Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Nanny paves the way for Big Brother. But it's for our own good! Under what other circumstances might it become acceptable for the government to shut off necessary utilities that people pay for?

The mayor of LA threatened to cut power and water to houses hosting parties after YouTube and TikTok stars kept gathering despite COVID restrictions

"The Mayor of Los Angeles said he is authorizing the county to shut off water and power to houses that host large gatherings despite the coronavirus restrictions.

Eric Garcetti's announcement came at a press conference on Wednesday, after a series of high-profile parties in Los Angeles, including those involving YouTube and TikTok stars.

According to The Daily Beast, Garcetti said: "Starting on Friday night, if LAPD responds and verifies that a large gathering is occurring at a property, and we see these properties offending time and time again, they will provide notice and initiate the process to request that DWP shut off service within the next 48 hours."

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nanny paves the way for Big Brother. But it's for our own good!

The mayor of LA threatened to cut power and water to houses hosting parties after YouTube and TikTok stars kept gathering despite COVID restrictions

"The Mayor of Los Angeles said he is authorizing the county to shut off water and power to houses that host large gatherings despite the coronavirus restrictions.

Eric Garcetti's announcement came at a press conference on Wednesday, after a series of high-profile parties in Los Angeles, including those involving YouTube and TikTok stars.

According to The Daily Beast, Garcetti said: "Starting on Friday night, if LAPD responds and verifies that a large gathering is occurring at a property, and we see these properties offending time and time again, they will provide notice and initiate the process to request that DWP shut off service within the next 48 hours."

They could just say it's a protest. We all know protests are ok and can't spread the virus. Lol

Upvote 0

Davist

WWJD?
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest
✟17,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nanny paves the way for Big Brother. But it's for our own good! Under what other circumstances might it become acceptable for the government to shut off necessary utilities that people pay for?

I feel like shutting off utilities is being lenient, given they're creating a public health risk. Not only that, the danger these influencers are creating is completely frivolous. These are full blown, crowded, insane house parties in a state where the virus is a big problem. If LA relapses again and they have to go into another shutdown mode after parties like this, the loss in business and livelihood will be partially on this man-child Jake Paul.

They could just say it's a protest. We all know protests are ok and can't spread the virus. Lo

You can spread the virus at protests, but being outside and wearing masks makes it much safer compared to these house parties, where I see no masks and the festivities take place partially indoors, sharing bathrooms and eating areas. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like shutting off utilities is being lenient, given they're creating a public health risk. Not only that, the danger these influencers are creating is completely frivolous. These are full blown, crowded, insane house parties in a state where the virus is a big problem. If LA relapses again and they have to go into another shutdown mode after parties like this, the loss in business and livelihood will be partially on this man-child Jake Paul.

You can spread the virus at protests, but being outside and wearing masks makes it much safer compared to these house parties, where I see no masks and the festivities take place partially indoors, sharing bathrooms and eating areas. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Video after video shows the protestors not wearing masks, packed in side by side and screaming at the top of their lungs. Not to mention all the damage they are doing to property. If we aren't going to crack down on the worst offenders why do anything at all?

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Davist

WWJD?
Aug 1, 2020
Midwest
✟17,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Video after video shows the protestors not wearing masks,

I'm sure there's many examples of people protesting without masks. There's also many examples of protesters with masks, like this for example: (Watch the video in this article, looks like mostly everyone is wearing masks)

A ‘Wall of Vets’ Joins the Front Lines of Portland Protests

I still stand by that being an unfair comparison.

If we aren't going to crack down on the worst offenders why do anything at all?

By the way, they are cracking down on protests. However, that aside, if protests were in fact a 'worst offender' I wouldn't disagree with you. However, I don't think there's much evidence that's accurate:

Little Evidence That Protests Spread Coronavirus in US

Jake Paul on the other hand, has publicly stated he has had direct contact with someone infected with COVID-19, yet continues to blow off the social distance orders. In the video below, Jake Paul's friend calls him to tell him he tested positive after coming in close contact with Jake and his friends. When asked if he was worried, Jake's response was: "Not really". Then someone in the background shouted: "We don't care!"

(Skip to 9minuets in)

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What momentum there is to remove people from society...

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

When I first read this, I thought they were going to shut off the utilities in order to stop the party. That might make sense as a way to disperse the crowd, I guess. But that's not what it sounds like they're doing. It sounds like they're just shutting them off as a form of punishment? That doesn't make sense. It's "a day late and a dollar short."

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I first read this, I thought they were going to shut off the utilities in order to stop the party. That might make sense as a way to disperse the crowd, I guess. But that's not what it sounds like they're doing. It sounds like they're just shutting them off as a form of punishment? That doesn't make sense. It's "a day late and a dollar short."
Well it would make you think about how many people you are going to have over for a party. Sounds like a good deterrent to me. Non confrontational too at least for the police. Sure they could go in the homes with charges like disturbing the peace or mandate violations, but that would involve direct confrontation and could go poorly. Instead they are targeting the serial offenders with a practical solution.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Instead they are targeting the serial offenders with a practical solution.

Parties are moveable. It ends up looking like the keystone cops. Let's keep in mind, we're not talking about your work-a-day crowd. These are you-tube megastars. I'm sure they're resourceful, besides being inconsiderate.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure there's many examples of people protesting without masks. There's also many examples of protesters with masks, like this for example: (Watch the video in this article, looks like mostly everyone is wearing masks)

A ‘Wall of Vets’ Joins the Front Lines of Portland Protests

I still stand by that being an unfair comparison.

By the way, they are cracking down on protests. However, that aside, if protests were in fact a 'worst offender' I wouldn't disagree with you. However, I don't think there's much evidence that's accurate:

Little Evidence That Protests Spread Coronavirus in US

Jake Paul on the other hand, has publicly stated he has had direct contact with someone infected with COVID-19, yet continues to blow off the social distance orders. In the video below, Jake Paul's friend calls him to tell him he tested positive after coming in close contact with Jake and his friends. When asked if he was worried, Jake's response was: "Not really". Then someone in the background shouted: "We don't care!"

(Skip to 9minuets in)

I met a few liberals when I served. Never really understood why they joined. They hated the country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Can't say I'm a fan of turning off utilities. When you do that you eventually find you create cases where innocents in a home could be left without essential services, could be some Grandparent living in the house or small children who didn't have anything to do with the stupid thing some other family member did.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why wouldn’t the city just have them arrested? Why shut off utilities? They could have a generator, they could go somewhere else. Why not just make it a misdemeanor offense to hold these parties and let the law enforcement handle it? If it is a danger to the public then this should be no problem to accomplish.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can't say I'm a fan of turning off utilities. When you do that you eventually find you create cases where innocents in a home could be left without essential services, could be some Grandparent living in the house or small children who didn't have anything to do with the stupid thing some other family member did.

Absolutely, even if it’s not true people can create all kinds of excuses to cause problems with this idea of cutting off utilities. They could have the police come in and disperse them or even arrest them if they make it illegal due to public health concerns. I think this is a job for the legislative branch and the police not the city utilities.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

A good nonviolent way to fine people for being stupid.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A good nonviolent way to fine people for being stupid.

These people are defiant of the authorities and will continually seek ways to defy them and continue the party. Turning off the utilities won’t end the party they won’t admit to defeat so easily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These people are defiant of the authorities and will continually seek ways to defy them and continue the party. Turning off the utilities won’t end the party they won’t admit to defeat so easily.
Sure they can get around it. Poor people do that all of the time but many venues will end the gatherings.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Yeah I was thinking of posting on this myself. As Tim Pool points out, this is a violation of basic human rights. (And there has been some legal action in the US based on that).

Human Rights | UN-Water

For those that complain and whine that "Trump is a Fascist!" how can you justify this?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I was thinking of posting on this myself. As Tim Pool points out, this is a violation of basic human rights. (And there has been some legal action in the US based on that).

Human Rights | UN-Water

For those that complain and whine that "Trump is a Fascist!" how can you justify this?

Because human rights include the right not to be killed by iditioos during pandemic, and human rights allow for closing of things for health reasons. it's not rocket science....but appears to be too advanced for kindergarten level for many americans.

Human Rights Dimensions of COVID-19 Response

Upvote 0