their angle. What's the bottom line? Robert Cialdini's Influence is a great introduction to persuasion and how its employed in the market. Mind you, I do it for a living. I'm more in tune to suggestive practices.

As for Cracka, I'd need to see it first. But I wonder whose buttons they're trying to push.

~Bella

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The result is that between 1530 and 1780 there were almost certainly 1 million and quite possibly as many as 1.25 million white, European Christians enslaved by the Muslims of the Barbary Coast.

Davis said his research into the treatment of these slaves suggests that, for most of them, their lives were every bit as difficult as that of slaves in America.

“As far as daily living conditions, the Mediterranean slaves certainly didn’t have it better,” he said.

While African slaves did grueling labor on sugar and cotton plantations in the Americas, European Christian slaves were often worked just as hard and as lethally – in quarries, in heavy construction, and above all rowing the corsair galleys themselves.

Davis said his findings suggest that this invisible slavery of European Christians deserves more attention from scholars.

Research Suggests White Slavery Was Much More Common

Upvote 0