Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The sister of one of my dear friends has Celiac disease, and she receives without any harm. I know of two priests who were stopped for random breath testing after they had consumed the rest of the gifts at the Liturgies they had served in shortly before and they both blew zero.

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The sister of one of my dear friends has Celiac disease, and she receives without any harm. I know of two priests who were stopped for random breath testing after they had consumed the rest of the gifts at the Liturgies they had served in shortly before and they both blew zero.
I believe you. But when I have just searched about this topic, I found an old exchange about a EO woman whose young son physically reacted negatively after taking communion because of celiac disease (I want to post the link, but I might end up violating this forum's rules). So if that's the case, is it allowable for Eastern Orthodox to believe that such incidents happen.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you can post the link I think because it's just for information.

but I have a godsister with celiac disease, she always communes, and nothing happens.

now, just a thought, but did the kid have prosphora or Litya bread? because neither of those are the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

but I have a godsister with celiac disease, she always communes, and nothing happens.

now, just a thought, but did the kid have prosphora or Litya bread? because neither of those are the Eucharist.

Sure here it is Orthodox Communion and Celiac Disease ?. The one who posted last in the last page of this discussion is the woman I am talking about.

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

And yes, it is specifically about communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Was her case serious enough that a little gluten would cause her to have serious physical reaction?

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
if it's the one at the bottom, she does say her son can tolerate it.
Yes. But in her first posts in the first few pages of the discussion, she had said that her son had reacted very negatively to communion when he was younger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. But in her first posts in the first few pages of the discussion, she had said that her son had reacted very negatively to communion when he was younger.

well, I can't speak to that, only that no one I have ever met with celiac or alcoholism has ever had a negative reaction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Was her case serious enough that a little gluten would cause her to have serious physical reaction?
I don't know any other details. My friend lived in Greece and her sister lived in the UK.

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand that you believe the Eucharist cannot transmit disease such as Covid-19. But, are you allowed to believe that the physical properties of the Eucharist can have negative effects on people with celiac disease or with alcoholic addiction?

If The Eucharist did not affect people with celiac disease it would be repeatable miracle that defied the laws of nature as we understand it.

Now maybe someone would have made a bigger case out if it then the usual “my grandma tolerates it just fine” ?

Same with this

if it's not universal it should be. you can't say the medicine of immortality spreads deadly disease.

Of course it can spread the virus. Food just is not very efficient vector for the virus apparently.

If the virus died immediately after touching Eucharist or something don’t you think someone would have made news out of it.

Repeatable miracle. It would be the greatest news of the century. Far bigger than the virus itself.

But we have no news like that do we ?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

there is a difference between the Eucharist itself, which cannot transmit disease, and the spoon which might be able to.

• Informative
Reactions: trulytheone
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course it can spread the virus. Food just is not very efficient vector for the virus apparently.

If the virus died immediately after touching Eucharist or something don’t you think someone would have made news out of it.

Repeatable miracle. It would be the greatest news of the century. Far bigger than the virus itself.

But we have no news like that do we ?

well, I can say that I have consumed the chalice after communing sick people, and have never gotten sick.

we don't need to make news, when it's that common place in Orthodox Churches. it's actually pretty much expected.

plus, since you're not Orthodox, you don't really shouldn't speak concerning OUR Eucharistic theology.

and, as I have said on other threads, I have a Godsister who is celiac. she has never had a negative issue with the Eucharist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What the heck is celiac disease and why would a tiny morsel of what has been a staple diet of western man forever kill you?

Coeliac disease - Wikipedia

It does not kill you. Just makes you ill with varying decree of hardship depending how bad your coeliac disease is.

Covid19 might. That is the virus we are talking about.

Two different diseases.

we don't need to make news, when it's that common place in Orthodox Churches. it's actually pretty much expected.

Repeatable miracle that could be verified and you think some bishop would not have tested it to announce to the world that this was the sign of true faith......?

Or some curious Orthodox scientist ?

Nobody ever ? Honestly how likely is that ?

Instead we have sites like

https://www.celiac.ca/pdfs/GF_Communion.pdf

Which clearly demonstrate that there is a need for gluten free or low gluten products when partaking Eucharist.

Anyway can you link Holy Synod or something official to confirm this or is it more of custom that should not be questioned or talked about ?

Upvote 0